I'm gonna be a Dad!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Any advice? I'm a first-timer... and scared as hell! We're both ready for kids... but then again... are we?

Any advice for this newbie Dad? I've got until March to calm down..... :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Congratulations.

P.S. What were you thinking!?
  • Reply 2 of 44
    I was thinking it would take longer to ahh.... happen. ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 44
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Congrads. But you've learned your lesson.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Nice shot

Prepare for something completely different. As a dedicated uncle annex babysitter, I have to say kids completely drain you. They wake up at six and run around and scream all the way up to six. After that, if you have some juice left, you can do something else. Of course, if you have a job, you'll bear less of the burden. Still, they are wonderful. They are. In any case, I do hope you'll be dedicated. Changing a diaper every now and then... that sort of thing. And don't ever, EVARRR leave your kids to go hook up with some floozy, or I'll hunt you down myself.

[Hmm. My liberal, libertarian even, left side suddenly sounded like religious right there. I wonder what gives.]

All in all, good luck. This is a joyous occasion.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Do this as soon as possible.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    If the baby is crying a lot just shake it really hard. Or maybe it's the other way around? If it's shaking really hard start crying? I'm confused.

Either way congrat's and good luck.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Okay, now Murbot's link was just freaking scary! LOL!

Yeah, I know it will be something different. And hey.. I'm not planning on running off! Geez! Some people.... :-)

I'm not a 'guys can only do guy stuff' type of person. I will certainly pitch in and help with the whole thing... I mean after all... she's gotta give birth! ;-)

Daycare? Worst thing you can do... or necessary evil? Your thoughts...
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Okay... don't actually go to Murbot's link and follow the 'story' they ain't kidding about the squeamish ratings....:-O
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by npynenberg

Might get some free milk.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Might get some free milk.

I think they should counter sue for failing to pay for wet nurse service.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Jesus, even the dads are getting free milk.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

I used to think it was bad, but it supposedly has many advantages for your kids. Socialization from an early age being the most important one perhaps, but also the fact that they are exposed to children's diseases as children. That sounds bad, but if you realise what children's diseases can do to adults, especially pregnant women, you'll soon agree that this might not be as bad. Also, depending what your stance is on vaccination, it might be wiser to allow them to have the actual disease. It appears immunity through disease is a lot stronger and reliable than immunity through innoculation.

The socialization part, in any case, appears to be so important that my government took initiatives to promote daycare (together with, however, initiatives to allow parents a longer maternity/paternity break).

An important decision, but I'm sure you'll be able to make a good decision, maybe after reading up a bit on current views on the matter.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    Congrats! Be happy!

I have an eight month old and all I can tell you is patience!

Also, perpare your living area NOW! My rugrat now wants to climb under this desk and rip up the wiring. He wants to beat my iBook like a drum, he wants to stick his fingers and taste everything. He wants to stick his fingers in the Xbox and the VCR.

Also, don't be scared, education is the key. Find out everything you can about childbirth and childrearing. Come up with plans you both can agree on. Don't be a wuss, watch childbirth vidoes. Don't be grossed out, the vagina will return to normal after a few months.

GET HELP when the baby comes home. Grandparents, close friends, Aunts and Uncles. Don't settle to let them come over and just gawk at your little joy. Put them to work. Reward them lavishly for their assistance! If your family sucks, hire someone to help out on occasion, but don't leave them alone with your kid until you get to know them. Start exercising with your wife when she hits her six week good to go exam.

Some other suggestions.

If its a boy, don't circumsize him unless you have some religious requirement to do so. Its mutilation. Anything they tell you about cleanliness is bunk in a modern (I bathe at least every other day) society. If you think I'm crazy about this then read this (and if you don't trust this source I can find more scientific sources for you):

http://www.rotten.com/library/sex/ma...gs-cornflakes/

Have fun!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 44
    with due respect to der koph, there is no pediatrician in the united states who would agree with der koph's vaccination advice.

vaccinations should begin at infancy. without these vaccinations a disease or illness a child gets at this early age while development is so rapid, could lead to mental retardation, heart problem, blindness, deafness, etc.

yes there are risks involved with vaccinations but they are miniscule compared to the risks without.

i was lucky (or so i thought at the time) to be able to quit my job and take care of our two boys (we're in the process of adopting a girl from china) full time, but as der koph mentioned we did make sure our kids got enrolled in as many preschool classes and activities as possible as the socialization aspects of daycare are important. (and yes i get every cold and flu that comes through town.)

i know it's cliche to say that it will change your life for the better but speaking as someone who never thought it would happen to him (i waited til i was 40) it will change your life positively!

congratulations.

remember prenatal care is important too.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Any advice? I'm a first-timer... and scared as hell! We're both ready for kids... but then again... are we?

Any advice for this newbie Dad? I've got until March to calm down..... :-)

Congratulations on your heterosexual endeavor!
  • Reply 16 of 44
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Congrat!

Free Milk sucks.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Huge congratulations.

Now go out to movies and dinner as spontaneously and as much as you can afford.

In reference to the above, my son wasn't circumcised. The doc told us that we'd be treating the wound for several days until it healed.

A buddy of mine told me about having his son circumcised... horrific. He nearly burst into tears when he was telling me about it. I'll bet there are films on the web, look for one with Sound to it to firm your resolve.

My boy's now three years old and he hasn't had THE FIRST urinary infection.

Look up a book called "The Thirteen Months of Pregnancy". It's a book for YOU, the prospective father and it's great.

Make sure that she eats right, and that she KNOWS that you love her. Rub her feet, hold her, take her out to candle-lit dinners, she will drive you nuts, but do it anyway.

Remember to purchase a Wall Street Journal, USA Today and your local newspaper the day that your child is born. Wrap them up with dessicant, put them away and forget about them until Junior's 21.

Don't forget to buy bubble gum cigars for your friends too!

Best,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 18 of 44
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Runaway now...

otherwise you'll bond in an instant and you'll end up boring all your mates with hundreds of photos of your buba..

Every dad does this...

But you'll know when you over the top with it, when your mates start leaping out of windows.....

Also wait till you get a good sniff of your first nappy change...

And as for SEX..forget it...It won't happen until the dinosaurs come back....

Ps ignore all of the above...

I am just jealous....

• Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Runaway now...

otherwise you'll bond in an instant and you'll end up boring all your mates with hundreds of photos of your buba..

Too true. Few people know that the cuteness of babies is actually a self survival trait. Who wouldn't run from a loud stinky, smelly, foul smelling, loud thing that only eats and poops. Oh and when you're not looking it pees in your face.

As the child grows older it loses its cuteness but gains something more. As you entertain the baby it reacts with laughs and fun reactions. This directly simulates the addition centers of your brain. Before you know you have a 17 year old you can't kick out and wants you dead. But like a fall down drunk or a slot machine jockey you just can't give it up.

Enjoy!
  • Reply 20 of 44
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Who wouldn't run from a loud stinky, smelly, foul smelling, loud thing that only eats and poops. Oh and when you're not looking it pees in your face.

Sounds like an Ai'er who just got himself banned...