G5 - Free Panther Upgrade?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
How many of you think that there will be a free upgrade to Panther for purchasers of the new G5 systems?

I ordered the dual 2ghz system...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Don't think so.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Depends on when they finish Panther I think. Isn't there a guarantee that forces Apple to ship buyers a copy of the new OS, if it is released three months after the purchase of hardware? I've heard so...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I guess there'll be $29 upgrade coupons.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    shankstashanksta Posts: 96member
    Don't think so, you just get 10.2.7
  • Reply 5 of 27
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    You can get it free if you buy from Power Max
  • Reply 6 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    That really sucks if I can't get get Panther without paying for it. Will there be a 'panther-free-for-teachers' promo like there was for Jaguar?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    They haven't said anything about it, but dont be surprised if you do get it for free.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Be surprised if you do. For some reason Apple enjoys shipping hardware with "tweaked to work" software ... then charges for the update. Very Microsoft of them.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Be surprised if you do. For some reason Apple enjoys shipping hardware with "tweaked to work" software ...

Um, they have to since the current version of Mac OS X won't work on new hardware.

If you absolutely want to make sure that you don't have to pay for Panther, then wait until they announce Panther's shipping date (you don't have to wait for the release).

If you absolutely need the G5 that extra month or two, you probably use it for something where that extra speed would allow you to earn that extra $129.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Be surprised if you do. For some reason Apple enjoys shipping hardware with "tweaked to work" software ... then charges for the update. Very Microsoft of them.

IIRC you got Jaguar for free with Xserve even if it shipped with 10.1.5
  • Reply 11 of 27
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I do believe I'm going to wait so it's pre-installed. Can't order until October anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I want the new G5 ships with a Panther software/restore CD rather than a 10.2.7 software/restore CD... then a Panther CD for $29..
  • Reply 13 of 27
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sopphode

IIRC you got Jaguar for free with Xserve even if it shipped with 10.1.5

No, funny you bring it up as I watched the Xserve intro video last night. One of the reporter's ask that and steve very bluntly said No.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    How will Apple go about seperating G5 Panther from G3/4 panther when it is sold? Or will there be one install disc (or disk set) that automatically detects whether the machine is G5 or otherwise, and then installs accordingly?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

How will Apple go about seperating G5 Panther from G3/4 panther when it is sold? Or will there be one install disc (or disk set) that automatically detects whether the machine is G5 or otherwise, and then installs accordingly?

one install, one disc
  • Reply 16 of 27
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

No, funny you bring it up as I watched the Xserve intro video last night. One of the reporter's ask that and steve very bluntly said No.

They changed their mind - Jaguar was a free upgrade for every Xserve owner.

Wow, MacNN's search feature sucks. It couldn't find this (had to Google it):

http://www.macnn.com/news/15550
  • Reply 17 of 27
    JLL is right about the xserve upgrade. There were too many bugs in the previous version of OS X, so Apple caved and sent upgrades to all who could reproduce a certain bug.

I do remember that Jobs comment tho...
  • Reply 18 of 27
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I don't expect to see my G5 before september. Considering that Smeagol is not a finished product (just a tweaked version of Jaguar able to work with the G5) i will consider normal, that Apple give a special price upgrade.

I expect also that Panther will show his cute face at Paris. So if my G5 are coming late, they may ship with the lattest of the roaring feline.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    bostonmhbostonmh Posts: 97member
    My Bet is Panther ships late November to early December, and the only one who will get the break on OSX 1.3 will those who purchase there system after October 16, 2003.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by BostonMH

My Bet is Panther ships late November to early December, and the only one who will get the break on OSX 1.3 will those who purchase there system after October 16, 2003.

I'm betting on September 16. Shipping date will be announced at Apple Expo Paris and anyone buying a Mac after that date will get the upgrade for $20.

Last year the shipping date for 10.2 (August 24) was announced at MWNY on July 17 and the upgrade was available to anyone buying a Mac as of that date.