Limited Capabilities Usr will Break Acrobat 6

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I work in an educational environment where I need to set up secure systems. Here's the scenario, I install all the apps needed as root, run them once as root to ensure they work. Then create a new user with full capabilities and run all the programs again. Then log back in as root and in the Accounts control panel limit the capabilities of the user to specific programs.

The instant I do this and log back in as the limited user all functionality of Acrobat is lost. The error that shows up is exactly:

"Adobe Reader could not install correctly. Adobe Reader was unable to install and must quit."

My suspicision is similar to the Office X framework error that spawns unless a you give that user permission to use another application that excel/word utilizes called "Microsfot Database Daemon."

I am hoping that the fact that Acrobat Reader is not needing permission to utilize "installer" because that would totally defeat the purpose of limitted users. Somebody please give me an answer the systems must be readied soon for deployment.

adobe, holler if you hear me... we value your products here at otis, will you value our needs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I haven't really looked to deep into the problem.... but why are you even logging into the system as root? You should create a primary user account with administrator privileges. Install the software through that user. The software is owned to that user, and owned to the group admin. Those apps should be accessible to the world, however, if the apps begin to install stuff deeper into the system, they might not be world accessible. I would run a permissions repair on the disk, RTFM, and/or call Adobe's Technical Support line.

I mean, again, I don't know. I haven't tried it with Acrobat, but I've built systems with multiple users that were not admins and that had no issues running the software.

On a related note, the best way to get Adobe's attention is to actually contact their technical support department. AI isn't really a message board they frequent, actively seeking technical support issues to solve.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Did you make two threads about the same thing, just worded differently?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

I haven't really looked to deep into the problem.... but why are you even logging into the system as root? You should create a primary user account with administrator privileges. Install the software through that user. The software is owned to that user, and owned to the group admin. Those apps should be accessible to the world, however, if the apps begin to install stuff deeper into the system, they might not be world accessible. I would run a permissions repair on the disk, RTFM, and/or call Adobe's Technical Support line.

I mean, again, I don't know. I haven't tried it with Acrobat, but I've built systems with multiple users that were not admins and that had no issues running the software.

On a related note, the best way to get Adobe's attention is to actually contact their technical support department. AI isn't really a message board they frequent, actively seeking technical support issues to solve.

root: the root of the problem, dammit. I typically never login to the gui as root, the only time I ever do is through terminal when I know exactly what I want to edit.

allow me to explain my reasoning; read on if you care... if your planing on flaming me in how much of an idiot I am for taking someoneones advice well I can but encourage you to waste some keystrokes.

I started installing all apps as root as soon as office gave me framework X errors. Furthermore I did this through recommendation through what one of the lab admins over at Berkeley mentioned (although he did say don't take my word on it--I guess I should have). Thirdly, I have a bunch of labtechs which I don't want installing/editing a bunch of -ish who login as the "admin" user.

LoCash, my question is WTFM? A manual can only do so much for you, thats why you go by other things you can and can't trust like word of mouth; what someone remembers; and forums like these which I thank you for your contribution on. I hit as many places as I can "without" trying to be an annoyance, and "trying" to be as clear as possible in my postings. I do my share and try to hit up as many questions as I can concisely answer as well.

thank you
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Hey man, I don't recall trying to flame you or attack you. I'm just not familiar with the issues you brought up, so I've fallen back on my knowledge of working with a UNIX box; trying to help.

I am unfamiliar with the office issue you mention; I've never experienced that, and I have accounts on my box that do not have administrator privileges.

I'm not really sure what to say, I'm not trying to hammer you for posting here, but I do think it would be prudent to fire up Adobe's 800 number and ask them for some support. Just put them on speakerphone while you hold.

Maybe Brad or someone else around here has a good idea, but my advice is to fire up the phone to Adobe.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

... I do think it would be prudent to fire up Adobe's 800 number and ask them for some support...

I agree with you about this one.

Heh, I like talking to tech support people...espcially the mac only ones always seem nicer. Not sure why, just kinda soothing to hear their clam voices going over stuff with you. I've always enjoyed hearing calm collected voices going over stuff I don't know. I enjoy listening to teachers alot of the time, haha I would just like to lay my head down and go to sleep, not because they are boring either.

(No I've never made up problems and called for no reason)
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

(No I've never made up problems and called for no reason)

yeah sure,... I know your kind, you one of them audio voyuers that likes to listen to female tech support on the other line. (j/k)

thanks ppl
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dark Seraph

yeah sure,... I know your kind, you one of them audio voyuers that likes to listen to female tech support on the other line. (j/k)

thanks ppl

Haha...no I enjoy male voices the same.

...man that sounds bad

Eh, I'm a simple person though, I am soothed by my fan running in my room.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    my goal isn't to keep this thread at the top of the post, it really isn't...

as a matter of fact I hope to never have to visit it in the near future...

But whats happened has happened, installed all apps as admin and created a second user, din't limit capabilities but am not giving them admin privileges. Acrobat broke still...

I'm going to try and get on the phone with Acrobat therapy, if anyone finds an resolution to this email me at [email protected]

I'm rather depressed and frusterated after fighting with this and I don't want to annoy anyone, I won't be back here until I find an answer on how to get this to work with multiple users. Something is telling me that its because of byhost, but I don't know since I have been using the same bloody mac to create the system, image and then upload and bring right back down and restore as an asr image.

till later,

r a j a
  • Reply 9 of 11
    did you call adobe?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I believe "Acrobat Therapy" implied "Adobe Tech Support". Hopefully they'll be able to help him. Sounds like quite a strange issue to me.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Did you repair permissions?

adding a whack of stuff may leave detritus from sloppy installers

even system level stuff and security updates from software update often need permission repair

apple tech notes mention that some of the 'reported fixes' are erroneous flags, but it does fix things

Disk Utility > Disk First Aid (tab) > select drive icon > click "Repair Permissions" >go for coffee