iPod + Rendezvous + Airport extreme = Love

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Imagine this:

Your on the subway with your iPod. The music on your iPod stinks (or you're just plain bored). You switch into "ScanMode" and the iPod finds all other iPods (or other music devices with WLAN and rendezvous) on the subway. You pick one and the other iPod starts to stream whatever the other person is listening to via Airport extreme to your iPod.

If you like the song playing right then, press save.

Would be so cool.

Can I have one please?

(+ you have to figure out who the other person is, a fun little game when your cruising around downtown)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Hmmm sounds like a great idea and i love it.

I think some of the tech is still a few years off (ie miniaturizing 802.11g, battary life, etc)

the only problem i see is the legalities of sharing music like that because i'm sure piracy would become an issue
  • Reply 2 of 5
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    I can see befor me my battery lasing for about an hour. AirPort cuts the battrylife in my Powerbook in half, so what can it do to an iPod?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Agreed. That would be tons of fun. It would make an iPod 200% more desirable for me!

Same with iTunes, but we already know that's coming! Intercompatibility with iTunes on a regular Mac would expand the feature.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    [quote]Originally posted by Henriok:

<strong>AirPort cuts the battrylife in my Powerbook in half</strong><hr></blockquote>

???

Speaking from my own experience, I'd have to disagree (be it that I am working on a 14" iBook). I am on my own Airport network a few hours every day, and have more than once been on battery all that time (I'm often too lazy to get my power cord). This iBook is one year old by now, and I can get more than 3 hours of battery life out of it, whilst surfing, downloading, moderately photoshopping and such, with Airport on, and on battery. I'd go so far as to say that I can't imagine my battery having gone past 4 hours much before I had the Airport card.

It might eat some of your power, but nowhere near half.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The problem of AirPort sucking down power has been mostly licked. Newer 802.11x hardware is much more efficient than the first generation was.

However, the odds of such an iPod allowing you to 'Save' shared music is zero. That's piracy. Steve already demonstrated a way for iTunes to share music between machines with no copying - a point that he emphasized - and that's as close as you're going to get.

What would be cool - and legal - is if you could 'remember' the ID tags, so that you could hunt down the album it's on later.

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>