My new (for me) Powermac!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I know everyone else is holding out for PowerMac G5 goodness, but some of behind the curve guys have got to snatch up these deals for machines that are already loaded and much faster than we will ever need to go.

I picked up a used dual 1 gig PowerMac G4 with 1 stick of 512 meg DDR RAM (Thus allowing me to not waste it if god forbid I ever need to go to 2 gigs of ram) an 80 gig HD, Geforce4mx, Superdrive, etc. It is the MDD model.

Total cost...$1100 no tax, no nothing. A little over 6 months ago this was a $2500 dollar machine.

I figure I will likely get about $600-650 for my old Powermac G4@450 with 1 gig of ram, 40 gig HD, and 32x cdr.

It kicks some decent butt at Unreal Tournament 2003 so far.

Life is good for the lowball freaks like me.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
  • Reply 2 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    nice, that's way faster than any Mac i've ever owned. at least for the next few weeks.....
  • Reply 3 of 14
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    There is nothing wrong with being a bottom feeder. There are some great deals to be had that way. Nice machine by the way. I wouldn't mind one of those myself.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I will be joining you on the dark side with a G4 tower of my own soon. I am looking for a dual 867, but they are hard to find. alternatively anything at 800 or above is my preferred range.

o lord give me altivec! i love my ibook 600 but she will not win any speed races.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

nice, that's way faster than any Mac i've ever owned. at least for the next few weeks.....

Come on this is Apple, think shades of 17 inch shipping...you will be slower for at least a couple months.

Think late September....

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Right on. Don't listen to the "G5 or die" members... that is a seriously sweet machine you just picked up. Enjoy!

• Reply 7 of 14
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Hey, whereabouts did you pickup that used dual gig ?

I could use a powermac at that price.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Hey, whereabouts did you pickup that used dual gig ?

I could use a powermac at that price.

Just some clueless kid with too much money.

Nick
  • Reply 9 of 14
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Oh, good deal then, I wish I could find one of those around here...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    i bet it "fell of the truck"
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Not long ago I picked up a loaded G4 450 AGP for $500. If you want to get $600, you better start looking for another kid with too much money...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by dsoileau

Not long ago I picked up a loaded G4 450 AGP for $500. If you want to get $600, you better start looking for another kid with too much money...

There are plenty of those types of kids here in Cali.

Nick
  • Reply 13 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Oh, good deal then, I wish I could find one of those around here...

I find that there are too many of those kids in my town.

BTW, does anyone want my Beige G3/300 with 17" Applevision display, Jaguar, Office:Mac, Appleworks and Studio MX? All for just $150! Any takers?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I find that there are too many of those kids in my town.

BTW, does anyone want my Beige G3/300 with 17" Applevision display, Jaguar, Office:Mac, Appleworks and Studio MX? All for just $150! Any takers?

Is the display still sharp? How much RAM and drive space?