Rumor: 1.8GHz DP G5 for $2549

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is according to MacRumors who got it from macdoobiedoobie. If true, however, how can Apple justify the price of the 1.8GHz SP for $2400, never mind the price of the 1.6GHz? Dropping the price of the 1.6 and 1.8 SP would give you the same effect as introducing a new DP model. Even better if the have a 4 computer line up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 179
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Pipe Dreams.

Why would someone spend $2399 for a Single 1.8 when the Duallie is just $149 more?

If this happens you will see the Dual 1.8Ghz for $2699 or $2499 without Superdrive.

I agree Outsider a Price drop would have to happen to squeeze the Dual 1.8 in
  • Reply 2 of 179
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Kill the SP 1.8, lower the price of the DP 1.8 slightly, and kill some price at the 1.6Ghz department too.

SP 1.8 sales will stagnate if Apple releases a DP model for only $150 more! An DP 1.8 would sell like hotcakes. The 2GHz model is a little too much for what people can afford, and as the 1.8GHz processor reportedly has significantly better yields, the DP1.8 would move alot of pressure to the right spot, reducing delays, and all in all, Apple would sell more, I think!

I'd definitely get the dual 1.8 instead of a dual 2ghz, if the price has a $500 difference. The purchase of a dual 2GHz is over my budget, really, but I'll just have to get it. I refuse to get another SP.
  • Reply 3 of 179
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Another dual in the line-up would be a VERY good idea. I didn't (and still don't) understand why there's only 1 dual, and at the highest end for that matter. Surely there's got to be oodles of lower-Mhz chips being produced, and with Apple's previous push of 'two brains is better than one' I think most of us expected at least 2 dual configs.
  • Reply 4 of 179
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I suspect that as G5 production increases there will be more duals in the pro line-up.

My bets are on an all dual G5 tower set, with improved internal expansion (read 4 HDD's) with more or less the same prices as the current G5's.

Single G5 cube-ish towers would then slot in at the current PM G4 prices, once those models are finally discontinued. 12-18 months.
  • Reply 5 of 179
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

My bets are on an all dual G5 tower set, with improved internal expansion (read 4 HDD's) with more or less the same prices as the current G5's.

Don't count on it. How many people have 4 SATA drives. There's no room for SATA-PATA adapters. Adding 4 Internal bays would require massive Case changes. User need to realizee that Apple is not going to have more than 2 HD bays for the next 3-4 years. And don't give me that "Pro" mumbo jumbo. Pros uses Network Storage. Hell I'm not a Pro and I save my important files to the Server.

I like the idea of Killing the Single 1.8 and just making it a Dual. Apple should have done that in the first place.
  • Reply 6 of 179
    bennbenn Posts: 10member
    It seems that the dual 2.0GHz model is the best-seller of the current line-up (50% of all orders I read), so perhaps this is a way to help IBM stimulate demand for the 1.8GHz 970.

If 50% of people are only interested in dual 2GHz models, then IBM is going to be stuck with a bunch of 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz 970s (that have better yields than the 2.0GHz).

My $0.02. :-)
  • Reply 7 of 179
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    I cannot believe Apple did not see this coming. People have had their money and hopes pent up for years for a true performer in the PowerMac line, and now when they give it to them, they have 2 single-CPU machines in the lineup and only 1 dual. Especially seeing how well Mac OS X utilizes the 2nd processor. Dual is pretty much the way to go, and the castrated 1.6SP HAS to be the poorest seller by far.
  • Reply 8 of 179
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Hmurchison, There is no excusing the lack of drives. I haven't got a single desktop with less than two HDD's, one has three, the other two. Both have two opticals. You buy a tower for a measure of future proofing simplicity -- just drop in the new component.

