When are we going to get USB2?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
OK we have Firewire800, but USB2 is out right now, there is little point to try to fight it. All new USB devices are supporting USB2, and so should Apple. I hope that we will see it in the upcomming iMacs together with Firewire800 and Bluetooth.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    When it's an industry standard. Devices are only jsut starting to come out. It's faster then USB but not FW2 which Apple pushes. I wouldn't expect it for another 6-12 months at least.

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Apple will start putting USB 2 on their machines once all their machines have FireWire 2. Of course, if USB 2 has fizzled out by that time, then they won't, but I don't expect that to happen.

Well, the Pro hardware might get USB 2 before some of the consumer hardware gets FireWire 2 (notably the iBook), but I'm guessing around the beginning of next year.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    ummmmm USB2 should have been here 6 months ago

there really is no reason why it shouldn't be other then apple dragging their feet

bluetooth should be here as well but lets stick to one topic right now
  • Reply 4 of 7
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Whats the point of having a slower than firewire port if apple has firewire 2 and firewire. USB2 is slower in real world tests than firewire. there is no reason to have usb2. the peripherals that are usb2 often have a firewire counterpart. USB2 is not a standard and there isn't enough time for it to become either.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    [quote]Originally posted by O and A:

<strong>Whats the point of having a slower than firewire port if apple has firewire 2 and firewire. USB2 is slower in real world tests than firewire. there is no reason to have usb2. the peripherals that are usb2 often have a firewire counterpart. USB2 is not a standard and there isn't enough time for it to become either.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is crap. The question should be: what is the reason NOT to have this thing? I don't care about slower this or less of a standard that. Just look around: USB2 is already obliterating Firewire in sheer production volume. I think there's at least 80% USB2 products that do NOT have a firewire counterpart, unlike you say. Moreover, you get to pay up to 50 bucks more on a $120 HD for wanting Firewire, your choice already being limited as it is. Alright, Firewire more reliable. It might be. Especially for all those people whose firewire ports just burnt up, or had their peripherals die on them because of faulty firewire connections. Woohoo.

I like high speed transfer, and as such I like firewire, but I think that for everything you'd want to hold against USB2, you could hold something against firewire.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Oh, and before you start accusing me of using fake arguments (not saying that you would though, I'm just strengthening my point), take a long at <a href="http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.ef0a4bc"; target="_blank">this monster-thread</a> over at Apple's own discussion fora.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>

This is crap. The question should be: what is the reason NOT to have this thing? I don't care about slower this or less of a standard that. Just look around: USB2 is already obliterating Firewire in sheer production volume. I think there's at least 80% USB2 products that do NOT have a firewire counterpart, unlike you say. Moreover, you get to pay up to 50 bucks more on a $120 HD for wanting Firewire, your choice already being limited as it is. Alright, Firewire more reliable. It might be. Especially for all those people whose firewire ports just burnt up, or had their peripherals die on them because of faulty firewire connections. Woohoo.

I like high speed transfer, and as such I like firewire, but I think that for everything you'd want to hold against USB2, you could hold something against firewire.</strong><hr></blockquote>

USB 2.0 will come, but Apple has to get FireWire 800 into more of its line-up first. And as for all your comments above...stop lying.

There are plenty of FireWire products out there without USB 2.0 counterparts. In fact I'd wager there are more FireWire devices available since so many CE devices come with FireWire nowadays. Every Sound Blaster Audigy...every DV camcorder...most external HDD brands...etc, etc. And yes, FireWire is more reliable in terms of sending and receiving data. And yes, FireWire is faster than USB 2.0 in real life. And yes, USB 2.0 doesn't carry a whole lot of power if you like your bus powered devices.