Safari issue with Quicken2002/03?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all,

Thank you in advance for help on this. I have tried everything except calling ($$) Intuit Software

PROBLEM:

I can download my bank transactions via Safari fine and I get the standard .QXF file that I got with Explorer, except what I get is a file with a blank icon that isn't recognized by Quicken at all (either trying to import or double-click). Normally with Explorer, if you have Quicken launched it will "autoload" the new transactions into Quicken as soon as it finishes downloading the .QXF file. However nothing happens with Safari after the file donwlods. Another guy on the info.apple where I first posted and he same problem with a different bank.

HERE IS APPLE TECHs RESPONSE:

Explorer understands more Microsoft Centric web coding than Safari does. Microsoft Centric web coding just is not standard across browsers or platform. Web developers need to pay closer attention to w3c.org standards and look at how to make more uniform crossbrowser compatible webpages. The bank you are using is obviously not and should be informed that it is not conforming to web standards and is overreliant on Microsoft coding techniques and should stop doing that if they want to be viewed as secure. Apple's web browser is closer to being a standards browser than Explorer will ever be.

--------

So, to any of you "in the know" out there:

1. Is Apple Tech right on this or is it Safari not talking to Quicken or does not know how to post-process the QXF file?

2. Is there a "File Helper" area like IE has to tell Safari how to post-proccess files?

THANK YOU

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    With only a conceptual understanding of the processes involved (no specific coding experience), I think that Apple is being honest. There are still many websites that do not function properly unless you are using Microsoft's Internet Explorer. This is due to several factors...

After the early hypertext markup days, companies began to see the value of passing data back and forth via the web. One of those companies was Microsoft, which had the advantage of owning a browser that they were installing for free with their operating system.

In my opinion, when Apple encourages you to write to your financial institution, they're essentially sending you out to try and piss up a rope.....and here's why I say that:

There is momentum behind Microsoft's proprietary methodology, and the Open Source movement has to overcome that energy. In real life terms that means that there are companies which specialize in coding sites using Microsoft's technology. Those companies' coding teams learned it when it was new and haven't had the time or the desire to explore moving to an Open Source model. The banking institutions may rely on these companies because they've used them before, or because there's not a lot of competition in that special arena....I pick the first reason.

I believe that Open Source standards will happen across the board eventually, as UNIX/Linux sees more use behind the scenes at these companies.

So, what you're experiencing is the end-result of something that started about five years ago....sucks huh?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    donnyddonnyd Posts: 3member
    For what it's worth, I do not think this is primarily a MS coding/bias issue. I have been using Camino (Mozilla) for my online banking for a long time. It works properly with Quicken. Like you, Safari does not. So I don't know what the problem is but everyone blames it on each other and it doesn't seem to get corrected. So I have to use two browsers. Camino for banking and Safari for everything else.