video editing question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
is it possible to copy analog video tape onto my eMac? i want to edit a field tape of a movie i made years ago. i thought it would be cool to remake it in iMovie. any help to either directly copying or extra hardware i can use would be great. thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    You need an analog to digital converter. Look for one that has firewire out.

Like this one: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=T4910LL/A

Note: You can probably find it elsewhere cheaper, I'm just linking you to Apple as an extra reference that it's Mac-compatible.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    You can use a VCR as your Analog converter. If you have a firewire camcorder, just plug its RCA cables into the output of the VCR, then connect the camcorder to the computer with the firewire cable. Turn your camcorder onto Playback mode. (Make sure the camcorder's settings allow the signal from the vcr to be passed through the camcorder) Start iMovie, make sure the camera icon is selected in iMovie. Now you should be able to import with iMovie. (There might be some sort of setting in iMovie as well to allow the passthrough feature, not sure, play with it... hope that works) Good luck
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Yeah, if you have a Digital Video camera you can easily go from your VCR through your Camera then to your eMac.

If you don't have a digital camera, like in my situation, check this adapter out. http://electronics.shoppingsavvy.com...Converter.html It's $70, cheaper than the $250 one on Apple's site. I don't have that one, I just borrow someone's digital camera, but I'm thinking about getting it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    wow, that way is much better. ive got friends with digital cameras, so that isnt a problem. ide much rather lug the vcr down to my comp than fork out 100 sum odd dollars (im canadian so the cheaper one still isnt that cheap). thanks a lot!