is this an ebay scam?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ok, i need some help investigating...i won this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2745101035

it seems like a "to good to be true" issue with the price set at only $1000. this is why i think it might be a hijacked user id. however i had to buy it now because the price is so good. i haven't paid anyone anything yet, because if it is fraudalant of course i feel no obligation to pay.

anyhow, everything about this auction seems legit, but i know there are *lots* of powerbook scams. can anyone suggest ways to investigate?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    It does seem a bit too good to be true... I think it's a bit shady that the only thing that's coming with the powerbook is the power adapter... no manuals, no other cables, etc..

Try contacting the other users who have dealt with him. The seller seems to sell a variety of items... power tools, books, games... and all of a sudden, a Powerbook?? It may be legit, who knows... If it gets too shady for you, well I think you can safely take a hit on your user feedback if you get a negative from this guy.

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed. If it turns out to be legit then you definitely win for best deal ever.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ironchef82

It does seem a bit too good to be true... I think it's a bit shady that the only thing that's coming with the powerbook is the power adapter... no manuals, no other cables, etc..

Try contacting the other users who have dealt with him. The seller seems to sell a variety of items... power tools, books, games... and all of a sudden, a Powerbook?? It may be legit, who knows... If it gets too shady for you, well I think you can safely take a hit on your user feedback if you get a negative from this guy.

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed. If it turns out to be legit then you definitely win for best deal ever.

it only including the power adapter was actually a selling point for me, because it seems like a scammer would say it included everything. i just don't know. i'm going to see if he'll take escrow
  • Reply 3 of 20
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    sweet a combo drive that let's you burn DVD's
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

it only including the power adapter was actually a selling point for me, because it seems like a scammer would say it included everything. i just don't know. i'm going to see if he'll take escrow

Hmm... see, my perspective would be that if, say, i were selling my Powerbook, I would be shipping it in the box it came in, including all the manuals and power cables and what not... (besides... why would I want a 12" Powerbook manual for myself if I'm selling it to someone else?) seems a lot more legit to me knowing that I'm getting the manuals and other cables cause then I know that the Powerbook came from a legitamite business or dealer. Just the power adapter itself almost sounds like this powerbook was randomly found somewhere and it's being sold.

Escrow sounds like a great idea. Just say that you really think it's a good idea considering the significant amount of money being transacted. I'd offer to pay for all of it considering the low low price you're getting.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    yeah, i'm waiting to hear back from the guy. escrow would probably ramp the price up to about $1100 after shipping. still pretty cheap though.

i found this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3538736841

and it looks like the same background for the picture...also, i see all the pictures are being hosted from the same place.

i also found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2743082732

here he is selling an imac that is sitting on the same table as the powerbook auction i won. somehow, that imac only went for $1225, that seems cheap..
  • Reply 6 of 20
    he looks legit. but maybe it's hot.

his cuff link auctions (exciting!) are formatted the same way as the few electronics things he has.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    The auction itself is legit.

The powerbook was stolen.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

I have that same feeling too...
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

what do you base that on? the lack of accessories included?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    time is running out

"THE BUY IT NOW OPTION WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED IF PAYPAL IS USED TO PURCHASE THE AUCTION WITHIN 2 HOURS OF WINNING. USA SHIPPING ONLY!!!!! PAYMENT IS WITH PAYPAL ONLY!!!!"
  • Reply 11 of 20
    can't you get some kind of buyer's protection from paypal?

the place may be a pawn shop, it says the have a store.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

can't you get some kind of buyer's protection from paypal?

the place may be a pawn shop, it says the have a store.

yes, i decided the place was a pawn shop. paypal has buyer's protection for items under $1000. Since this was $999.99 i was eligible. the protection was $55 but now i get a refund if i don't receive the item. He was a verified paypal member. So looks like, worst case scenario, i'm out $55
  • Reply 13 of 20
    keep us updated when you get it.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Good luck, I hope it's legit. I hope it's not been purloined from a legit Mac user too....
  • Reply 15 of 20
    turns out it was stolen and the police took it. they refunded my money and all is square, but i feel bad for the guy who lost his powerbook.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Does Apple offer the ability to lookup a computers serial number to see if it was reported stolen?

You can do this with cars. Seems like a good service. Not a privacy issue since Apple could answer either yes or no.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

turns out it was stolen and the police took it. they refunded my money and all is square, but i feel bad for the guy who lost his powerbook.

How did you find out it was stolen? I'm considering an auction on eBay right now and, while the price is in line with what I'd expect for a used iMac, I'm paranoid that it's either a scam or the computer, um, fell off the back of a truck.

It's a shame so much scamming goes on, it's to the point where I'd rather pay more just to buy from a "real" reseller and not have to worry.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    ask for the serial number of the powerbook, and ask apple if that number is ok or stolen.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

ask for the serial number of the powerbook, and ask apple if that number is ok or stolen.

Yea that's what I was thinking. Maybe a picture of it.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

How did you find out it was stolen? I'm considering an auction on eBay right now and, while the price is in line with what I'd expect for a used iMac, I'm paranoid that it's either a scam or the computer, um, fell off the back of a truck.

It's a shame so much scamming goes on, it's to the point where I'd rather pay more just to buy from a "real" reseller and not have to worry.

check feedback. if everything original is included, it's probably fine. 98% of ebay sales are totally legitimate. give us a link and we'll give you our opinion