iSight Mounting Options suck

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
so I picked up an iSight today. It's great, except that I don't want to adhere any of these cheap plastic stands to any surface in my apartment. So I have it on the table stand, but the damn plastic is so light that it moves around too easily, not to mention that the articulation totally sucks.

I hope someone releases a nice, heavy, metal stand for the iSight. a stand that would allow you to rotate, tilt, and pivot the camera easily. One that is heavy enough to where it won't easily move if the FireWire cable shifts.

Other than that, it's cool. I'm a fan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    Well they're not metal but they might help you out:

http://macmice.com/sightclips.html
  • Reply 2 of 11
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Double sided tape?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    One of my early comments on iSight after seeing it was that the range of motion sucked.

Here's a mounting i want to see. Suction cup. That way I can stick to the window and look out.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    someone on either macfixit or macminute made their own cinema display mounting kit from cheap, easy parts from home depot. do a search and i am sure you'll find their instructions.

but i am surprised no one picked up on this before: one of the major gripes against the mounting kits for the cinema displays is that it is FLAT while the back of the cinema display is CURVED.

simply put, the iSight was not designed for THIS generation of displays, but the NEXT generation (aka the flat aluminum displays we all suspect are on the way to compliment the G5's).
  • Reply 5 of 11
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

One of my early comments on iSight after seeing it was that the range of motion sucked.

Here's a mounting i want to see. Suction cup. That way I can stick to the window and look out.

You could probably rig that up fairly easy with some of those macmice solutions.

I'm thinking the desk clamp might be a perfect candidate for attaching your own suction cup to.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

http://www.bigwoofilms.com/isight/

That is a very nice solution.

but I think I prefer the macmice ones, they seem more versatile.

I plan on getting an iSight with my powerbook so this stuff interests me a lot.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

http://www.bigwoofilms.com/isight/

That's practical! I like DIY.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

simply put, the iSight was not designed for THIS generation of displays, but the NEXT generation (aka the flat aluminum displays we all suspect are on the way to compliment the G5's).

there are no new displays coming anytime soon. Apple would have announced them already. You don't miss out on sales like that when you announce a new tower.

The displays are here to stay.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Eeek! Don't buy from MacMice. It's run by the same scammer as the MacTable scam and his MacWhispers lies.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

You could probably rig that up fairly easy with some of those macmice solutions.

I'm thinking the desk clamp might be a perfect candidate for attaching your own suction cup to.

Yea I'd have to buy one first. Each month I swear I'm going to sell some stuff to buy more stuff.