Apples upcoming displaylineup to include TV?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is my first thread at a forum and is purely based on speculation on my part, and hopes for what apple will deliver.

Could apples new display lineup include TV's? All the major players in the home entertainment market are beginning to include LCD tv's to their lineup, so why shouldn't Apple? Is it dificult to incorporate TV capabilities to a LCD computer screen? I don't know, But it could be a natural extension to apples digital hub strategi, and just imagine what apple could do in the television market in terms of ease of use and design. And it would be a great way to enter new markets. This could also act as a way of showing off apples ease of use and productdesign to a whole people they can't reach otherwise, since people are ofter looking more at the design when buying a television rather than when buying a computer.

I might be miles off what Apple is doing with my wishful thinking, but this could generate substancial revenue to Apple I think, and they do have most of the technologi inhouse (they did produce the performa 5200-5300 that incorporated television) they only need melt the products together.

Oh, and didn't the original 15' TFT (dark blue transparent) incorporate TV-in?

What do you think? Am I way off with this idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    pb g3pb g3 Posts: 95member
    I only see one problem with this...TVs are already extremely easy to use, that's why everyone has one.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Besides, Steve hates TV. Hates it.

Screed
  • Reply 3 of 14
    You are absolutely right. TV's are very easy to use, but not always very easy to set up. B&O are actually the only company who have reinvented the remote with their Beo 1 remote. I wonder if Apple could do the same...

But what could they do with the design? I think the new Aluminum alloy that the new powerbooks use is very interesting...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    An Apple plasma TV would indeed be cool!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    TV sets are too easy toys for Apple. Steve Jobs won't bear a device which can't connect to .Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    [quote]Originally posted by stunned:

<strong>An Apple plasma TV would indeed be cool! </strong><hr></blockquote>

A Plasma display/TV would fit, they are over priced for the quality that you get.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Well, Gateway is now selling a <a href="http://www.gateway.com/home/prod/hm_els_plsmtv.shtml"; target="_blank">42" Plasma TV</a>. Personally, I would welcome a TV tuner of sorts in Apple's LCD display lineup so that I can watch TV in my office without having a separate TV. As for a large living room TV from Apple, it would make sense only if you could use it to view media from iPhoto, iTunes and iMovie stored on your Mac (presumably via Ethernet or 802.11g AirPort Extreme).

The relatively low $3000 price tag on the Gateway Plasma TV has certainly made me consider buying a new TV. But our Sony WEGA is still holding up very well.

Escher
  • Reply 8 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    If Apple sold a TV (plasma or whatever), you can count on only two things: it would look a bazillion times cooler than ANYTHING out there.

And, it would cost 43% more than it ever should...

Let's not forget who we're dealing with here, people.

• Reply 9 of 14
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    I believe that OSX offers extensive system support for ATSC high definition chip sets.

Some rooting around in your system and library might be instructive.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by stunned:

<strong>An Apple plasma TV would indeed be cool! </strong><hr></blockquote>

plasma sucks, don't believe the hype!
  • Reply 11 of 14
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>If Apple sold a TV (plasma or whatever), you can count on only two things: it would look a bazillion times cooler than ANYTHING out there.

And, it would cost 43% more than it ever should...

Let's not forget who we're dealing with here, people.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmmm..... like this one:

That's a 43" plasma screen which is probably around 43% more expensive than anything out there, looks a bazillion times cooler and probably has the easiest user-experience and fully integrated media-hub for your home (excluding on-line though).

Why on earth would Apple bother when B&O does it so whell.

Kroehl

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: kroehl ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 14
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    [quote]Well, Gateway is now selling a 42" Plasma TV. <hr></blockquote>

Yeah, well Gateway seems like they are dipping their toes into too many markets. I predict this move to be a disaster (along with others too).

I personally due not find plasma displays to live up to the hype.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Gateway selling plasma TV's is a bad idea? Hell no! At 3299 a 42 Plasma Flat Screen is amazing and I bet they're selling like hot cakes. I am buying one for myself someday to hook to an alienware navigator extreme (when I get a lot of money) and buying several for a bar I am opening.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    engpjpengpjp Posts: 124member
    RendezVous

engpjp