Is there a good reason for this?

Is there a workaround?

Has anybody actually got one to work?

Please help\

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I have gotten many different answers and I believe the final conclusion is that the Matshita SuperDrive is NOT DVD-RW and so not even the "swap out" trick works. Can anyone with a DVD-RW and 12" PB try this?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    moliumoliu Posts: 42member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

The Drive supports it.

The Software supports it.

But Apple for some reason denies us the privilege

Is there a good reason for this?

Is there a workaround?

Has anybody actually got one to work?

Please help\

David

does that mean that all of the superdrives in the G5 and PB will not write to DVD-RW?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    you have to change the firmware. I have see an article about this. I try to find it again.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The firmware that the 12" PowerBook Superdrive ships with is D0CB, which does not support DVD-RW burning. Allegedly the 17" firmware is DWDB, which does support DVD-RW burning.

There is an "updater " to D0CB at http://forum.firmware-flash.com/dl_f...wnload_id=1449, which provides some possibility of a better updater in the future. (edit: warning: this updater might damage your drive).
  • Reply 5 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i did one of the firmware updates a while back, it didn't work for me, but didn't break anything either.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    moliumoliu Posts: 42member
    Isn't it funny that apple claim to have the fastest computer in the world, yet the superdrive that they include to us doesn't even support dvd-rw. Almost all drives out there are rewriteable regardless of the format +/-.

I have nothing against apple in fact i love them, but i think they should treat us better.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moliu

Isn't it funny that apple claim to have the fastest computer in the world, yet the superdrive that they include to us doesn't even support dvd-rw. Almost all drives out there are rewriteable regardless of the format +/-.

I have nothing against apple in fact i love them, but i think they should treat us better.

i dont really see how its funny...or relevant really, i mean DVD-RW ? Speed of computer
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Can no one answer yes or no definitively for DVD-RW in the 12" Matshita's SuperDrive?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Can no one answer yes or no definitively for DVD-RW in the 12" Matshita's SuperDrive?

Yes!

According to this review (Third story down) of the MacResq PB G4 Superdrive upgrade

Quote:

I also tested a DVD-RW disc to make sure it was supported - it was.

• Reply 10 of 14
    How did that tester burn a DVD-RW with the Matshita UJ 815?

I'll buy a DVD-RW and see what I can do with it.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    This appears to be the situation:

PowerBook 17": firmware DWDB, burning DVD-RW supported.

PowerBook 12": firmware DOCB, DVD-RW burning not supported.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    yes but is that the permanent situation, there is no way to upgrade the 12" SuperDrive to DVD-RW and faster burning?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Well, if your 12" PowerBook had to get an Applecare Superdrive replacement, that might do it. Or perhaps someone will figure out how to extract the DWDB firmware and create a newer updater.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Does the thing physically burn DVD-RW and double burn speeds or not. And if it does why the hell is Apple doing this!? Why are they "missing the boat" on DVD-RW when they admitted they "missed the boat" on CD-RW.