A great many pros make use of the internal drives, you're off-line storage line is the mumbo jumbo here, NOT a reasonable amount of internal bays. Graphic artists who have lots of big files and don't want to constantly swap files or plug in external drives, typically, they have a drive just for projects, and one just for Apps, and add more drives as they need space, rather than throwing out the old drives. The whole point of a tower is to be able to add without throwing out older periperals. Hell, you can even "upgrade the HDD in an iMac if you're willing to remove the old drive, which kinda defeats the purpose of a tower design -- easy internal additions (expansion) that's why you pay more.

The move was bone-headed and there's no excusing it, period. Knowing that a great number of P-ATA drives are out there, it would also have been prudent to make room in the case for adaptors, but again, short sighted, especially because SATA allows this to happen withot a hitch, Apple just needed to leave a little space, they didn't -- STUPID!!!

When's the time for a redesign? When you design the case in the first place, now they will have to re-design the insides, which, BTW, do have enough room if they just juggle the zones a tad.

You can NEVER have enough storage. Digital cameras will put out 12MP plus image files ere long, digital backs, up to 40MP. And people routinely make photoshop projects that are multi GB affairs. Add 48 color, add increasing resolutions, more power and more layers, and you'll see big projects that currently take .5-1.5Gb swell to 3-4-5 GB in the next couple of years. Then multiply by dozens of such projects all on the same machine. Then there's video which needs GB per minute of storage and this will NOT remain the perview of Offline storage since the data rate is well with in the capacity of modern drives. People want to plug their DV into their own computer and use the data there to bang up a quick job, even pros, and not fiddle with more boxes. Once they do, they tend to keep stuff on their drives, just because. Very serious video stuff will always go off line out of orthodoxy and neccessity, and for safety. However, just having the stuff there on your own machine is a great advantage to many many professionals.
  • Reply 9 of 179
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I'm definitely with Matsu on this one. The option to only have two harddrives - as if it isn't enough that you're limited to SATA only, previously incompatible with macs(?)! This is almost as embarrasing as the 64MB RADEON 9600 pro graphics card option (can you even find something as little for a PC?), both, which are utterly unneccesary, and my only real complaints about the G5 itself.

I too cry for redesign. alot of video pros will want an internal, effective RAID, which restricts one to the highly insecure RAID0, or RAID1, and not RAID5.
  • Reply 10 of 179
    Quote:

Hmurchison, There is no excusing the lack of drives. I haven't got a single desktop with less than two HDD's, one has three, the other two. Both have two opticals. You buy a tower for a measure of future proofing simplicity -- just drop in the new component.

Multiple Drives are just a bad idea for many reason.

1. Too many platters. You have more heat..more noise and more PS draw using multiple drives. The efficiency lies with reducing your multiple drives down to 1 or two.

2. Price- Penny wise pound foolish. You want Apple to engineer in 2 more Drive Bays which would cost more money so you can use cheap legacy drives. Sounds like a Wash to me.

Hey I agree with you Towers are for upgrading. But in the next few years we will have 500GB Drives for under $300. I mean what's the point of stuffing in a bunch of dinky drives?

The move was not Bone Headed. Professionals aren't screaming about it because they don't need a Terabyte of local storage despite your desire to toss in your legacy drives. You're failing to see the point. The Solution Apple is providing is "Can our users utilize 500GB of internal storage?" The answer is YES. Frankly Apple doesn't have to give a damn about your legacy drives they've provided room for ample storage.

Quote:

You can NEVER have enough storage.<snip>

Apple isn't limiting you. What you are asking for is INTERNAL storage. All the more reason to have RAID, SAN or NAS. If you have someone who doesn't have the mental capacity to set up a NAS for Fileserver then they shouldn't be in charge of 100s of Gigabytes of Data.

The end story here is that Networks have ruled for Decades. Local storage is simply not as important to perhaps the majority of computer users. I haven't heard ONE Professional bitch about drive bays other than the optical. FW drives rule the roost for Digital Video and Audio .
  • Reply 11 of 179
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    The serious G4 and G5 demo systems at Siggraph are using the xRaid for storage.

