Garage lifts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
anyone here actually work on their cars much?

if so, ever looked into buying a lift for your garage and look into what works and what doesn't?

i was just browsing through tonight, and there seemed to be a huge difference in cost depending on if you get a two post, four post lift, and who makes them.

so, who knows?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I plan on putting in a monkey pit, at least, if I ever build a house.

Much cheaper than a lift, but not quite as versatile.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I use 4 Sears Craftsman jacks (sorry-- forgot the English term for this) on my Porsche. Works great. Or a Really Big Floor Jack. I can change all four wheels in 20 minutes with this setup.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    My neighbor has a 4 post lift in his garage, I'll ask him.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i have nothing to offer this thread but a simpsons quote:

Quote:

Moe: Garage? Hey fella's the Garaaage. Well ooh la-di-da Mr. Frenchman.

Homer: Well what do you call it?

Moe: A car hold.

• Reply 5 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    hmm, let me know what you find out. a monkey pit isn't a bad idea, but i'd have to tear up cement to do it, which doesn't seem all that cheap to me.

• Reply 6 of 6
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    Warning: those monkey pits can be dangerouse. I know a man that used to be a fireman. One late night he was called on duty to fight a engine fire at Grease Monkey. As he was walking into the building and accross the garage floor he feel a good 6 or 7 feet right on his back. He has a hard time walking now and has never fought a fire since. SO, look at your options and see if a jack would really be that much more--afterall it might be worth even a little extra for the safety and good look (not to mention functionality).