ARA Server 3.0

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to find Apple Remote Access 3.0 server (I'm setting up an old 8600 to act as a dial-in file server at school). But for the life of me, I can't find any place to buy it. Is it in the public domain now? Apple's site acts stupid when I search for it, and googling isn't helping.

I'd be very appreciative for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

I'm trying to find Apple Remote Access 3.0 server (I'm setting up an old 8600 to act as a dial-in file server at school). But for the life of me, I can't find any place to buy it. Is it in the public domain now? Apple's site acts stupid when I search for it, and googling isn't helping.

I'd be very appreciative for your help.

Consider using an Airport basestation. Sounds weird, but it works great. I replaced my 3 ARA servers with base stations and its cool. I can admin them anywhere and the have wireless, too! LAN, WAN, 10/100, 802.11g, encryption, and a 56k to boot.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    You can dial in to an AirPort base station? Amazing.

Another option would be to install Linux on the 8600 (as long as you have a guru handy).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

You can dial in to an AirPort base station? Amazing.

Another option would be to install Linux on the 8600 (as long as you have a guru handy).

Yup. I have a suite of ABS's that my sales force dials into. They are designed for PPP and SLIP and support a lot of encryption methods. Pretty safe, easy to admin from OS X, OS 9 and even Windows. I don't think they support AppleTalk, I could be wrong. They are pretty cool really. I hate the status lights, too much emphasis on looks and not functionality.