PayPal Scams

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have read numerous accounts of people receiving these spoof emails, from people pretending to be PayPal and digging for personal info. I just got my first one this morning, and it made me laugh my ass off.

Apparently, my PayPal account has been inactive for a while, and they are giving me a chance to verify myself and keep the account going. (they obviously do NOT know who I am - )

These guys of course ask for my PayPal password, full name, and credit card number with expiry date. But, get this, they want my ATM PIN number! It's for bank verification. This isn't suspicious AT ALL!

The sad thing is, there are a hundred people furiously typing this information in, hoping that their PayPal account isn't deleted. I forwarded it on to PayPal, but I'm sure that will do nothing.

And man, going to their spoofed site is SCARY. If it wasn't for the super long URL starting with an IP number, I'd swear it was legit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I got one of those, but it was thrown out with the rest of my junk mail(Thank you, Mail.app).

I get more of the African bigwigs asking to transfer funds, or some such crap. They always come from different addresses, so their not as easy to filter out.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

The sad thing is, there are a hundred people furiously typing this information in, hoping that their PayPal account isn't deleted. I forwarded it on to PayPal, but I'm sure that will do nothing.

Man, who pissed in your cherios this morning?

Paypal has already taken action by emailing members about these hoaxes.

Quote:

From Paypal on 30 Jul 2003

Protecting Your Account

Many users have recently reported receiving emails that appear to be from PayPal, eBay, or other popular websites that ask the user to enter their password or other private information either directly in the email or by clicking a link. These "spoof" emails are designed to capture private information from unsuspecting users, and are not sent by PayPal.

Stay safe; don't respond to emails asking for any of the following:
    • Your password and email address combination

• Credit card numbers

• Bank account numbers

• Social security numbers

• First and Last Names

Other online safety tips:

Always log in to the PayPal site

PayPal will only ask for information AFTER you have securely logged in.

Keep your password safe

Use a unique password for your PayPal account, and don't use it on any other site or for any other service.

Read your email carefully

PayPal will always address you by your first and last name or business name when we send you an email

Report Suspicious emails

Help us keep the community safe for everyone. If you receive a suspicious email, please report it to us at [email protected].

• Reply 3 of 4
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I got the same email. Just saying these clowns will be near impossible to track down.

Someone needs to die.

• Reply 4 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member