2 instances of 1 PCI card in Settings!!! Help!!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

In order to set up DHCP and NAT I went ahead and installed my PCI network card but am now in a bit of a snag...

Right after startup (after I installed the card hardware) I went to network settings and saw that an "Ethernet Adaptor" was found. I installed the drivers from the cd to make sure it would be verified but after I restarted I got a new message that "PCI Ethernet Slot 4" was found! Basically these two configurations theoretically point to the same card, but which one really does - which should I use for DHCP??

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shanksta

Hi,

In order to set up DHCP and NAT I went ahead and installed my PCI network card but am now in a bit of a snag...

Right after startup (after I installed the card hardware) I went to network settings and saw that an "Ethernet Adaptor" was found. I installed the drivers from the cd to make sure it would be verified but after I restarted I got a new message that "PCI Ethernet Slot 4" was found! Basically these two configurations theoretically point to the same card, but which one really does - which should I use for DHCP??

Thanks

Looks like it is time to experiment to me. Pick one and try it.

What kind of mac and is there built in ethernet?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    My Beige G3 does that. I got Ethernet 2 to work for me (probably different on your computer) But I have a dual processor Graphics card that shows up twice (on purpose). Also, some old macs ship with 2 network ports.

So, yea. Trial and error.8)