Depression setting in: My Cube is officially old.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So Macsurfer posted this sweet deal on Xserves going cheap (Xserve G5 coming? Anyone? Anyone?). This tweaked my interest because I had been interested in getting an inexpensive rig to play with OS X Server without interrupting my Cube's happy place at the center of the home computer experience. (I have a two post riser with shelving in my closet and Marathon Computers makes vertical stands for Xserves, so no, the form of the Xserve would not be a problem).

But then I thought, $1375 for a test box is mighty pricey, regardless of the price cut. So I browsed around and saw refurbished 1Ghz Powermacs for a shave over one grand. Perfect!

But then that Mr. Practical Voice chimes in and says, "Let me get this straight: You want a server, a G5 desktop, and still hang on to your Cube?"

Bastard.

And then it happened... "Why not retire the Cube to be the server and bring the G5 onto center stage?"

Okay, no real question, just some sad commentary... about how loathsomely I whore for a G5!!!

Screed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    You should hold on to the Cube. It just looks great.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    sad part is i looked high and low for a reasonably priced cube to be a backup server, couldn't find one. great little machine if you have one.