New TV Board for Mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I went to Macminute today (as usual) and saw this product was just announced-

http://www.televio.com/meilenstein_e...o/1/index_html

This really is exciting to me because I have been using a PC with an ATI TV tuner just for tv and playing videogames, but now I could buy this board for my Powermac if it turns out to be any good. EyeTV seemed like a good idea, but its video quality is subpar, so this thing looks pretty sweet. I am trying to figure out if it would even run at all on my Beige G3/333... Anyways, I don't know about anyone else, but this is one of the tings that I have felt the Mac has been missing out on. Hopefully not anymore.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    I don't have a need for this kinda thing, but it looks like they did a real good job on it. Watch TV in the dock, fancy.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    The formac converter is supposed to be pretty good aswell. I was thinking about getting one. Tell me what you think
  • Reply 3 of 46
    macfoolmacfool Posts: 9member
    The formac converter is neat in that it'll do analog to DV conversion for you, if you have old video tapes or something you want to capture. But for the $399 price tag, you'd better really need to use that feature, not just the TV tuning. This new Televio card is available for $149.95 at http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=6202-TLVO.

While $150 is still more than you'd pay for a TV tuner card on the PC side at least its getting more reasonable. Especially because the software looks extra-slick.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wow that looks nice! Too bad I have a PowerBook...cause I'd buy one.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    Looks cool, and would save me a lot of space...

Very tempting!
  • Reply 6 of 46
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I couldn't see anything about programmable recording or AppleScript support. That would be pretty cool and shouldn't be too hard to add.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    wow only $150!

oddly enough the exact amount i get off for student discount

upgrade to 1gb or ram from 512mb or this sweet tv tuner card....this is truly a hard decision but i think the tuner card may have to wait...or does the ram have to?!
  • Reply 8 of 46
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    I'm thinking about getting this card. Does anyone have any experience with it?
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

wow only $150!

oddly enough the exact amount i get off for student discount

upgrade to 1gb or ram from 512mb or this sweet tv tuner card....this is truly a hard decision but i think the tuner card may have to wait...or does the ram have to?!

Apple's RAM is overpriced. Does your "either/or" take this into account?
  • Reply 10 of 46
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

This really is exciting to me because I have been using a PC with an ATI TV tuner just for tv and playing videogames...

Forgive my ignorance, but would it be possible to connect a Gamecube using standard composite cabling and play games using a Cinema Display? If so, this is just the solution I'm looking for!
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

Forgive my ignorance, but would it be possible to connect a Gamecube using standard composite cabling and play games using a Cinema Display? If so, this is just the solution I'm looking for!

Should work fine, but I don't know how good this particular card is.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    macenzomacenzo Posts: 18member
    I was planning to buy a flat screen Television for my small coffee house. Do you think Cinema display can be good solution for such a thing. Do you think it is ok to watch tv on cinema display lets say from 3 meter distance?
  • Reply 13 of 46
    I really hope someone does a review on these things soon..... Then we will know if that will be a viable solution.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Well Dr. Bott has a 30 day return thingy. I'm very tempted just to get it and return it if it doesn't work well.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Apple's RAM is overpriced. Does your "either/or" take this into account?

sorry for the long reply, lost track of this thread

yes my either or does...haha wow that thing look so sweet
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Well Dr. Bott has a 30 day return thingy. I'm very tempted just to get it and return it if it doesn't work well.

They're out of stock right now. I'll let you guys know how it works when it gets here (should be within two weeks).
  • Reply 17 of 46
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    This is such a consumer item that would absolutely complement the iMac.

Formac is too expensive, and EyeTV's USB implementation leaves something to be desired.

I know we've been through this before, but it's instances like this, I wish the FP iMac had at least one PCI slot.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macenzo

I was planning to buy a flat screen Television for my small coffee house. Do you think Cinema display can be good solution for such a thing. Do you think it is ok to watch tv on cinema display lets say from 3 meter distance?

Even if this or another capture card has excellent picture, you'll need a deinterlacing filter (preferably capable of handling different sources) and some noise filtering. The description didn't mention it could do this, but it may. Computer displays show all the crud and artifacts of NTSC & PAL that cheapo TVs don't have the resolution to display.

It'd be a waste too, if you're going to pay for a cinema display to exclusively show standard definition TV. A 50 inch HDTV could be had for < the cinema display alone.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    keep us updated as to how it works, looks really impressive.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

keep us updated as to how it works, looks really impressive.

I will. I guess Dr Bott found an extra one laying around cause UPS says it will be here tomorrow .