Firefight may have killed Saddam's sons

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So says the Pentagon:

Quote:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. troops are investigating whether Saddam Hussein's sons Uday and Qusay were among those killed during a firefight Tuesday with American troops in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, Pentagon officials told CNN.

A U.S. official said two of those killed in the attack "could be" Qusay and Uday, indicated by recent intelligence reports to have been in the Mosul area recently.

"We are reasonably certain they could have met their maker," one U.S. official told CNN. "We didn't just stumble across them."

A U.S. official told CNN Pentagon Correspondent Barbara Starr that 200 members of the 101st Airborne Division were involved in the assault, and that no one was captured at the house raided in Mosul but four people were killed. Further details were expected shortly...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 124
    we need to see heads on spikes, and i am not joking. the faithfull is not going to accept dental records and an autopsy or coroner report.
  • Reply 2 of 124
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i thought saddam was only doing audio addresses still...

maybe not.

in this case, they said there were only 4 people in the house, so it's not like these guys were running around in the army somewhere. just holed up in a safe house.

as for both being in the same place, same time, it's possible. sounds like they had trouble keeping their safe houses safe before.
  • Reply 3 of 124
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    segovius:

Quote:

Chances of them both being in the same place at the same time AND in the line of fire AND buying the farm just when Joe Public needs some good news: big fat zero

I don't know who you are or when you sprang up but to even act like you know what they would be doing is laughable.

And what the hell do you mean by "just when Joe Public needs some good news"? Is there any time that isn't "convenient" when you're a zealot?
  • Reply 4 of 124
    everything i've ever read about them would suggest that they would not be together. i gather they are not to fond of each other.

but these are desperate times for desperate men, so who knows.

til i see that freddie mercury like head on a stick, i'll stay sanguine.

(note to self, check, use sanguine in a post, on things to do list)
  • Reply 5 of 124
    segovius:

Quote:

Well, it's my opinion and like you say, you don't know who I am so maybe I have grounds for it.

If you know, then you are a terrorist.

Quote:

What I mean by 'just when Joe Public needs some good news' is that the public want results because they were promised them and as concrete results seem somewhat thin on the ground and public agitation is growing well....

Is there any time that wouldn't be convenient? Meaning: Is it actually possible for this sort of thing to happen and it *not* be suspiscious timing to you?
  • Reply 6 of 124
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I doubt that the sons of Hussein have the courage to fight directly US troops : i rather see them hide or run away.

If they had the courage to fight, they had many occasions in the beginning.
  • Reply 7 of 124
    segovius:

Quote:

Seems a bit over the top.

Because it was a joke.

Quote:

In theory yes, it's possible. Much depends on who the main players are.

Could you explain to me the differences?
  • Reply 8 of 124
    on the radio: pentagon confirmed it.
  • Reply 9 of 124
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Good news. It's really good to hear. Not much good news coming out of there lately.
  • Reply 10 of 124
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    When are you people going to realize that Cheney and Ashcroft pull all the strings? Everything in the world is manufactured by those two, along with Mossad, to create the needed conditions to tighten their grip on the globe.
  • Reply 11 of 124
    where's a thread title with *confirmed* when you need one?

• Reply 12 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

When are you people going to realize that Cheney and Ashcroft pull all the strings? Everything in the world is manufactured by those two, along with Mossad, to create the needed conditions to tighten their grip on the globe.

c'mon scott.
  • Reply 13 of 124
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

finally, Scott has seen the light.

i didn't see this thread or hear the news until i saw half the press conference, but i imagine i'd have been skeptical earlier today. i'm very surprised and kind of happy to hear about this positive news. (i feel terrible saying that: i'm not happy they are dead, but rather that we have a concrete semi-victory in this iraq war.) i dont really like this war, but its nice to hear that there are some victories for the Iraqi people.
  • Reply 14 of 124
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Quote:

Ah HA! so they are the ones who lost the remote... those bastards!
  • Reply 15 of 124
    i hate hate hate hate this war, but i know no one is coming home 'til they bag the aces. and no i'm not sorry they're dead, dance of joy here, this is all their doing when you get down to it.
  • Reply 16 of 124
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Stranger things have happened. I wish they captured them instead, perform a brain dump (er, in terms of knowledge, that is) with them.
  • Reply 17 of 124
    it woudln't surprise me at all to find out saddam gave his bodyguards orders to kills his sons rather than let them be captured. oh well, it's progress. i'm sure Saddam is getting a bit nervous now. his sons would have been in a top level secure location.
  • Reply 18 of 124
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Did they really have to be killed?

They might have been criminals, rapists and murderers but that isn't for the US to judge and not for us to judge. They should have been captured and stood trial in an Iraqi court once the occupation was over.
  • Reply 19 of 124
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Just found this in a story about the hit on a danish newssite.

• Reply 20 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Did they really have to be killed?

from the account i read, it didn't sound like they felt like coming out with their hands up.

edit: i hate their there they're