still some questions of a new user

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hi,

I'm glad I've switched to Macintosh now. It's a pleasure to use the powerbook and realising that it simply works, especially when I see Windows users having problem :-)!

But there are still some questions:

Is there any software that would make it easier to connect to a windows network?

I want to remove all those p2p programs that don't really work, because I finally found Poisoned. So, how do I COMPLETELY remove software from my mac?

Wich software do you use to convert a DVD-movie to DivX or Xvid? I've allready used Diva but I do get no sound.

Do I need any extra software if I want to control itunes or keynote with a bluetooth-enabled mobile phone?

Is there a good reason I should get an extra antivirus or firewall for my powerbook?

thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Is there any software that would make it easier to connect to a windows network?

I think you could use DAVE, though I'm not sure what difficulties you're having connecting. Please elaborate?

Quote:

I want to remove all those p2p programs that don't really work, because I finally found Poisoned. So, how do I COMPLETELY remove software from my mac?

Drag App from wherever to trash, and delete If you're really paranoid, there might be some file in your Preferences folder for the app, but they're harmless.

Quote:

Wich software do you use to convert a DVD-movie to DivX or Xvid? I've allready used Diva but I do get no sound.

Try Forty-two

Quote:

Do I need any extra software if I want to control itunes or keynote with a bluetooth-enabled mobile phone?

Try Sailing Clicker

Quote:

Is there a good reason I should get an extra antivirus or firewall for my powerbook?

thank you.

OS X has a built-in firewall, go into System prefs --> Sharing --> Firewall tab. There's shareware you can use to configure the firewall, I think I remember hearing Brickhouse was good.

Antivirus? Not needed for your Mac, but if you want to be nice and not pass on stuff to your Windows friends
  • Reply 2 of 3
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by MCQ

[B]I think you could use DAVE, though I'm not sure what difficulties you're having connecting. Please elaborate?

Thank you for this answears.

I'm having problems when I try to access shared volumes on my xp-box. I've been using a switch, now I use a cross-over cable with the same results. I've allready tried to use manual and automatic IP. I just got it to work correctly once, but it didn't work anymore after a restart of bouth machines (with the same settings).The most common error I get is I think "36".
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Refer to this document for information:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107096

Refer to this for setup:

http://joelshoemaker.com/computer/ma...lesharing.html

Also, if you have windows XP Pro, try using RDC off the Microsoft Mac site... works very well.