Do Mail and Safari Suck?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Maybe it's me, but I just can't get on board with these 2 programs.

I've tried to migrate from Entourage to Mail 3 times, but inevitably go running back because I find Mail to be so oddly confusing and unMac-like. It seems bulky, and I still don't understand the need to distinguish between On My Mac and my regular pop accounts. Just get my mail and put it on my mac -- what the hell else would I want?

Then there's Safari. It CAN load quickly, and I like tabs, but I still haven't switched from IE because in IE I can open a window, type a URL, and press return. In Safari I'm always waiting for a home page to load COMPLETELY before it lets me do anything else. I could have no home page, but that's just another step I have to do when I first start up. I also always know where I'm at in IE -- I can tell when it's working, I can see what's loading at the bottom of the browser... Safari keeps me guessing, and I often have to press return several times before anything happens.

I'm not looking for flames -- I'm a MacAddict since 85 and former mac consultant. But I'd like to know if anyone else is as disappointed as I am with these programs, or if you're actually using them happily.

Thanks!

Paul

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    1.) Turn on status bar... and watch the URL bar at the top... notice how it fills with blue as the page loads!?!

2.) Set your homepage to "about:blank"

3.) Turn on block popup windows.

4.) Enjoy.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    perhaps pages are not loading because u keep hitting return to reload them

once u type in a URL and hit return the progress bar comes up...not sure if u reselect the URL or what your doing

i'd make my homepage google...nothing is better and it loads up quick
  • Reply 3 of 56
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by romeodawg

I've tried to migrate from Entourage to Mail 3 times, but inevitably go running back because I find Mail to be so oddly confusing and unMac-like. It seems bulky, and I still don't understand the need to distinguish between On My Mac and my regular pop accounts. Just get my mail and put it on my mac -- what the hell else would I want?

Please clarify your Mail question... I can't quite figure out what you're asking about.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    All that's keeping me from using Mail? is Puma. I never got Jaguar, 'cause I kept putting it off until Panther was announced, and at that point I thought it would be stupid to get 10.2. I can wait for 10.3, but for now Entourage can do what iCal (not available on 10.1.5), Mail (don't know how to set up a hotmail account in it) and Address Book (bah, I never use the claendar and address book functions anyway?) can do. Is there a way to set up a hotmail account in Mail? Ooh, or a netscape.net account? I tried that once, it would never connect properly.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Is there a way to set up a hotmail account in Mail? Ooh, or a netscape.net account? I tried that once, it would never connect properly.

I have heavy doubts on that; I tried it twice. But that was just out of curiosity.

Mail and Safari are very good applications. I'm having a lot of success with them. What you need to do is take a little time to get used to them, since they're so different. Then you should be just fine.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Is there a way to set up a hotmail account in Mail? Ooh, or a netscape.net account? I tried that once, it would never connect properly.

Indeed there is.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10842
  • Reply 7 of 56
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    I AGREE--macmail i still can't get it to send with my adelphia account i can receive no problem and i've asked in this forum for help but no dice i've tried everything now working with adelphia support, maybe it will be better with an update or it's a bug.

ANYONE OUT THERE WITH ADELPHIA AND USING MAC MAIL?????

i can get into it because it's mac and i don't want to spend more $$ and learn another email program

if i do have to use another program what do you suggest??? or maybe just use adelphia web mail
  • Reply 8 of 56
    yzedfyzedf Posts: 24member
    Mail does have its issues for sure...

Safari I thought was fairly nice. It needs a few more config options, but I am fairly sure those will come with time.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by yzedf

[B]Mail does have its issues for sure...

I agree, but are there updates or fixes, does anyone else have problems sending mail with mac mail????
  • Reply 10 of 56
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    No problems, but I have read about issues sending mail. The whole thing is pretty complex to program.

As a solution I would suggest getting the hotmail plugin. Im using it quite successfully.

Just send you mail using the hotmail account,but put your reply-to address as the address you normally use.

