college football 2003-2004

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i kept thinking one of you other bastards would start the obligatory college football thread for 2003-2004, but none of you ever did. oh well, we might as well kick this off with the preseason coaches poll to get things rolling. do you agree with the rankings? if not, who belongs here and who doesn't?

1. Oklahoma

2. Ohio State

3. Miami, Fla.

4. Texas

5. Kansas State

6. Auburn

7. Michigan

8. USC

9. Georgia

10. Virginia Tech

11. Pittsburgh

12. Florida State

13. Maryland

14. North Carolina State

15. LSU

16. Tennessee

17. Virginia

18. Notre Dame

19. Washington

20. Wisconsin

21. Florida

22. Purdue

23. Arizona State

24. Oklahoma State

25. Colorado State

25. Penn State

Comments

• Reply 1 of 132
    Washington too high.

Tennessee too low.

Virginia Tech too high.

Pitt too high.

The national championship will of course be won by Texas.
  • Reply 2 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Washington too high.

Tennessee too low.

Virginia Tech too high.

Pitt too high.

The national championship will of course be won by Texas.

i agree with all but that last part, at which i must question your sanity. either that or groverat is holding a gun to your head.

• Reply 3 of 132
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    1) Miami (McGahee gone? Frank Gore. Ken Dorsey gone? My grandmother throws harder. *yawn*)

2) Ohio State (Possibly no Clarett will hurt more than they like to admit. He is good at this football game.)

3) Oklahoma (I would put the stinking bastards lower were it not for my humility at their beating our asses for the last 3 years. I don't think this Oklahoma team is as strong as previous years. We shall see.)

4) Texas (We have good players.)

5) Auburn (Strong RBs make for good teams in the SEC and it is hard to pass up a healthy Carnell Williams.)

6) Kansas State (Weak schedule + good talent = high ranking!)

7) Michigan (I like the Wolverines, they always have a good squad. I like them to beat OSU and win the Big Televen)

8) Georgia (David Green and Musa Smith will continue to do very well in the SEC)

9) Florida State (This early in the game, you've got to have faith in the supreme talent.)

10) Tennessee (See Florida State)

USC is ranked too high. Palmer, McCullogh and Fargas are gone, what the hell constitutes a #8 slot? Mike Williams rules the roost but come on! Maybe one of their kick-ass RB recruits steps up early (Bush or White) but I don't know about no #8 ranking.

VaTech at #10? Please.
  • Reply 4 of 132
    i think i could see any of the top three legitimately being placed above all the rest at this point. texas wants to be there as well, and probably should be, but just can't seem to get out of OU's shadow. you pegged k-state right on the head. they have that typical weak assed schedule to go all the way to the conference championship, but i can't see them beating any of the logical winners of the south. pac 10 is so loosy goosy, no telling how that's going to shake out with as much talent that has been lost by usc and wsu.
  • Reply 5 of 132
    I always pick Texas. It is tradition.

We'll see what happens with Clarett.

Generally teams who lose their QBs don't win national championships the following season. So a pox on Oklahoma, Miami and Texas.

I think people are giving Oklahoma a bit too much benefit of the doubt. One of their two QBs in the post-Heupel era is now gone and the other one has blown his knee out two years in a row. That's a serious problem. Also, Griffin, the main offensive constant over the past three years of success is gone. Maybe things will turn out OK, but it is not too hard to imagine that their offense could be total ass.

Unless Rix or someone else plays better I think NC State or Maryland are just as likely as FSU to win the ACC.

USC, another team with a new QB, but I like their defenses returnings. And I don't see anyone else who is close. WSU was the only PAC-10 team that was close to them last year and they will be much weaker. Washington can pass but can't run for shit and couldn't stop a nun from scoring. Someone hook Belloti up with an optometrist because Oregon's DBs are all apparently blind as far as I can tell. Oregon State doesn't do much for me, Beavers though they may be. Cal will be OK but no Boller so no better than last year. Stanford will blow. UCLA needs at least a year. Arizona will be a disaster zone and Mackovic will be unemployed by Thanksgiving. ASU might surprise but still is inferior to USC. I just don't see anyone better than USC and now the Trojans are dragging all of the mad athletes to their schools as well.

The top 3 deserve those positions but I don't buy the notion that the top 3 are that much better than the other teams. Two of the three have new QBs. Ohio State gets lauded for returning their entire offense, pending Clarett, but their offense was very mediocre. They won't get the string of luck last year that carried them through many games which they could just as well have lost as well, Miami, Michigan, Wisconsin, PSU, Purdue, Illinois and Cincy IIRC. Miami still has the mad skills but let's see if they can replace all of the talent before we crown them Pimp of the Year. Let's not forget that unremarkable Pitt and FSU teams gave them tough games last year as well. Even that highly regarded team was not vastly superior to some other non-BCS opponents. Les Miles owns Bob Stoops. I don't see the seperation, the gap between all of the teams is as small as it has ever been these days.
  • Reply 6 of 132
    good points all C of D.

i don't think OSU's season will hinge too greatly on clarett. how they continue defensively will be more of an issue me thinks. defense is what carried them last year, defense is what will make or break them this year. how many starters return this season?

