My iPod locks up while running :(

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
While jogging my iPod has locked up a couple times recently. I have a 20GB model. It didn't do this before like 3 weeks ago and now it seems to do it more often. It starts when changing songs, it takes a long time to change and then eventually it'll just lock up changing at some point.

I don't know why and it PISSES me off beyond belief. Really screws up a run to have to try and see what the hell is happening. and then i reset it, and everything gets deleted. If I don't reset it I cant turn the damn thing off because its frozen.

Any solutions... is this due to horrible fragmentation maybe or is it a bug?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    interesting. same thing just started happening with my sister's iPod. thought it was just hers.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Is the hold button on? I was doing all kinds of work around the house and buttons were pressing themselves and my iPod froze. I tunred hold on and didn't have the problem again.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Mine did this too, but I think I have narrowed the problem down to one of two things:

1. I tried to start the iPod while I was running, instead of before.

2. I was using the belt clip which makes it bounce more than if holding it.

So I started to play my music and then start running, and carrying my iPod instead of using the belt clip. I haven't had any problems since.

As for resetting it, don't worry about that.

I just put it on my desk and let the battery run out on it's on. When I plugged it in to recharge the battery all was back to normal.

Annoyed the piss out of me too.

Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

While jogging my iPod has locked up a couple times recently. I have a 20GB model. It didn't do this before like 3 weeks ago and now it seems to do it more often. It starts when changing songs, it takes a long time to change and then eventually it'll just lock up changing at some point.

I don't know why and it PISSES me off beyond belief. Really screws up a run to have to try and see what the hell is happening. and then i reset it, and everything gets deleted. If I don't reset it I cant turn the damn thing off because its frozen.

Any solutions... is this due to horrible fragmentation maybe or is it a bug?

I have had quick a few similiar complaints with my 15 GB model. However, most of my problems went a way when I reformatted my iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    This is a known issue with the iPod. Just browsing Apple Discussions will make that clear. Apparently, the only way to really deal with the problem is avoid extreme shocks on your iPod. I've started running again myself in the past few weeks, and I wear my iPod in my left butt-cheek pocket, if you don't mind my phrasing it like that. Mostly, I've had no problems (it's a 1st gen 10GB), although it has frozen up like you state it once, which is a pain in the ass. But hey, that's the prize you pay for it not being solid state, I guess.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

...Mostly, I've had no problems (it's a 1st gen 10GB)...

That's the same model I have, and I've only had a problem once. And to be honest, as much as a pain as it was, I still wouldn't trade it for any other mp3 player on the market.

Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I wear my iPod in my left butt-cheek pocket...which is a pain in the ass.

Sorry. couldn't resist.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    \ its really annoying because it NEVER used to do this and only recently started to.

Maybe I will try reformatting.

I do start it before I run, and I hold it in my right hand while I run.

In the meantime I've been using my old 5GB model...... no skips at all, no lock ups..... and to be honest, the scroll wheel (actual wheel) is a hell of a lot faster to use than the touch wheel