Smack right down to reality...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
People really need to take a "reality pill" around here (the never shown green pill in the matrix).

You people want a G5. So do I, however the odds seem to be against it. So, the alternative is a G4. But how in the heck do you think motorola, king of slowness in the processor field, managed to so effortlessly get a 1.4ghz G4?? NOT gunna happen guys!! 1.1ghz would be lucky!

(moving on to the more intelligent part of this post). 867mhz G4's highest now. Combine the pure luck of some chips being able to do a ghz, and motorola having a little time to bump it to a ghz, 1ghz G4's can be assured. Adding in SOI, depending on how good Moto found it, might lead us to 1.1, 1.2ghz. Sorry, but not 1.4ghz.

I'm sick of getting myself all sky high with ideas at macworlds (the average idea that people have pre-MW... like believing in 1.4ghz G4's, or 1.6ghz G5's). Not gunna happen folks.

And besides, if its a G4, you can bet that 1.1/1.2ghz model will be a dual processor.

My ****realistic**** guesses (processor only)

Bottom G4:

SP 867 or 933mhz G4

Middle G4:

SP 1200mhz (1197mhz on 133 bus)

Top G4:

DP 1064mhz

Thats presuming apple stick to a 133mhz bus and hold the 266mhz or 400mhz bus off for the G5's. Sadly, I think all the cool new tech will be bounced back to a G5. If its at MWSF, it'll have all the cool gear. Else, MWSF's macs wont.

Seriously people...

500mhz -> dp500mhz -> sp733 -> dp800

-> 1600 ????

-> 1400 ????

-> dp1064 & sp1200 likely.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    DP 1064? What are you talking about?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    No seriously, Apple CAN'T sitck with a 133 bus!!!!

If so I'll be sick as hell
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by Hornet:

<strong>People really need to take a "reality pill" around here (the never shown green pill in the matrix).

You people want a G5. So do I, however the odds seem to be against it. So, the alternative is a G4. But how in the heck do you think motorola, king of slowness in the processor field, managed to so effortlessly get a 1.4ghz G4?? NOT gunna happen guys!! 1.1ghz would be lucky!

(moving on to the more intelligent part of this post). 867mhz G4's highest now. Combine the pure luck of some chips being able to do a ghz, and motorola having a little time to bump it to a ghz, 1ghz G4's can be assured. Adding in SOI, depending on how good Moto found it, might lead us to 1.1, 1.2ghz. Sorry, but not 1.4ghz.

I'm sick of getting myself all sky high with ideas at macworlds (the average idea that people have pre-MW... like believing in 1.4ghz G4's, or 1.6ghz G5's). Not gunna happen folks.

And besides, if its a G4, you can bet that 1.1/1.2ghz model will be a dual processor.

My ****realistic**** guesses (processor only)

Bottom G4:

SP 867 or 933mhz G4

Middle G4:

SP 1200mhz (1197mhz on 133 bus)

Top G4:

DP 1064mhz

Thats presuming apple stick to a 133mhz bus and hold the 266mhz or 400mhz bus off for the G5's. Sadly, I think all the cool new tech will be bounced back to a G5. If its at MWSF, it'll have all the cool gear. Else, MWSF's macs wont.

Seriously people...

500mhz -&gt; dp500mhz -&gt; sp733 -&gt; dp800

-&gt; 1600 ????

-&gt; 1400 ????

-&gt; dp1064 & sp1200 likely.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hornet, I understand your pessimism, but this is ridiculous. Apple MUST do something now in the area of its Pro Line.

Why do the "odds" seem to be against a G5? I think there is far more evidence in support of it then against it. In fact, the ony piece of "evidence" against it in reality is the "non-denial denial" that MOT gave. In fact, this denial wasn't really a denial at all.

Fact: You have no facts. Please see my "For and against" thread for the arguments.....
  • Reply 4 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It's true. Once you look at it from the 867 point of view. How is mot going to almost double (1.4GHz-? ) speeds?, It seems unreasonable. But I do hope we see some of the things that we've been talking about here for a few years. Like a 400MHz bus, DDR RAM, 800, or 1200, 1600Mbps FireWire, and USB 2.0 You know UMA-2.0. I definatelt don't think there will be a G5, nor do I think there will be a 1.4GHz G4. 1.1 / 1.2 at the max. I know it's depressing, but what do you do?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    what you guys have to understand is that the G5 is condusive to higher clockspeeds so 1.4/1.6GHz sounds like a huge leap but for a 10 stage pipeline design made on .13um with SOI, it's not that huge. It still lends itself to more MHz increases.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>what you guys have to understand is that the G5 is condusive to higher clockspeeds.</strong><hr></blockquote>

More condusive as compared to the G4? Well that might be true, but then again, the cream cheese in my fridge is also more condusive to speed then the G4 cpu.

The Motorola PowerPC G4 jumping from 500Mhz to 867 in only 2 short years! My hats off to all those hard working folks at MOT... I can only hope that with the latest round of layoffs those responsible have FINALLY gotten their reward for a job well done!

Dave

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Let not forget that the G4 in question is NOT the G4 in current Macs. The Apollo G4 has not been seen yet and with SOI and pipeline improvements may well reach 1.4 GHz or even 1.6 GHz.

Having said that I still think that there is a possibility that the G5 might be seen and announced. If the new Mac (why call it an iMac?) has Apollo, then the new PowerMac will have the G5.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    aphelion posts:

If the new Mac (why call it an iMac?) has Apollo, then the new PowerMac will have the G5.

the consumer line and the pro line could share the Apollo for a short time (3-6 months) without it being the end of the world...i don't think they should hold back the g-4 from the consumer models if the g-5 isn't ready just yet...g
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jjjj Posts: 48member
    I'm still betting we see the G5 in march.

Jan will be about the new iMac, possibly a new consumer device.

I heard the G5's production specs are basically final, but yeilds and OSX readiness will hold them back a few months. They are much closer than many people think, but I really don't think we'll see them in jan.