800 Mhz Bus

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
[quote] The Santa Clara, Calif.-based chipmaker is coming out with a new chipset, code-named Springdale, for Pentium 4 PCs. The chipset runs at 800MHz, substantially faster than the 400MHz and 533MHz chipsets currently available for Pentium 4 computers, according to sources close to the company. <hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1001-980206.html?tag=fd_top"; target="_blank">CNET News.com</a>

So how long will it be before the whole apple lineup gets a decent upgrade? Judging by the above news, it would be a terrible PR disaster for some of Apple's computers to run at the same speed as Wintel buses. If the 970 comes out soon this could be mitigated, but what do we do as consumers? How long would it be before we get buses that actually perform this well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    you're falling for the MHz myth.

And the PPC 970 will have a systembus that's half the CPU speed. With introductory speeds between 1.4-1.8GHz, that'd be 700-900MHz bus, so calm down.

G-news
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    It's not as huge as it sounds at first. If you read later on in the article, one person said it'll probably result in about a 3-5% boost. Not horribly big, but a decent bump for their high end P4's.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    This isn't too amazing since the current P4s can be overclocked massively by upping the FSB speed. I'm currently running the P4 I just built with the FSB set to 4x150=600 MHz...overclocked a 2.4 GHz P4 to 2.7 GHz. I didn't even need to juice the voltage supply to the CPU or anything...it's sucking down 1.525 volts quite happily. The PC is still quieter than my G4 too...

On the bright side, my Power Mac G4 2x1000 MHz feels just as snappy, if not more for many tasks, especially while multitasking. Even with a top of the line Radeon 9700 Pro and the latest Catalyst 3.0 drivers, window dragging produces some ugly results in Windows XP.

I thought building myself a tricked out P4 would humble the Mac freak in me. ...Quite the opposite really.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    thats intresting to hear and good as well

when i had my imac i noticed the video in quicktime was better than the video on my athalon but im still thinking of upping this box from the xp 1600 to the 2800 god i just hope those new powermacs have real ddr as that has made a big diffrence for me.