Best Keyboard?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm happy with my 12" powerbook, but I do think that the keyboard is a bit flimsy. Also, my room at the moment is quite hot, which is making the pb's heat problem seem much worse. Add to that the fact that soon I'll get a cheapish 17" LCD, makes me think that it's time to get a USB keyboard.

So, my question is: Is the Apple Keyboard the best and/or best value USB keyboard for the Mac at the moment? Do any others include keys like an eject key that will work with the PB's optical drive?

Thanks once again everyone for the help,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    The only way to really be sure about a keyboard is to try it. I sat down and tried the Macally iceKey when looking for a keyboard, and while excited about the possibility of scissor keys on a desktop keyboard, was unimpressed with the action. However, YMMV, as a keyboard is a very personal thing. It has the full complement of keys, including an Eject key that should work just fine.

I recently tried the new Apple Keyboard (not Pro) and did like it very much. The keys had a crisp feel to them, moreso than my current Apple Pro Keyboard, and if I were buying a keyboard today would definitely buy this one. However, it is non-adjustable. I'm hoping this is the keyboard that comes with my G5. Of course it will work just fine with your PowerBook, and the new Apple Keyboard even has a F16 key!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    FYI, purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion, not in Current Hardware.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Right, I now have an Apple keyboard. I like it - really clicky! Anyhow, does anyone know how I can get the as of the moment useless f-keys to launch apps, like I could get my iBook to in OS9?

Thanks,

David
  • Reply 4 of 12
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/

Should let you map the function keys.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/

Should let you map the function keys.

iKey lets you map AppleScripts to the function keys. So you can not only launch apps, but even assign application-specific functions to them. My iBook's F7, for example, toggles Pause/Play in iTunes. Very cool.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Here's an excellent keyboard. I don't own one, but I've heard good things from those who do, and I do own the original Apple Extended II, and it rocked.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fluffy

Here's an excellent keyboard. I don't own one, but I've heard good things from those who do, and I do own the original Apple Extended II, and it rocked.

$99! Even the Apple Pro keyboard was less than that! Not to say it's not worth the price.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

$99! Even the Apple Pro keyboard was less than that! Not to say it's not worth the price.

I'm still using my Apple Extended II that I bought in 1992... $169. Built like a tank! Of course those were the days of $7499 Quadras, $699 13" monitors and $90 1MB SIMMs.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Ah, history.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fluffy

It looks the same as the Apple keyboard\
  • Reply 11 of 12
    It's supposed to.

Quote:

Mechanical key switches for maximum comfort and speed.

Mac users who crave the feel of Apple's quality keyboards of old will love this keyboard. The Tactile Pro Keyboard uses high-quality Alps mechanical key switches, with enhanced tactile feedback for greater comfort and faster typing speeds.

Modern look and features.

The Tactile Pro Keyboard has been carefully designed to match the look and features of Apple's Pro Keyboard. It will look as good on your desk as your Mac does.

• Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

It looks the same as the Apple keyboard\

I'm sorry, but anyone who complains about the looks of a keyboard deserves their own RSI.