OS X or Windows?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know Im asking this question to a bunch of mac guys....but Im honestly wondering....those who have switched..is it really better?

I use windows (never used a mac) for me windows is easy as cake. But I am bored of using the same os over and over again. And I love to try new things, and I love the beauty of the macs and OS X.

here is what I will be using the comp. for

Webdesign (photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, FTP(obviously)

3d creation (Maya)

Programming (C++)

Word, excell

Games (GTA3, Need For Speed, Spy Hunter, Unreal Tournament)

could you give me some real advice if its worth spending an extra 400$ to get a powerbook, or stick with a good old toshiba notebook?

Doinker FOR LIFE!

http://www.doink.vze.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Not a switcher, but spent a number of years using Windows 3.1 to XP. When OSX came out, it was a dream come true, and each revision makes it SO much better. You completely forget what an error message looks like. I take both my G4s for granted sometimes. I forget that I am using a computer as my Macs "just work" so to speak. If you are looking to play games...buy a gaming console. Unreal Tournament plays great on a Powerbook, especially the 1Ghz ones. GTAIII, Spy Hunter, etc, I am pretty sure all run on a PS2. Word and Excel work on a Mac, not sure about C++, I can't imagine why not. Photoshop of course, Flash yes, same with Dreamweaver. Get the Powerbook and you won't regret it. Go to an Apple Store an test it out. Test drive the OS, see what you can do with it. OSX is the best thing to happen to Mac users...just my opinion.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackwind212

3d creation (Maya)

Programming (C++)

Word, excell

photoshop will run fine, and ftp's are better on the mac

macromedia's stuff doesn't run superwell on mac...it can do everything PC side can but its coded poorly and kinda clunky/slower

never used maya but i'm sure it runs fine

apple's dev tool allow you to write c++, any text editor will allow that though...u should look into this more i would think

word and excell...we have them and they are better

games, well there rn't as many games so this may bother you but they are games, and they are good...be prepared to wait to get them though because its harder to port directX games to use OpenGL. To those who say use a gamign console to play games...screw that, games are SO much better on computers your crazy
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:

I know Im asking this question to a bunch of mac guys....but Im honestly wondering....those who have switched..is it really better?

Yes. Trust me.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Yea it looks really awsome

my friends tell me not to buy a mac, but they have not used macs at all so they are just saying it out of ignorance.

Im going to go to the college next door (it has a mac lab) and play around with os X.

THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR Replies

• Reply 5 of 27
    I would go for mac. Windows does have it's pluses in that it's compatible with almost every program written. I'd wait until panther comes out, I think that update to X will further inhance the mac experience. Which i don't know how it could. I switched from a 98, NT, and XP machine, and I"m on my mac more then all of them put together. Go for mac. Although I'd keep a pc for games.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    There is no question that OSX is MORE than it's cracked up to be. I 'switched' about a month ago, and so far...I can't believe how awesome it is...

It occured to me the other day, that other than a few 'learning my way around OSX' issues, the machine has done everthing I've asked without cough, hiccup, or stutter.

I got an old Powerbook from work, which got me headed down the road to the point that I booted my WinXP based PC and picked up a 17" iMac. The Powerbook stays a flip of the screen away from up and running all day, and I NEVER reboot it. The iMac gets powered down daily (some sort of energy conscious measure on my part I guess), neither has given me even a hint of trouble.

It's amazing when your computer stops getting in your way...and OSX is so damn beautiful that I have something close to an unhealthy relationship with my Macs...

Just do it. Pick up an iPod too, it makes the most of the Apple experience.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

The iMac gets powered down daily (some sort of energy conscious measure on my part I guess), neither has given me even a hint of trouble.

Glad to hear that things are going smoothly for you. But, you know, your computer never needs to be shut down. Sleep is your friend. Seriously. They use very little power when they sleep and they wake up instantly. Try it. You'll like it.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Been a mac user since I was about 4, when we had an Apple IIe.. Ah yes, those were the days. (I'm only 19 now though, so really, these are the days ..)

Anyway, since this is a Mac forum, you are going to get biased replies. Although, everyone I've talked to who has Macs generally swears by them. I have to say, you should really do what Filmaker suggested, go on down to a nearby Apple store and test one out. I'm positive you won't regret getting one, nobody I know that has a Mac has (Except my sis, but she doesn't know what OS means. ).

