Determing order that images are downloaded from server

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am working on a website and would like to know if anyone knows of a way to force the images to be downloaded in a certain order - for example I would like to download the background image first, then the logo, then save all the images for rollovers for last. Any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I've never heard of it, and I've been making websites for people for about 5 years now.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    well, i dont think its been standardized at all. in theory, images are small enough, the server is fast enough, and the client is fast enough to grab them in reasonable time, so the downloading step is very short and hardly if at all noticeable. i would assume that most browsers would download the images as they encountered them in the html, but you cant guarantee the order they are finished, because some browsers download more than one image simultaneously in threads. so, maybe, if you put an img tag at the top of your code for the first image, and then another for the next image, etc. each of those top img tags could be given a width and height of 0, or something, so they dont actually affect the page. If the image files are named the same, modern browsers shouldn't download it more than once, and then insert that one copy in all the places.

i'm curious, why does the order of downloading matter?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Just better aesthetically-The page looks better if the background is on at the beginning,and the images for the JavaScript rollovers are of secondary importance-plus I thoink it would be better if th eimages from the top of th epage download first, because that is where people will be looking first. None of it is necessary, it is just a question of giving the site some more finish.