TdF 2003

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Oh my god did anyone else see the video from today? Un****ingbelievable.

This years tour has not been boring. I was in Paris watching the race when Millar's chain fell off in the prolog. The the crash on the first day break Tyler Hamilton's collar bone. HE STILL RIDING AND DOING VERY WELL! Then sundry other crashes. Then the Posties mother****ing kick ass in the team time trial putting most of the team in the top over all spots. Yesterday's mountain stage seems to show off Lance's age. The strategy for entire rest of the riders seems to be attack Lance at every chance so anyone other than him will win.

But today. Poor Beloki slides it out on a downhill ... down mountain part of the race. He tried to pull it out (almost did) and wound up popping over the other way. They say he was going about 40mph (~65kph). He hit hard. Lance had to go off the road to the left, cut across some grass, GOT OFF THE BIKE and ran it back on the course. Just in time to join back up with the other riders he left above the switchback.

POOR Beloki! In the video he was just wailing on the ground. He broke his leg, wrist and elbow. It could end his career.

Links

2003 Tour de France Daily Videos

Le Tour Site

Velo News

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    After watching that video, I only have one question:

Was Armstrong penalized for taking the shortcut?
  • Reply 2 of 64
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

That was my thought.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey, good break for Lance!

(ooh, bad pun)
  • Reply 4 of 64
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

It wasn't much of a short cut. He was forced off and wound up behind people he was in front of. I doubt the tour director took much notice.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

It wasn't much of a short cut. He was forced off and wound up behind people he was in front of. I doubt the tour director took much notice.

It seems to me that he should have had to go back onto the course at the point that he left it.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    Well, it didn't happen that way.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I thought I read that the Tour folks say that due to the circumstances -- the crash, where he picked up again relative to the field -- there isn't a problem.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    Quote:

Well, it didn't happen that way.

Obviously ... which is why I first asked if he was penalized.

I can't find a definitive answer on any of those web sites you linked to in your introductory post.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    I it seems to me that they have some degree of discretion over how things come out. No one wants any rider to "lose" because a crash sent him off the road and he had to run up a steep slope to reenter the race right where he left off. Besides, poor Beloki was in the way.

Reminds me of the time when Ullrich went off the side. Lance made the group hold up until Ullrich got back up to them.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

It seems to me that he should have had to go back onto the course at the point that he left it.

In most forms of racing when you have an off you are not penalized if you get back on course without gaining position.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Great ride today. It displayed excatly what I like about TdF.

Two riders breaking free, coorporating against the the ones behind and then with a mile left thanking eachother and starting the battle agaisnt eachother.

There was no question about Piil taking the victory. He is a brilliant track rider. He knows how to win head to head like this. He is one of my favorites so I am very happy he won today especially after his accident last year in a very similar situation.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I thought that guy in the yellow shirt was going to attack Lance as he tried to get back on the road. The way American athletes have been treated in France (especially Lance) recently I was fearing international incident!

Yes, the Tour de Lance is exciting, even for a Texan like me who was never interested in it. I keep up with it regularly now. Go bicycles!
  • Reply 13 of 64
    I haven't read anything about Lance being treated badly. Not any more than usual. The French seem to have a love hate relationship with most of the tour winners. Even the French ones. Mostly disdain though. Of course they are not going to like Lance.

Today was a good day. Cyclist can be the laziest cutthroats out there. And somehow they eek out some of the most incredible sportsmanship not seen in any other sport.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    that was the most amazing thing so far.

moto-lance.

mr. cool. the way he got off the bike. JUMPED A DITCH then jumped back on the bike was AMAZING!

(he ended up behind the group he was in so that's why he was not penalized.)
  • Reply 15 of 64
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

I haven't read anything about Lance being treated badly. Not any more than usual. The French seem to have a love hate relationship with most of the tour winners. Even the French ones. Mostly disdain though. Of course they are not going to like Lance.

Not this year, but when he first returned he got all kinds of hell because he dominated their asses. I can't imagine them liking how they haven't won one in 15 years. I remember a lot of bad shit going on with Lance, lots of other riders being pricks.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    this year. its been how the posties used pena as a domestique even though he had the yellow jersey.

they seem to like tyler hamilton. (who doesn't?) so that's good for the long term.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    I saw on TV all these French farmers walking in the road and holding up the TdF, geesh. Get out of the way you poor peasants.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    Rest day.

Check out

http://www.tylerhamilton.com for race updates.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    I'm always excited to see this thread started each year. Nice to know that the sport I compete in is actually cared about by you guys
  • Reply 20 of 64
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

I'm always excited to see this thread started each year. Nice to know that the sport I compete in is actually cared about by you guys

I would tell you that I don't give a shit about it, but I really don't care enough.