They are extremely friendly and easy to use, and also can become incredibly powerful and complicated tools if you delve into the Terminal and so on..

Anyway, I've ranted too much for my first ever post here! 8) Hope this helps in some way!

Jimzip
  • Reply 9 of 27
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

But, you know, your computer never needs to be shut down

You don't save money turning your computer off everyday. It costs more to turn it on or off everyday and can lower the lifespan of the Mac (or any computer.) Let it sleep (like you do) every night. When you go away for an extended time then turn it off.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes, just put it to sleep. I haven't shut my Mac down in ages (except to move it or after I install some sort of software or update that requires it, of course). But day to day? Just put it sleep (Apple should - just for cute giggles - include some soft little snoring sound that you can activate when the machine goes to sleep).

To the original poster: I think you'll be more than pleased with the Mac, OS X, the iApps.

As a matter of fact, give me another week or two and I'll be able to relay a real-life, close-to-me opinion/thoughts of a brand new switcher...

Gotta go to Atlanta now...bye!
  • Reply 11 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Switch to Mac. It's that simple-- and you won't regret it. Period. UT2003? We got it! Maya? We got it! (and it's better) Microsoft Office? We got it! (and it's approximately 50X better)
  • Reply 12 of 27
    OS X is definitely better, especially in the preemptive multitasking department, though yes the Finder could be more multithreaded. Some may say app switching is slower or some other crap, but when it comes down to it OS X will not slow down even when launching multiple apps. Apps are truly separate, which is not the feeling I often get when running XP on a PIV 3.0Ghz.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I think one of the reasons the on/off button is out of the way (or to some, hard to reach) is because Apple wants you to always keep the iMac in a sleep mode.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    sushiismsushiism Posts: 131member

yep its ****ing ace for it, do it myself

3d creation (Maya)

yup good here too

Programming (C++)

wouldnt know about that but i hated visual studio on windows

Word, excell

borrring but it can do that if you really must suffer

buy a console, computers are for creating, consoles are for playing the latest ankle deep all looks no content game, so buy a gamecube and ikaruga (now thats a real game ) mmm so so amazing that game is.

Anyway get a powerbook, seriously no laptop can even hold a candle to it, they all jsut look like pathetic design tumors next to it mmmmm they're so lovely
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

The iMac gets powered down daily (some sort of energy conscious measure on my part I guess)...

You probably use more power during the reboot than you would just letting her sleep
  • Reply 16 of 27
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dale Sorel

You probably use more power during the reboot than you would just letting her sleep

I highly doubt this. Anyway we could test it by using a UPS and seeing if the machine that sleeps all night and awakes can run longer than the machine shut-down and booted up, before draining the battery.

Although I don't think lead acid UPS batteries like being fully drained, maybe we should try it with a laptop.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    It seems I read somewhere that the power used starting up is about the same amount of power used while being asleep eight hours (more or less anyways). I can't remember where I read it though. Probably on here!
  • Reply 18 of 27
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    X or Win?

Win of course.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Programming (C++)

yes you can do programming, with c++, on a mac. apple doesn't seem to like c++ as much as other languages, like Objective-C (yea, i know, you've never heard of it), and Java; but c++ still works, and you can write programs using a lot of osx goodness with them. But, for real fun, i recommend that you learn objc. As a language, it is the most fun one I have encountered. The syntax is a little tough to grab at first, but once you get used to it, you'll learn better practices than c++ forced onto you.

also, apple makes a spectacular ide called 'Project Builder'. i love it. with panther (the codename for the next version of the operating system), there will be a new version of Project Builder, called 'Xcode' which will knock your socks off. The awesomeness of it is so strong, that it pains me to use anything else (like vstudio at work). My favorite new features: distributed compiling over the local network (requires other comps on ur network using xcode), and 'fix and continue' (modify code, and push it into the already running application, then watch as it uses those changes).
  • Reply 20 of 27
    sushiismsushiism Posts: 131member
    you forgot to mention apples dev tools are free unlike microsofts hmm is xcode gonna be free or not?