Of course, unlike many of the posters here, the people at Siggraph using serious systems actually make a living with them.
  • Reply 12 of 179
    Quote:

A great many pros make use of the internal drives, you're off-line storage line is the mumbo jumbo here, NOT a reasonable amount of internal bays. Graphic artists who have lots of big files and don't want to constantly swap files or plug in external drives, typically, they have a drive just for projects, and one just for Apps, and add more drives as they need space, rather than throwing out the old drives. The whole point of a tower is to be able to add without throwing out older periperals. Hell, you can even "upgrade the HDD in an iMac if you're willing to remove the old drive, which kinda defeats the purpose of a tower design -- easy internal additions (expansion) that's why you pay more...

• Reply 13 of 179
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    hmurchison, shawk.

Well said.

Apple will never please the "think i might need that extra slot,drivebay crowd." its been going on for a decade. To many of those people don't use the power they have already.

I've dealt with dozens of creative and video agencies and FIREWIRE is king. And when Firewire is still not enough its replaced by san cubes, xserves and xraids.(with high speed fiber connecting it all so its like that remote server you are using is actually inside your own machine.)

We finally get a chip that no one can complain about so now they are moving to other parts of the machine.
  • Reply 14 of 179
    Quote:

I too cry for redesign. alot of video pros will want an internal, effective RAID, which restricts one to the highly insecure RAID0, or RAID1, and not RAID5.

That's not true. Maybe skunkworks Video shops but if you look at many midlevel and up studios they do alot of work on external drives for portability.

You guys have been reading too much PC Fanboy stuff about Motherboard RAID. The Pros are using combinations of External Drives and Network Storage. I hang out at Creativecow.net, CreativeMac 2-Pop and countless others and I never hear people complaining about about HD Bays. This seems to be the Domain of MacBitchers that populate fan sites.

Hell let's get back somewhat on topic. Would you trade a Drive Bay for a Processor?
  • Reply 15 of 179
    Quote:

A great many pros make use of the internal drives, you're off-line storage line is the mumbo jumbo here, NOT a reasonable amount of internal bays. Graphic artists who have lots of big files and don't want to constantly swap files or plug in external drives, typically, they have a drive just for projects, and one just for Apps, and add more drives as they need space, rather than throwing out the old drives. The whole point of a tower is to be able to add without throwing out older periperals. Hell, you can even "upgrade the HDD in an iMac if you're willing to remove the old drive, which kinda defeats the purpose of a tower design -- easy internal additions (expansion) that's why you pay more...

Yes 3 Drive bays would have been better. But I disagree about pro not wanting to plug in external drives, I have several friends who for a large graphic/publishing company they all use external drives. They all love firewire, it speed is close to SCSI but with out the trouble of the SCSI chains.
  • Reply 16 of 179
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Hell let's get back somewhat on topic. Would you trade a Drive Bay for a Processor?

why the **** would you have to? it's these weak ass arguments that just make no sense at all.
  • Reply 17 of 179
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

I too cry for redesign.

I'm fine with 2 drives and don't need RAID. Why should 90% of the buyers pay for something you or Matsu think to need?

Stop whining about Apple not to build <<put in your personell dream system>>. It's boring after the 1000th time!
  • Reply 18 of 179
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I work for a company with over 300 Macs now. all doing Photoshop, Illustrator and Freehand work. No one has more than one hard drive, and the local drive is used to work on projects locally after bringing it off the server. At the end of the day, they upload to the server so it can be backed up and shared the next day. 2 drive bays is good enough for 95% of the people. Make that 98%. We can't trust users to do their own back ups. External drives fill in any niche.
  • Reply 19 of 179
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

why the **** would you have to? it's these weak ass arguments that just make no sense at all.

ummmm....riiiiiiight.

Guys just add a Half Terabyte drive in a couple of years. Don't worry be happy.
  • Reply 20 of 179
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

ummmm....riiiiiiight.

Guys just add a Half Terabyte drive in a couple of years. Don't worry be happy.

I'm glad you're able to plan your drive needs 2 years in advance.