The hotmail plugin is on source forge. Google is your friend.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    I have also had good luck using httpmail, which is the script which gives you the ability to get hotmail. I find that Slate doesn't render correctly, though, but letters come out fine.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Quote:

No problems, but I have read about issues sending mail. The whole thing is pretty complex to program.

Quote:

I agree, but are there updates or fixes, does anyone else have problems sending mail with mac mail????

Actually, the process of sending a mail is not that complex. You program opens a connection to your mail servers port 25 and sends something like the following:

Code:

HELO <your ip address>

MAIL FROM: <your email address>

RCPT TO: <rcvers mail address>

DATA

This is a test!

QUIT

Where a lot of people run into problems is how their ISP sets up the mailserver. Here are some of the problems I have seen.

1.) Access is only granted to port 25 of the mail server from the companies own network. eg I pay ISP 1 for dialup and a mail account, then I switch to Cable with ISP 2. ISP 1 will no longer let me send to their mail server via ISP 2's network.

You can often spot this one with an Access Denied error message.

2.) Access is only granted for a 15-30 min window after you have checked your email with a valid username and password on the same server. Mainly used to stop against spam relaying - it makes sure only valid users are using your outgoing mail server.

Often spotted with a Relaying Denied error message.

3.) Some servers, during the initial connection (the HELO line above) might try to verify the hostname or IP address. If they think you are spoofing them, then they might drop the connection. Not really seen this first hand, but have heard about it.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Mac Mail weird--i used the same setting for netscape 4.7 and no problem sending. adelphia support suggests i contact apple. since all my settings are correct. o well
  • Reply 14 of 56
    I think that Mail is bulky too.. Id like a feature similar to 'Simple Finder'.. That would be nice...

And regarding Safari, it has it flaws, and everyone knows it. But most of those flaws should be fixed in the fortcomming v1.1, which is already bundled with Panther DP.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I would use Mail, but it's a lot faster to load up camino and hotmail.com than it is to load up mail and have it check my inbox.

I have liked mail a lot in the few times I've used it(with httpmail plugin) but it is a little too bulky, and it doesn't run very smoothly on my DVSE.

as for safari, it is a total stinker in my book. It has speed, but I'll take camino over safari anyday. When/if Omniweb ever adds Tabs, I'll probably switch to omni as my primary browser, because it seems to have the best windows compatibility, and so many webpages were made with windows IE and I run into problems a lot with camino.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    I love Mail and Safari. Mail is so simple it is so much better than Outlook Express. I like Safari too, in fact... Safari is the only browser I have installed.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

as for safari, it is a total stinker in my book...

... When/if Omniweb ever adds Tabs, I'll probably switch to omni as my primary browser, because it seems to have the best windows compatibility, and so many webpages were made with windows IE and I run into problems a lot with camino.

Ummm, doesn't the latest version of Omniweb use Webcore, so that means it will render exactly like Safari.

And by the way. I've had no issues getting Safari to render my web pages properly. Most of the problems out there are people designing web pages specifically for Internet Explorer for Windows instead of designing to web standards that pretty much all current browsers support. Granted there's still some issues, but it's a lot better than it used to be.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by romeodawg

It seems bulky, and I still don't understand the need to distinguish between On My Mac and my regular pop accounts. Just get my mail and put it on my mac -- what the hell else would I want?

Well, for example, if you had a IMAP account you could leave the messages on the server and have access to them from another computer (set up with mail.app, web access or whatever). Useful if you need info while you're away from you home comp.

FWIW I'm very happy with Mail.app and Safari. I enjoyed ditching Entourage and don't miss it, nor do I miss those too-easy-to-corrupt and enormous databases Entourage uses.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

Ummm, doesn't the latest version of Omniweb use Webcore, so that means it will render exactly like Safari.

yeah, but safari stinks, I don't like the UI at all.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    I beg to differ. I HATE anything Microsoft and Iove Safari and Mail. I could never ask for better. They rule. Don't any of you ever diss those two. They're great.