Ultra SCSI Drive on Quicksilver 933 problem...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I just got an external Seagate X.15 15k rpm ultra scsi drive in an external case along with an adaptec 291060N card. I hook it up and it's really weird. The computer wont boot with the drive attached when I boot from my internal OS 9 partition. It boots from from OS X where I partitioned it. I copied my OS 9 system onto the new external drive and the computer will boot up fine from there, just not in OS 9 from the internal partition...WEIRD.. I need OS 9 to run my Pro Tools setup...

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    We have had numerous problems with OS X and Adaptec SCSI cards... drives not mounting, system crashing... Tried all manner of trouble-shooting thinking it was the drives or the system... permissions, DiskDoctor, updated drivers.... Then switched to Atto cards and have had no trouble whatsoever connected to the same drive arrays.

good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dsoileaudsoileau Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by musical73

Hey guys,

external Seagate X.15 15k rpm ultra scsi drive with an adaptec 291060N

<snip>

The computer wont boot with the drive attached when I boot from my internal OS 9 partition. It boots from from OS X where I partitioned it. I copied my OS 9 system onto the new external drive and the computer will boot up fine from there, just not in OS 9 from the internal partition...WEIRD.. I need OS 9 to run my Pro Tools setup...

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks!!

Have you researched manufacturer compatibility issues for these devices? BTW, what Mac are you using? As stated in the other reply to your post, there definitely are compatibility issues for Adaptec and some Macs. Firmware updates, driver versions (newest not always best), OS versions, etc., all need to be investigated. To make this simpler, configure an OS9 bootable disk image on your internal hard disk, mount it, and then designate that as your startup disk. Repeated tweaks to this disk image will save you time and, possibly, anguish as you chart the different driver/OS combinations.

BTW, if you have a digi installed, include those drivers into the mix and move that card around.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Actually I have just read all the issues with my adaptec card but I havent seen any issues with the hard drive. I'm getting rid of my card and getting an ATTO card. See how that works out.

I zapped my p-ram and now no matter what I do, the machine will not boot up on an OS 9 partition. My OS X is fully updated (10.2.6 I think, or whatever it is now) and I hope they didnt change something that prevents me from booting up in OS 9. I'd hate to have to boot up in X, then have to hold down the option key to select an OS 9 partition... argh....