iTunes, CDDB, Deferred Lookup?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Recent switcher needs help with iTunes 4.

I realy like iTunes 4, but need help with ripping my CDs into the app.

When i'm connected to the net and insert a cd into my PB12" iTunes accesses the cddb no problems there. But when i'm not connected it obviously can't do this. So the question is this:

Is it possible to rip my cds and then get iTunes to get the info next time i connect to the net?

I've tried looking in the help file and find no obvious answer.

btw, I'm posting this from a windows machine at work, so a screen grab or two would be handy to illustrate any answers!

thanks

dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    >Is it possible to rip my cds and then get iTunes to get the info next time i connect to the net?

No, but damn that would be slick.

What you can do is insert ALL of your CDs while connected. Then once the info has been d/led from cddb.com, all that info is on your HD, so next time you pop in a cd, no lookup.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    You can select the tracks of the ripped (=track/album infoless) cd when you are connected to internet and get the CDDB info by choosing from the menu

Advanced > get CD track names

BUT you have to always select exactly the same tracks as were in the original cd to be like 99% sure that you get the right track/album info form the CDDB.

cheers.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    david101david101 Posts: 73member
    Quote:

No, but damn that would be slick

If this is the case it seems like a glaring hole in the iTunes sofware. I mean, surely this is a much more usefeul feature than smart playlists for example.

Since i bought my PB12" i've generally had the feeling that "wow, these apple guys think of everything", and now that i come across this i feel really dissapointed in them.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    snowstersnowster Posts: 68member
    Did you just ignore Balibalibas post, or am I missing something here? I mean he answered your original question, didn't he?

1. Select ripped cd tracks (all tracks from one cd)

2. Advanced (menu) --> Get CD Track Names

3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 for all ripped cd:s missing cddb info.

-Snowster

Quote:

Originally posted by david101

If this is the case it seems like a glaring hole in the iTunes sofware. I mean, surely this is a much more usefeul feature than smart playlists for example.

Since i bought my PB12" i've generally had the feeling that "wow, these apple guys think of everything", and now that i come across this i feel really dissapointed in them.

• Reply 5 of 6
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    umm, i thought everyone knew this, but you can DEFINITELY import your songs while off the net, with no cddb info, and next time you connect, just select the songs in itunes, and in the advanced menu, i believe (i'm not on my mac today) there is an option, Get track names or something like that...

That will connect to cddb and get all the ID3 tags for your mp3s even without the cd... i KNOW i did this recently.. so i promise it works
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Did you just ignore Balibalibas post, or am I missing something here? I mean he answered your original question, didn't he?