Is UFS a good idea?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm still waiting for my 320 GB LaCie Big Disk to arrive, and I'm wondering if maybe I should format it as UFS. The reason being I'm planning to install Linux next to MacOS X as soon as the drive arrives (I'll need to empty my iBooks drive first). So, I'm thinking if maybe UFS (Unix File System) is a better way to go in conjunction with Linux, and possibly with a 1394 equiped PC running Windows/Linux. Of course, I'm wondering if this would make its performance on OSX (which I plan on being my main OS for quite a while) take a hit. And would this make it impossible to mount the disk on OS9?

What's the word on the street?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I think you should just leave a large unallocated space on the drive, and then allow the Linux installer partition that area for you. The installer will know what format to use.

And also, I'm not sure if Linux can be installed on a 1394 drive. I tried it with YDL, and it wouldn't let me. Maybe another distribution can.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Well, I'm not going to install Linux on the external drive, but I was wondering if a UFS format would make the external drive behave better (?) with Linux and other OS's/computers I might run into.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I think that as long as the disto you chose supports HFS+, then it should be able to read the drive just fine. Also, do NOT install OSX on UFS. It slows it down a bit(in my expierence) and breaks ceartin applications. Of course, this was when I had 10.1, so something may have changed.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Stay away from UFS. Use HFS+ for OSX. The latest kernels for PPC have HFS+ support so you can read and write to HFS+
  • Reply 5 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Stay away from UFS. Use HFS+ for OSX. The latest kernels for PPC have HFS+ support so you can read and write to HFS+

Okay, but do i586 kernels also have HFS+ support? I'll most likely be setting up a hypercheap second-hand PC with Linux in the very near future, and I don't doubt that I'll want to use the disk on that box as well. Alternately, I guess I could partition the disk and format one partition in UFS, or some other flavor Linux might like. Still, I think it'd be nice to have my mp3 and AAC collection on just one partition, to be used by both these computers (I'm even thinking of hooking up the disk semi-permanently to that PC and accessing it over the network). Hm.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    I just set up an old x86 Linux box to serve mp3 files because my roommates are too lazy to download their own

I formatted the drive with ReiserFS because it sounded cool and exported it with NFS. Mounting it in OS X was pretty easy and a google search turned up a bunch of howtos. I ran into some permissions problems that required a little administrative trickery, but it's been working fine since.

On a 100baseT LAN, I don't even notice the difference between playing mp3s locally and playing them over the network. Ogg Vorbis files load pretty slowly for some reason. I'm hoping some NFS performance tweaks will resolve that though.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

Okay, but do i586 kernels also have HFS+ support? I'll most likely be setting up a hypercheap second-hand PC with Linux in the very near future, and I don't doubt that I'll want to use the disk on that box as well. Alternately, I guess I could partition the disk and format one partition in UFS, or some other flavor Linux might like. Still, I think it'd be nice to have my mp3 and AAC collection on just one partition, to be used by both these computers (I'm even thinking of hooking up the disk semi-permanently to that PC and accessing it over the network). Hm.

Yes, FS drivers are platform independent, so with RECENT kernels, like the last month or so, you can read/write to HFS and HFS+. Also, on the subject of FSes, I'm not sure I ever seen UFS support in the kernel.

Avoid UFS.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I beg to differ with the common opinion here. After a relatively-recent Jaguar re-installation I decided to format my main drive as UFS. I rather enjoyed the case-sensitivity (although it caused a couple of headaches in iTunes when backing up multiple files by the same artist but with different capitalisation).

Keynote, oddly enough, would not run. The tech support guy actually had to waive the no-open-returns policy because the manual and web site did not specify this at all. (It surprised me, too, as Keynote is Cocoa--its themes, however, are not.)

The Panther beta installed well on the UFS disks of my computer and my sister's, but with a caveat: the Apple appeared for a great length of time, perhaps as long as five minutes. A boot in verbose mode revealed the time-consumptive process: the disk check. The fsck utility appears to require significantly longer to check UFS than to check HFS+. (Apple's UFS format, by the way, encodes resource forks into invisible Unix executable files.)

Other than Keynote and certain utilities as Drive 10 (a cheap piece of software, in my opinion*), I experienced no problems at all with UFS.

* I contacted Micromat and enquired about TechTool 4--it too will, despite being Cocoa, apparently not support UFS volumes when it comes out. Lazy cretins.

I suspect that, as Carbon disappears, less reason for HFS+ will exist. Although resource forks may (to my chagrin) always be supported somewhat, I suspect that, once we've made the transition to Unix-dom, many doors may open for us. Whilst some may argue that Apple might never allow its system to be installed out-of-the-box on an Intel box, I know little enough about the issue (:-D) to naïvely assume that they are simply holding back until the casual user won't be at the point where a vanishing resource fork would cause concern.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    HFS+ will be the primary FS in OSX, at least for the next five or so years. UFS can just end up confusing consumers, plus, it has some problems with Airport(might have been fixed in 10.2, not sure).