Why are car stereos so bling bling?!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's like you can't find a manufacturer who will make a simple black understated in-dash CD/receiver player!

They all have these flashing lights and cheap plastic chrome painted dial knob. The buttons are so small and not user friendly at all.

I miss the days of clean designs from harmon karden and blauplunk.

Perhaps I'm missing some manufacturer. But does anyone know of a tasteful looking in-dash player?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    One problem is the store you are shopping in. Most of the radios in there are targeted to "punks" (I use that word lightly and humorously ) who want an upgrade. I found car part Magazines have a large supply of all kinds of radios. There are mags that are filled with hundresd+ radios.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Be prepared to pay a LOT for something understated and well-designed. Not only do those things look bad, but they were laid-out by idiots too.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I'm buying a new car stereo and have the same problem. All I want is something that plays mp3 CDs so I don't have to burn a ton of CDs. Right now my girlfriend has one of these shitty CD-player-through-cassette-adapter rigs. But everything I look at is all silvcery and flashy, just like crappy nike shoes. Why is it so hard for them to make a normal black car stereo?

And what is up with the remote controls? You are in the car! Why would you need a handheld remote? I certainly understand having controls on the steering wheel, but a handheld remote? Anyway, it looks like this is what I'm going to have to get:

• Reply 4 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I had the same criteria, giant, and I ended up with pretty much the same thing. I didn't get the remote though. At least it doesn't appear to have one of those super-duper volume/EQ flashing Las Vegas display things.

PS: if you have or want to eventually get an iPod, make sure it has an auxiliary jack.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

PS: if you have or want to eventually get an iPod, make sure it has an auxiliary jack.

That's exactly what I'm looking for...one with an aux jack for my iPod.

Yeah, I did see a few understated ones, but like you said, they're priced much higher.

Do manufacturers purposely "uglify" a product and stick on a lower price? Sheesh!!!

After more searches, the only brand that kind of fits the bill and doesn't cost an arm and a leg is Clarion.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Last weekend, I installed a JVC KD-SH909R in my car. It was a blow out sale where they only had the silver ones, but there exists also a black version (SH-909RB):

It has a line in jack on the front. The price was 300 Euro (incl. 16% VAT).

There might be already a new model available.

Edit: For iPod users, the cheaper, but similar looking KD-SH707 would be more suitable. The only difference to the 909 is the missing possibility to play MP3s.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

At least it doesn't appear to have one of those super-duper volume/EQ flashing Las Vegas display things.

LOL
  • Reply 8 of 22
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I think that the bling bling look came from the fact that most of cars now have built in stereos. Built in stereos have a good look, because the look is done especially by the car maker.

Car stereo makers, think that the market of their product is for old cars, or not so expansive cars, and that the people who buy it like this kind of look. As always the marketing, can lead to terrible products.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Great thread. I would love to replace my Cassette with a CD/CDRW player, but the buttons for changing stations in most of the aftermarket players are made for people with freakishly small fingers!

It just seems like a downgrade from what I have now in my Chrysler.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Which reminds me..Why do so many cars look like they were designed to look like a big cheap basketball shoe....

real ugly...
  • Reply 11 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    It's the same thing with shelf systems. Have you seen the shit they are made out of? Friggin' Lighty Up, flashy things!

I haven't replaced a car stereo in years. My new Envoy has a 6 disc in dash changer, so it'll be there for awhile (it's also got controls on the wheel....so that's a bit complex I imagine).

Anyway, I might eventually pop in some speakers....though it has a Bose system. I think the sound cold be better, still.

[curses self for being a musician who can hear the difference between good and shitty speakers]
  • Reply 12 of 22
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    If you like understatement and have enough money, you might also check Nakamichi

or McIntosh

• Reply 13 of 22
    just an update: my lady recently handled an ipod and now 'has to have one.' She doesn't even own a computer, but 10 minutes with that little player and she's a macaddict. Apparently apple really knows how to hook them. Long story short, instead of the new car stereo, we're going the itrip/ipod route. More flexibility, no installation and we don't have to worry about the car getting broken into.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

just an update: my lady recently handled an ipod and now 'has to have one.' She doesn't even own a computer, but 10 minutes with that little player and she's a macaddict. Apparently apple really knows how to hook them. Long story short, instead of the new car stereo, we're going the itrip/ipod route. More flexibility, no installation and we don't have to worry about the car getting broken into.

Just to let you know, the iTrip is not the solution if quality of sound is an issue. It's probably about as good as one of those cassette adapter things...which is not very good.

Also if you live in a rural area, reception may not be very clear.

But then again, it's only about $35 vs. $150+ for CD/installation.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Just to let you know, the iTrip is not the solution if quality of sound is an issue. It's probably about as good as one of those cassette adapter things...which is not very good.

Also if you live in a rural area, reception may not be very clear.

But then again, it's only about $35 vs. $150+ for CD/installation.

Well, I've already braced myself for pisspoor sound quality, but if it's as good as any other FM radio signal then that is fine. I have my studio at home for when I really want to listen to music. It is a car, after all, and I don't spend much time in it anyway. There also something that's just so romantic about high-tech low-fi, you know what I mean? Like Burning man 2000, when everyone who was anyone in the then culturally elite world of technology (bezos et al) spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on onetime camps that just got beaten by sandstorms in the middle of nowhere. Or like the reporters with their 12" powerbooks in the middle of the Iraq war.

anyway, my fellow musicians act like low-fi is the new black, so I guess it would make us in style or something.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

I hear that VolksWagen's going to install them in their cars..Is this correct ?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

I hear that VolksWagen's going to install them in their cars..Is this correct ?

Yes I think next year and iPod will come with every VW. I don't know if it's EVERY VW, or just like the Jetta or something. It also comes with a car adapter kit.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    How about the car DVD players? Holy crap man, does someone really need to be able to watch movies during an average car trip?

As for the stereos, I've had the same problem. I want a CD player and a line-in input so I can hook in my MP3 player, but most of the car receiver are too small, I need something to fill all of the space (I think the tech term is DD size). My Volvo's receiver has nice big preset buttons with the numbers raised so you can tell what button is it with a light brush. I'd get a Volvo CD changer but they go for ~$600. Honestly all I need is something in the correct size, black, and a white backlight. Flashy buttons and crazy LCDs would just distract me.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

How about the car DVD players? Holy crap man, does someone really need to be able to watch movies during an average car trip?

I know a guy with one who has really thick traffic to wade through in their morning communte. So when there are stalls and stuff(80% of the time) he has a movie going so he can just glance down at it for a little while.

But yes, generally I do agree that it is a little much.

As for car recievers being flashy and not very user friendly, I find it funny that often times the more bling bling cars have the most utilitarian and not flashy reciever fronts, it is certainly the case I've seen with many luxury cars, big easy to see and press buttons, no flashing lights, monotone colors...much like apple computer
  • Reply 20 of 22
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I, to put it politely, am a cheap bastard when it comes to vehicles. So I am going to throw up two stereos here that have absolutely no "bling" but gave me everything I wanted in a stereo.

Bling 1

Bling 2

I own the Jensen MP3310. I bought it for about $150. I have burned cd's holding up to 160 mp3's on them and it does great. The only complaint I have is that it will scroll the artist name or the song name, but not both. I know it is silver but I didn't care. It is loud enough to ring my ears if I'm not careful, plays am/fm/cd/ and mp3 all on the cheap. It allows me to mute the sound with the push of one button or also pause the cd if that happens to be that to which I am listening. It has plenty of station presents too.

Nick