My Crazy Idea...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Howabout a Switch Trade-in program. Where the would be switcher would get a generous sympathy discount for trading in their old PC. And as they turn in their PC, they can watch it get stripped of it's useful parts while the rest gets thrown into a chipper.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Useful parts, dont know any of those on a pc, well maybe the graphics card and the optical drive, that is about it
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Hard drives, optical drives, some graphics cards, many PCI cards, fans, and cabling are platform-agnostic. No use in throwing them out. The case, motherboard, processor and floppy drive are only useful in other PCs, but they're still worth keeping and selling off.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    apple would not do it though
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    That's the type of thing a place like Smalldog might do.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Whazzat? Smalldog, eh???
  • Reply 6 of 10
    smalldog dot com. That's what.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Whazzat? Smalldog, eh???

www.smalldog.com They are a very nice Apple reseller that are great to deal with, and have a killer refurb section.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

www.smalldog.com They are a very nice Apple reseller that are great to deal with, and have a killer refurb section.

That's funny-- a couple months ago, I saw a refurb Dual 1.25 MDD for more than list price.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Places like that often are really, really overpriced. For some fun, check out the prices PowerMax puts on beige desktops and towers... PowerMac 7200s (you know, the really old, slow ones) are $60-$100. Their other stuff isn't wonderfully priced but it's not THAT bad, but their beige stuff is terrible... I mean, who would pay $300 for a pre-G3?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    I think I'd be really wary of buying refurbished hardware from a secondary source.