where did all the strawberry ibooks go?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
having recently got my new (but used)clamshell ibook, my mother was admiring it (its blueberry).

she remembers using what i presume was os 9 on some imacs when she went back to college a few years ago and also likes the look of os x on mine.

trouble is that if my mum wants an ibook she said she'd want either a strawberry or indigo one. neither are colours i've seen around. i saw an indigo the other day, yet the strawberry coloured ones have dissappeared. i can't find any!

i know it seems trivial but to my mum the colour is more important than spec, as she mainly likes the look of those ibooks (plus the ease of use of mac os)

so what happened to them? i saw a picture, an old advert i presume which pictured a strawberry one, so presume they exist but do they? did they make them?

did they make less than the other colours? did they only release them in the US or something?

this is bugging me a bit and it would be helpful to know for when i have to help my mum look for one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Shhh... we all know Dvorack is secretly hoarding them.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    They're buried in a field near Liverpool, England.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    There were no strawberry iBooks, only tangerine and blueberry for the first generation, then later graphite, indigo and key lime. I have an old Strawberry iMac though.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    BuonRotto beat me to it: no strawberry iBooks were ever made. Just iMacs.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

BuonRotto beat me to it: no strawberry iBooks were ever made. Just iMacs.

Yeah, apparently Apple had trouble growing the strawberry iBooks in their fields - the Beatles kept complaining. [Groan - thought i'd save you the bother and do the groaning for you ]
  • Reply 6 of 18
    ok, so they didn't make them. i must be going a little crazy!

but then i found a photo including a tangerine, and a blueberry AND very clearly a strawberry ibook - can't find it (was pictured as someones ibook desktop on ebay when i was looking for one) either it was only a prototype or that photot was faked by someone who was hopeful.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Most likely just a Photoshop "re-tinting" job. Seen it done a bunch, and it's easy.

I found this doing a quick Google search. It's at applecollection.com, where people often submitted Photoshopped "prototypes" and fun "what if" ideas.

Those first iBooks (summer 1999) were blueberry and tangerine (yummy!). They lasted for a LONG time, until September of the following year, when they (along with a graphite model introduced in February 2000) were replaced by new models with a starker white, glossy body (the first-generation iBooks had almost a silver, matte look to the non-colored parts...I had a tangerine model for a while) and in graphite, indigo and a funky key lime color (almost glowed!). These were the first iBooks with FireWire.

Those lasted until May of 2001, when the current "iChiclet" white, squared-off, dual-USB iBooks were introduced.

I was always a bit bummed that those first-generation iBooks didn't come in the other iMac fruit colors (strawberry, grape and lime).

Paul's History of the iBook brought to you by Kraft, General Motors and Hallmark

• Reply 8 of 18
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

brought to you by Kraft,

ewww.... altria....
  • Reply 9 of 18
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    the Key Lime iBooks have become collector's items

resale value much higher than any other iBook of those generations

if she really has her heart set on owning a strawberry coloured iBook,

you could always get an iceBook (2000 or later) and paint the clear inner shell as the mod sites suggest
  • Reply 10 of 18
    If you decide to go with curiousburb's idea, missy, here is a site to help:

http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/redwhite/

Change the color to pink and your mom is in business!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Oh, gosh, that's terribly ugly!

Please, please, don't do that to a perfectly pretty iBook.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Oh, gosh, that's terribly ugly!

Please, please, don't do that to a perfectly pretty iBook.

Amen
  • Reply 13 of 18
    first of all, pscates thanks for clearing that up. one reason i wasn't sure to believe about the colouring of the original ibooks was that applehistory.com (my usual source of knowledge) didn't say specifically what colours they were in.

Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

the Key Lime iBooks have become collector's items

resale value much higher than any other iBook of those generations

if she really has her heart set on owning a strawberry coloured iBook,

you could always get an iceBook (2000 or later) and paint the clear inner shell as the mod sites suggest

i reckon my mum would in that case have to go for indigo ibook, she liked that too. still hard to get but atleast exists.

don't reckon the modded icebook is quite the same though. i like the blue one better than whats red (not quite the same as a strawberry clamshell). and it is a cool mod for those who want to be different but not for my mother.

as for the key lime's being rare and having higher sale value, not so much in the uk i don't reckon.

at the mo there are tons of ibooks on ebay.co.uk and a reasonable amount are lime and i haven't specifically seen them going for loads.

they are certainly more than originals because their spec is better but no more than the other graphite/indigo high spec books. so now is good for anyone wanting one.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    An iBook 466SE is my main machine at the mo, until my G5 arrives...

I have had it for years and it is awesome. Indestructible! TiBooks, Alubooks have all come and gone, but this machine remains a constant.

It is in graphite, and I wanted Key Lime, but couldn't find one! However as the machine still has over 18 months warranty I'm not changing anything!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marcus

An iBook 466SE is my main machine at the mo, until my G5 arrives...

I have had it for years and it is awesome. Indestructible! TiBooks, Alubooks have all come and gone, but this machine remains a constant.

It is in graphite, and I wanted Key Lime, but couldn't find one! However as the machine still has over 18 months warranty I'm not changing anything!

ur right indesctructible...haha i remember when i used to get macworld they did a 'test' to see how destructible it was...

they froze it, threw it through the air and let it hit HARD, stood on it...and even spilled coffe on it...i think it worked fine all the time except when the spilled coffe on it they had to replace the keyboard
  • Reply 16 of 18
    You know what? I wish they'd - just for giggles - rerelease those clamshell iBooks as sort of a "special edition reissue", with modern, updated graphics, I/O, components (40GB+ hard drive, 1GB max RAM, 32MB graphics, FireWire, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, combo drive, stereo speakers, etc.), I'd buy one.

Pack it with a 1GHz Altivec-enabled G3 or whatever, give it a nice little bus so it zips along in X and the various iApps and light graphics work like I do.

If I could get a cool-looking tangerine clamshell iBook but packed with today's features/specs, I'd jump on it like a dog on a bone and forget all about the PowerBook!!!

Even keep the 12" screen, just make the resolution 1024x768 instead of the next-to-useless 800x600.

When I had my old tangerine laptop, it was an automatic, instant cutie-pie magnet and conversation starter!

I'd love to have a modern, re-worked one (get the weight down a pound or two and maybe rein in some of the excessive curviness, but otherwise keep that cool clamshell, two-tone look (and yes: the handle stays too!).

Now THAT would be my dream laptop, over anything else. Honestly!

Could you take the guts from a current 900MHz iBook and retro-fit them into a tangerine clamshell case?

• Reply 17 of 18
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I've got one of the original Bondi's...and it's still comfy after all these years:

• Reply 18 of 18
    Wow, they DO look like toilet seats. I now know where the nickname comes from!