28 pages later...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If you haven't heard, you will.

We can't read them, but I suggested this often and early in the days after 9-11. Seems I was right.

Back then I asked why we didn't slam Saudi Arabia. Of course I knew the answer to my rhetorical question, but still. If the Iraq campaign has done it's job (nothing to do with weapons, though everyone in the know and not playing politics knows there were weapons there, and Iraq's own defiance is a matter of public record -- reason enough for regime change actually, no matter) If Iraq has served it's purpose, it's time to squeeze the vise on the Saudi royals. However, our justified distaste for those twitchy bastards must be tempered by a cautious approach to a population leaning dangerously towards a reactionary embrace of theocratic extremism.

It's gonna be a mess.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My friend from Romania wondered why we weren't bombing Riyadh. But he's a kook. Kook like a fox

Anyway. This one issue gets me madder than any other. FSCK those unworthy assholes! A country like Saudi Arabia has done nothing to earn the respect of the US or any other country. Except backward islamic theocracies.

The US needs to cut them lose. They will still sell us oil. Maybe not at the price we want but post 9-11 it would cost us more in the long run to play nice with them rather than do what's right.

Let's see the 28 pages.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Oh and every time I see that fscking Saudi Arabia ad on TeeVee is want to put my foot through it.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Is there perhaps a political/strategic component to waiting just a leeetle bit longer before throwing SA into the fryer? ...say about 10 years from now?
  • Reply 4 of 41
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    The US is so oil dependent that we're the economic b*tch for SA. C'mon fuel cells!
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Just the US?
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Mostly us, think about it, most other industrial nations have adequete public mass transit, in the US it is limited to exceptionally large urban centers, the scale of the US makes it difficult. So we are driving fools. Plus the image of the driver in their personal vehicle is such a freedom turn on for the American ideal.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    I was unaware that the rest of the world had managed to eliminate the need for oil to run. The fact is, it isn't just the US. The entire world is a slave to oil, period. Just what do you think buses run on, anyway? Spring water?
  • Reply 8 of 41
    I'm not saying that, what I am saying is that per capita we are far more dependent on oil than the rest of the world.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Dependent is dependent. Making quibbles about who uses more doesn't solve anything.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    No it doesn't, but being that we are the most dependent, it makes finding a solution more dire and more difficult. Plus, for good or bad the US is the big boy on the block for now, making our policies, loved or loathed a great factor in what happens to other nations.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Oh jeez. One step forward, two steps back.

Dependent is Dependent. You shut off the oil to any modern country, things will grind to a halt. It's pointless to make note of who's using more/who's using less. Either it is dependent and it grinds to a halt, or it isn't. If your point is simply to make light of why doesn't the US conserve more (and become more like Mexico, production-wise), that belongs in another topic. If you just wanted to make light of who the "oil-whore" is, welcome to reality- the WORLD is an oil-whore.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Chill brother, my point is that b/c we are more dependent that a solution is harder to find for us. Whereas the other nations with less dependency can switch over with less hassle. I hope I'm clear on my point, I think I'm clear on yours.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    ...and these supposed "less dependent" countries have already switched over to run "oil-free" since they can, I presume? Who are these countries, and what are they running on? This is an empty argument, honestly. There are no "less dependent" countries. They are either dependent or not dependent (and not dependent on other countries that are dependent). Hence they are either a whore or not a whore. There are no "half-of-the-way" whores.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    As I said, chill.

It's a matter of logistics, if an imminent need were to arise a conversion to fuel cell would take less time in say Great Britain than in the US. US pop = aprox 300 million

Great Britain pop = aprox 60 million. If change over time of the neccessary infrastructure to support said population = X per 1 million then 300 million multiplied by X is far larger than 60 million multiplied by X.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Jeez. We can't even get four posts into a decent thread before it's completely hijacked into a full blown flame war.

And you guys keep bitching about those darned Al Qaeda hijackers
  • Reply 16 of 41
    All hail! The fuel cell is the answer to everything! These fuel cells that "create" energy from nothing (because these fuel cells evidently don't need something else to put the energy inside of them).

Rest assured, if you cut the oil line to Great Britain, they will grind to a halt. Dependent is Dependent. If fuel cells suddenly become the answer somehow, the country that can produce the most of them (not the one having the least per capita to supply) will be in the best shape. It's a good bet, that country will be a superpower, and it will create surplus so as to aid other countries that lack the brute manufacturing capacity. So this theory that the country that has "highest per capita" will be SOL is just FUD.

Now if we can be through with playing the "only the US is the evil oil whore" game, by all means lets get back to talking about "28 pages".
  • Reply 17 of 41
    A. Most industrialized nations are looking for fuel alternatives, have been for decades

B. I'm talking about the logistics of converting, more people in an indutrialized nation = more infrastructre, more infrastructure = more time and complexity neccesitated for conversion

C. Until a conversion on the majority of our fuel needs we still have to play delicate politics with Saudi Arabia, beint that they are the big boys of OPEC

D. You are repeating yourself with nothing new to add

E. you are trying to goad me

PS

F. OPEC couldn't halt production to all the industrialized nations, for most of the OPEC nations oil is their major (if not only) source of income
  • Reply 18 of 41
    F) You are oblivious to the term "Dependent is Dependent" no matter how many times it is repeated. Thus making this statement:

Quote:

The US is so oil dependent that we're the economic b*tch for SA. C'mon fuel cells!

...utterly pointless. It's like pointing up at the sky and saying it is blue. Well, it happens to be blue all over the world when you look up. Worrying about rate of logistical conversion is pretty much beside the point if your country has ground to a halt after the oil supply is cut. Once it is ground to a halt, that pretty much means you were dependent. That pretty much describes every single modern country in the world with some degree of economic influence.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

F. OPEC couldn't halt production to all the industrialized nations, for most of the OPEC nations oil is their major (if not only) source of income

Ironically, that makes them as much a "bitch" to the oil as it does us. They have to sell it, or they will grind to a halt.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    You're sounding an awful lot like the "genius" from the Princess Bride during the Wine contest.

Somehow, I get to feeling that you are deliberatly missing the points of my argument. What I am stating is that while it might take the UK 30(arbitrarily chosen) years to become oil independent due to a smaller infrastructure, we will still be dependent, meaning we've got to be more careful in our politics than the others. Yes, to please the public we creatively point our fingers to sources in SA, but we are careful to not point them directly at the Saudi royal family.

Yes, OPEC is a b*tch to the oil. SO, sayonara suckas when we do get oil independent