OU's qb situation isn't as much of a concern as you paint it. they don't have to be great to win as long as they minimize big mistakes, they'll do all right. as far the RBs go, Q will be missed, that's for sure, but both jones and works are solid replacements now that o line has figured out the whole run game thing. with depth, size, and experience, last years run production should continue unabated. besides, it wasn't for lack of offense that cost them 2 games last year, it was defensive breakdowns and the defense could be better than last. we'll see i guess. i'm fairly optimistic.

biggest knock i can see against OU and texas for that matter, is that they play in the big xii. with 3 teams in the top 10 and 3 or 4 more capable of ruining your day, the competition can be brutal to say the least.

miami, hell they just reload, much like fsu used to do in the 90's.
  • Reply 7 of 132
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    USC- Highly overrated. Idiots Carson Palmer is gone. Look at the last Decade of the Pac10 Senior QB have made the most impact. Trust me Defense or not USC will not be that much of a factor this year. Recruiting means nothing. Look at Texas

I think this year will have a Darkhorse. A Team probably in the teens right now or not even in the Top 10 that gels and takes the Crown. None of these bozo mags predicted OSU was going to win last year. It's all a crap shoot.

Quote:

USC, another team with a new QB, but I like their defenses returnings. And I don't see anyone else who is close. WSU was the only PAC-10 team that was close to them last year and they will be much weaker. Washington can pass but can't run for shit and couldn't stop a nun from scoring

Guess you missed the USC-Cal game 30-28 in the Coliseum. USC didn't hit their stride until late season. The Defense will be nice but the offense is going to be a work in progress. Washington had poor Pass Defense last year but was good against the run(#4). Shore up the DB play and we'll be fine.

I just think it's rare to win big if you don't have a proven QB.

As for OSU. We'll see how their Defense stacks up. I wouldn't pen them in the Big Game until they show more offense. Everyone will be gunning for them and Clarrett can't seem to stay away from Controversy and is overrated at that.
  • Reply 8 of 132
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Ohio State is a fraud. They damn near lost to like 3 teams last year, got a mediocre QB and an overrated bum at RB. Aug 30th will show this as I'm calling for an upset of the Bucks by the UW.

College football is hard to predict. My guess is the suprise team this year may not even be in the Top 20.

Go Dawgs!
  • Reply 9 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

College football is hard to predict. My guess is the suprise team this year may not even be in the Top 20.

Go Dawgs!

I know of a team not in the Top 20 in Texas who might surprise some people...
  • Reply 10 of 132
    x xx x Posts: 189member
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

I know of a team not in the Top 20 in Texas who might surprise some people...

Texas Tech? Just kidding. I'm guessing you're implying A&M? Is A&M in the top 20? Haven't looked.
  • Reply 11 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Ohio State is a fraud. They damn near lost to like 3 teams last year, got a mediocre QB and an overrated bum at RB. Aug 30th will show this as I'm calling for an upset of the Bucks by the UW.

Go Dawgs!

I think Miami is a fraud, too. They almost lost to 3 teams or so also. They definately were lucky with FSU last year and that botched field goal attempt.
  • Reply 12 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by X X

I think Miami is a fraud, too. They almost lost to 3 teams or so also. They definately were lucky with FSU last year and that botched field goal attempt.

as much as i hate to admit it, miami will be a top tier team again this year. every year they loose a bunch of guys to the NFL, and every year they come back strong. they may not have the team they had 2 years ago, but they just have way too much talent not to be in the mix.

it will be interesting to see how fran manages his new team in college station this season. i think you boys are in for a nut thumping for beating us last year. should be fun. see you in norman.
  • Reply 13 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by X X

Texas Tech? Just kidding. I'm guessing you're implying A&M? Is A&M in the top 20? Haven't looked.

Tech? hell no. tech's a piece of sh*t. i have absolutely no respect for that pathetic excuse for a school. no one in texas has any respect for that sh*thole...

A&M isnt ranked to start the season, but i dont mind being underdogs. it's much more fun to beat the big named schools when it isnt expected, a la OU last season.
  • Reply 14 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

as much as i hate to admit it, miami will be a top tier team again this year. every year they loose a bunch of guys to the NFL, and every year they come back strong. they may not have the team they had 2 years ago, but they just have way too much talent not to be in the mix.

it will be interesting to see how fran manages his new team in college station this season. i think you boys are in for a nut thumping for beating us last year. should be fun. see you in norman.

