Do any of you remember...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...those children's books that had the little plastic discs embedded into the pages (they looked like tiny records)? You had this little battery operated reader with a rotating needle that would read the story aloud to you a page at a time, and you could barely understand it.

What the hell were they called?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

...those children's books that had the little plastic discs embedded into the pages (they looked like tiny records)? You had this little battery operated reader with a rotating needle that would read the story aloud to you a page at a time, and you could barely understand it.

iPod's
  • Reply 2 of 9
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    whoa that sounds analog...

the best i can do is the digital spelling and math teaching tools -- you know, the largish rectangles with a small alphanumeric readout with the fullish keyboard.... i dont think they lasted that long -- and perhaps they were only available to educators...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

I vaguely remember that. I played one backwards once. Nothing happens.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

I vaguely remember that. I played one backwards once. Nothing happens.

Drats...I was hoping it said something like " Grover is dead " Grover is dead......
  • Reply 5 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I found it!

Fisher-Price Talk-to-Me Books and Talk-to-Me Player

• Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

I found it!

Fisher-Price Talk-to-Me Books and Talk-to-Me Player

Congratz.

I think there'd be collectors out there...who'd pay a handsome price for them....
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Eugene, that rocks, I forgot all about those!

I just dug out the one pictured as well as Good Night Sesame Street and Snow White's Birthday Party. I know I had some others. I imagine my player was trashed years (okay, decades) ago, though...

Jeff
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member

An excerpt from Good Night Sesame Street wherein Oscar the Grouch prepares for bed:

"O.K. I put all my rocket and racing-car records on the record player. I set the alarm to start ringing any minute. I got fresh rocks in my pillow. The bed keeps wobbling back and forth because I cut the leg off. And this light is shining right in my face. Heh, heh, heh. Just perfect for a grouch's bedtime. I'll NEVER be able to sleep, and I'll be so grouchy when I get up tomorrow that nobody will even want to talk to me. That's just the way I like it. Heh, heh heh!"

Dang, I wish I had the player!

Jeff
  • Reply 9 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    jeffyboy

I have the one in the photo too as well as The Clock Cleaners and a couple of others.