Camino 1.0...when?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I understand that camino is an open-source project and that there are nightly builds, but aside from fixing crashes and erroneous data errors those builds hardly do anything for the performance or features of the browser.

Does anyone have any information as to when the next major release will happen? or have mozilla scrapped the project for the most part and just left it to the nightlys.

I am not very fond of Safari, and Omniweb(which is my secondary browser) lacks tabs, perhaps I'll get Mozilla but I don't really like the UI, basically camino is perfect for me, but there are a few things that it dosen't do well, or at all that I would like to know are at least coming before I just decide to bear with another browser.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    There's been a big shakeup at Mozilla with the shift over to non-profit, so expect delays, but 0.8 should be released within the next month or so.

I don't think you've been following the nightlies for long if you haven't seen big differences...but FYI the nightlies are the development track, so anything you see in them will filter down to a release eventually. There isn't a non-public batch of development going on--hence "open-source".
  • Reply 2 of 5
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    camino has shown significant boosts in speed and performance if you dont go by nightlies. from night to night the speed or other benefits aren't as noticeable as in the non-dev releases.

i suggest you get in line and learn to love Safari, like a good Apple user.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I used Safari for about three weeks......and I just moved back to Camino this morning....
  • Reply 4 of 5
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    I prefer and use camino over safari. I've found that camino is faster (using the 0.7 release) than safari (1.0 release) on certain pages. A big example is when I log into my online banking. Safari just slows down to a crawl pulling all the images down.

Also, I really really like how I can set links from other applications in Camino to open in a new tab. I find that nicer than the only two options Safari has (in current window and in new window).
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Camino rocks, it works almost error free for me. Draws more pages than safari, and crashes less (at least on my machine). Speed difference almost impossible to tell, but I think Safari barely edges it out.