Need Quick maths help!!!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A simple maths question,

I have a cylinder 58cm x 80cm which I fill with water, how much does the water weigh. In Metric units preferably!

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anna Mated

A simple maths question,

I have a cylinder 58cm x 80cm which I fill with water, how much does the water weigh. In Metric units preferably!

Thanks

1) Is the water distilled deionized? (ie lacking any solutes?)

2) Weight of water = (Density of water)*Volume

3) Volume of cylinder = (pi*r^2)*h (with units of cubic centimeters)

4) Density of water = 1.0 g/cc (mL)

5) I cant calculate the weight because I dont know which number is the diameter (or radius) of the cylinder...

6) why cant you just weigh the cylinder, weigh the cylinder with the water and subtract the weight of the cylinder to get the weight of the water?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    pi (3.14...) x r² gives the area of the circle (r = radius = half the diameter)

The area of the circle x the height gives the volume of the cylinder.

If you use centimeters, the volume will be in cubic centimetres.

One litre = 1,000 cubic centimetres = 1 kilogram in weight.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

pi (3.14...) x r² gives the area of the circle (r = radius = half the diameter)

The area of the circle x the height gives the volume of the cylinder.

If you use centimeters, the volume will be in cubic centimetres.

One litre = 1,000 cubic centimetres = 1 kilogram in weight.

Good answer, but AO is not a place to do school work at the place of a student. More likely if the problem is that simple. The answer should have been found in nearly encyclopedia.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Weight of water != density (g/(cm^3)) x volume (cm^3). that would be mass (you can test that with the units: g x cm^3/cm^3=g; g=grams, cm=centimeters)

Weight relative to mass: W=mass (g) x Speed of Gravity at certain height (for most heights, its ~10 mtrs/(s^2); mtrs=meters, s=seconds). but, Anna Mated probably meant mass when s/he asked for weight, so the other posters answers are correct. remember, grams aren't weight, they are mass. newtons (kg x m/(s^2)) are weight in the SI system.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

Speed of Gravity at certain height (for most heights, its ~10 mtrs/(s^2); mtrs=meters, s=seconds).

Uh, the speed of gravity is c
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dale Sorel

Uh, the speed of gravity is c

c is the speed of light (as in E=mc^2). i've seen gravity as 'G', but it always seemed informal.

(i'm such a bitch)

edit: i mean VELOCITY of light.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

c is the speed of light ...

Uh, it is also the speed of gravity
  • Reply 8 of 16
    gravity actually has no speed as yet. The particles that make up gravity are theoretical.

According to einstein no particle can accelerate to the speed of c without being massless and as far as i remember the theoretical particles that produce the gravitational effect do not have zero mass.

feel free to correct me, it's been a while since i got my degree in physics!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anna Mated

A simple maths question,

Thanks

If 58 is the radius and 80 the height (which would make a small barrel) the the answer is 211,36635376112 kg. But only if Einstein was right regarding the speed of light.

What you gonna do Powerdoc? Ban me?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by david101

gravity actually has no speed as yet. The particles that make up gravity are theoretical.

According to einstein no particle can accelerate to the speed of c without being massless and as far as i remember the theoretical particles that produce the gravitational effect do not have zero mass.

feel free to correct me, it's been a while since i got my degree in physics!

Actually, there has been recent evidence that gravity does in fact move at the speed of light, based on some astronomical observations. Einstein actually predicted this result.

As for thuh freak, common parlance also calls into question your "speed of gravity". Do you mean the acceleration due to gravity near the surface of earth? :P
  • Reply 11 of 16
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    double post ick
  • Reply 12 of 16
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    42 (brought to you by Deep Thought)
  • Reply 13 of 16
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Well, from what I remember, g is used to signify the rate of acceleration due to gravity (ie, 9.8m/s^2), and G is used to signify the gravitational constant (which is a number that I can't remember right now)

edit: and c is the speed of light.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

As for thuh freak, common parlance also calls into question your "speed of gravity". Do you mean the acceleration due to gravity near the surface of earth? :P

while i was writing it, it didnt feel right, but i couldn't think of the right wrod. the units kept staring back at me (s^2). i did mean the acceleration due to gravity near sea level. partial credit i suppose. doenke.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by david101

According to some, gravity is theoretical \

Quote:

Well, if the particles are theoretical then I would say they could be without mass

Oh, and my knowledge of the speed of gravity came from reading one of Stephen Hawking's books. So the speed has been determined to some measure

One thing's for sure, the speed of gravity is not infinite
  • Reply 16 of 16
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    The speed of gravity is thought to be aound C, but whether or not it has been measured is a matter of some controversy, and no, gravitons have not been found yet.