Converting video to VCD/DVD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a video, and a G4 tower.

I want to convert video to VCD or DVD.

The first stage: how do I get video into the Mac? Do I need a "card" of some sort? Or just a lead?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by unremarkable

I have a video, and a G4 tower.

I want to convert video to VCD or DVD.

The first stage: how do I get video into the Mac? Do I need a "card" of some sort? Or just a lead?

Stage 1: Do you have a Firewire camcorder (i.Link, or whatever Sony calls it, for example)?

Stage 2: Most tools work in the DV format. This is done automatically by camcorders, for example, when you transfer the video to your Mac.

Stage 3: There is no stage 3! I guess I'd like to know what hardware/software you have, to see how to go on. MacAddict over in the States just had a "how to" article on how to make (S)VCDs, for example. Most of the tools were free, except for Toast. For DVDs, there's iDVD, if you have an internal DVD burner.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    No, no Firewire or anything. Just an analogue VCR...

I think I will be able to figure out the writing okay, it's getting the video into the Mac that's the bit that confuses me!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I do have a firewire port on my Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    You'll need an A/V card with A/V in, obviously, or a firewire solution. The firewire videocam is a good idea, albeit somewhat expensive (but hey, you'll be able to load all of your home video straight into your mac and onto DVD with it, as well as convert anything you've got on videotape).

Other solutions are, IIRC, the EyeTV firewire TV capture solution, and the Formac Studio DV. You'll have to read up on those to see what exactly they do, but both can do what you want. I do believe the Formac comes higher recommended, especially for what you're trying to do.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    One of the cheapest way to get analog video into your Mac through the FireWire port is with Hollywood Dazzle. I've even used this with iMovie. You connect your video out into this thing, and connect it to the FireWire port of your Mac. If you have iMovie running, it will recognize it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

One of the cheapest way to get analog video into your Mac through the FireWire port is with Hollywood Dazzle. I've even used this with iMovie. You connect your video out into this thing, and connect it to the FireWire port of your Mac. If you have iMovie running, it will recognize it.

That looks good! Thanks!