I agree Miami is a really good team and can go undefeated in any conference, but I also think that if they were in a better conference like the Big 12, they would have a tougher time of maintaining their undefeated record like they had until they lost to Ohio State last year. That's all.
  • Reply 15 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by X X

I agree Miami is a really good team and can go undefeated in any conference, but I also think that if they were in a better conference like the Big 12, they would have a tougher time of maintaining their undefeated record like they had until they lost to Ohio State last year. That's all.

agreed, but they had a pretty tough schedule last year. fsu, florida, vtech, pitt, bc, and tenn all in one season is not to shabby. but yeah, their conference schedule is cake.
  • Reply 16 of 132
    Quote:

Tech? hell no. tech's a piece of sh*t. i have absolutely no respect for that pathetic excuse for a school. no one in texas has any respect for that sh*thole...

A&M isnt ranked to start the season, but i dont mind being underdogs. it's much more fun to beat the big named schools when it isnt expected, a la OU last season.

Ha ha! I was joking about the Tech comment. I went to Tech and agree that it can be fun being an underdog. I wouldn't have enjoyed beating Texas had we not been the underdog.

I guess losing to an underdog has got you a pit peeved?
  • Reply 17 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by X X

Ha ha! I was joking about the Tech comment. I went to Tech and agree that it can be fun being an underdog. I wouldn't have enjoyed beating Texas had we not been the underdog.

I guess losing to an underdog has got you a pit peeved?

the only time we've lost to an underdog in the three years i've been goin to A&M is to tech, and i must say that the behavior of the tech fans as a result were quite immature. but...alas, i dont expect much from them, being a 3rd tier school and all. i wasnt surprised that we lost to tech last season at all--our team was decent, but tech's was better. and slocum is an idiot w/ an outdated strategy. this year should prove to be a shift in our team and bolster what is already the strongest conference in the nation.
  • Reply 18 of 132
    I'm eager to see (in person of course, as I'll be there) how Texas A&M fairs against Virginia Tech this year at Lane. I do recall that last year, the Hokies killed that wonderful home winning streak you guys had.

And as for all the VTech as #10 comments? Yeah, it might be a little high, but I have a feeling that this year might just be a good one. We've got two great quarterbacks, lots of returning players(all of which did well last year considering last year was a MAJOR rebuilding year with lots of young players), the Defense isn't losing too many people, and we have an excellent home schedule.

As for some of the other rankings, I think Virginia is going to be one of the premier teams in the ACC this year... I bet they do better than MD... Just a hunch.
  • Reply 19 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by chweave1

I'm eager to see (in person of course, as I'll be there) how Texas A&M fairs against Virginia Tech this year at Lane. I do recall that last year, the Hokies killed that wonderful home winning streak you guys had.

our home winning streak ended against colorado october 7th 2000 in 30 degree sleeting weather. couple that w/ a terrible hangover and being on the top row of Kyle Field, and that was a miserable game...

2000 was the last year our team was worth a damn. back when toombs was the most feared fullback in the NCAA and farris didnt suck ass the way he has the past 2 seasons.

but it'l be fun watching Reggie develop this season.

oh and btw, i believe that A&M has one of the top 3 most difficult schedules this season. lucky us, we get to play OU, TU, VTech, and OSU which are all in the top 25 of many polls, in addition to Nebraska, which some think are gonna be decent. it should be a fun season.
  • Reply 20 of 132
    Quote:

the only time we've lost to an underdog in the three years i've been goin to A&M is to tech, and i must say that the behavior of the tech fans as a result were quite immature. but...alas, i dont expect much from them, being a 3rd tier school and all. i wasnt surprised that we lost to tech last season at all--our team was decent, but tech's was better. and slocum is an idiot w/ an outdated strategy. this year should prove to be a shift in our team and bolster what is already the strongest conference in the nation.

I agree with you about their behavior after that game. I was appalled and embarrassed when I read that in the newspaper. So much so, I would have no problems in seeing you guys beat us this year.

I'm from the DFW area and Tech is attended by a lot of West Texas rednecks, and, sadly, Tech football is the only thing they have out there.

Me, personally, am just tired of people not giving Tech enough credit. Sure their defense is abyssmal, but their offense was outstanding. I was living in Austin last year when we beat Texas and I remember some radio DJs coming up with excuses about how Texas lost. The truth of the matter was Texas probably went into that game with a big head thinking their 2nd ranked pass defense would have no problems stopping Tech because all they could do was pass. Every excuse they came up with, I had a counter excuse.

I agree, you guys had a decent team, and I wasn't that excited about beating you. I personally believed both our teams were about the same and it could've gone either way. They didn't show the game down in Austin, so I was kinda following it on the internet but had to leave. I was totally shocked when I returned and saw that we came back and won.

I was happier about Texas win because I thought they were over-ranked (I thought they were at best a 10th ranked team). Also, I had a strong feeling we were going to beat Texas because of their big head, and Tech had a better team last year than they did the year before.