Broadband Wierdness

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I currently have SBC DSL. I'd like to switch, but I can't get any other service(besides sattelite) to my house. I've tried other DSL providers, but they all say that they can't reach my house, and none of the cable providers can either. What's up with this? Shouldn't they be able to get to my house, at least the DSL providers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I currently have SBC DSL. I'd like to switch, but I can't get any other service(besides sattelite) to my house. I've tried other DSL providers, but they all say that they can't reach my house, and none of the cable providers can either. What's up with this? Shouldn't they be able to get to my house, at least the DSL providers?

It all depends on where you live, and how far that is (measured along the telephone wires) from the CO (Central Office) to which you're connected. The best DSL bandwidth is only possible within one mile from the CO. DSL at any bandwidth won't reach over three miles from the CO.

DSL crams a lot of bandwidth onto an old installed base of twisted-pair copper wires that were never intended to be used for this kind of bandwidth. It's just a lucky accident that DSL works at all, even with its reach from the CO being limited.

If you want DSL, you'll just have to hope that your local telco company sees enough potential value in installing a new CO closer to where you live.

That's an expensive proposition, but perhaps not as big a deal as it might sound like it could be. Despite the terminology "Central Office", a CO isn't necessarily a big building with desks, potted plants, and a water cooler inside. It can be nothing more than a small shed or a closet rented in the back of a local Dunkin Donuts.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    But since all DSL providers use the same wires and COs, if he can get service from one shouldn't he get service from all of them?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Where do you live?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Benicia California. It's about a half hour from the Walnut Creek Apple Store.

Or, across the Benicia Bridge from Martinez/Concord, and next door to Vallejo.

Or the location of the(now) Valero Refinery, which used to be owned by Exxon, now ExxonMobil.

Solano County.

Anyways, I thought that if I could get PacBell/SBC/Yahoo/whatever it is now, I could get other providers. I'm confused.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The problem is that telcos are evil.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    I live in the North Bay as well. Comcast is running fiber optic cable all over sonoma county.Check their website for availibility in your area Couldn't hurt