G5 from the Apple Store or Powermax

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I ordered a dual 2gig G5 from the Apple Store today and was quoted delivery on or before 9/29/03.

I then called a few Apple resellers including Powermax and they are still quoting August delivery.

My question, do you think these quotes from Powermax, Macwarehouse etc are legit, or is Apple just giving themselves some room in the event there is a delay.

I would cancel my order with Apple if I could get it a month sooner.

By the way has anyone here ordered computers from Powermax?

Are they a good company to buy from?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    moosemanmooseman Posts: 126member
    ...why can't you order from both and then cancel the other depending on which ships first?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

I would cancel my order with Apple if I could get it a month sooner.

I don't think you can get things like the build-to-order Radeon 9800 Pro card from anywhere but the Apple store. Note that the retail Radeon 9800 Pro card only runs at AGP 4x on a G5 while the build-to-order one runs at AGP 8x.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    What I just did was go to the online Apple Store and both the 1.6 and 1.8 GHz model state availability in 4-6 weeks, meanwhile the Dual 2 GHz model states availability 7-10 weeks.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i guess i should order mine soon too so i dont get to be one of the people getting the 10-15 wks huh?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    I ordered a stock dual 2gig, I have an Nvidia Geforce 4Ti card that I'll swap in for the ATI 9600 that comes with the machine.

The only thing I ordered extra was an Airport Extreme Card which I was told by Apple will be pre installed.

I can install it myself so thats no big deal either.

Has anyone noticed the poor ratings of Apple resellers on resellerratings.com?

I'm speaking abou clubmac, macwarehouse, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    I have never had good dealings with PowerMax, I have had a very, very bad one once. I also have several friends who have had the same negative dealings with them.

That experience coupled with the fact that Apple will not send G5s to PowerMax before they ship their own pre-orders [common sense] tells me its better to just hold on Apple. Most likely PowerMax has not had their ship date updated yet either by themselves or by Apple. Plus if you are looking for a custom config ... that might increase your wait time no matter who its from.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I bought from PowerMax.

They offered the best bundled deals at the time and no sales tax.

Saved money and got a great deal. (even with shiping to North Carolina)

I'd use them again.

Ask for Gary.

MSKR
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I ordered a dual G5 from powermax. I ordered a refurbed iBook from them 18 months ago and it was an awesome experience. like Masker said they usually have good bundles. With G5's they have a deal where if you buy one with Applecare, they'll ship you Panther for free when it's released. That plus the no sales tax thing makes it worth the extra few days wait for me.

Bogie, what was the nature of your bad experience with them?