Revolution 2.0 vs Real Basic

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Curious about the advantages/disadvantages of these two rapid development tools. I am more familiar with Real Basic so I was hoping somebody could share some insights into Revolution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregincolumbus

Curious about the advantages/disadvantages of these two rapid development tools. I am more familiar with Real Basic so I was hoping somebody could share some insights into Revolution.

Here's what I've been able to figure:

1) REALbasic uses an object-oriented form of the Basic language (duh 8) ), while Revolution uses its own proprietary OO language (Transcode).

2) REALbasic has limited database access for standard users (50 records, only in Debug mode; compiled programs have no access), unlimited for the Professional editions. Revolution only supports ODBC in its free edition, but support for all database forms in Small Buisness Edition (up to 25 records and 65k of data to be opened simultaneously to all supported databases except ODBC, which is unlimited), and completely unlimited access in Professional Edition. Both can access SQL, PostGRE, 4D and ODBC databases, among others.

3) Both can compile for MacOS X and Windows. Revolution can also compile for various flavors of *nix. REALbasic can only compile for Windows if you have the Professional edition. Revolution can only compile for the platform it is running on in the Free edition.

4) Revolution offers a free edition, whose limitations are: only accesses ODBC databases, and is limited to 10 lines of code per object. REALbasic does not have a free edition. Both have a fully-functioning 30-day free trial period with the use of a special registration code you can request from their website.

5) REALbasic has a wide variety of plugins available from third party developers, adding vast amounts of functionality.

6) The Standard liscence for REALbasic is $99, while the Professional liscence is $399. The Revolution Small Buisness Edition is $299, while the Professional edition is $995. Revolution also has a Free Edition, which is free of course.

So, it looks to me like Revolution is the way to go if you need an affordable solution (free) for small apps, while REALbasic is better if you need something a little more standard (Basic) and flexible (plugins).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks for the info...I appreciate it
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Another really great tool which is a bit similar to Revolution, but much more intuitive is SuperCard <http://www.supercard.us>. It's not cross-platform, but on the Mac it's one of the best tools available.
  • Reply 4 of 4