Can Issa be pre-emptively recalled?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I'm an independent who doesn't live in California, but I love irony. I'm wondering if by California law people could actually prepare a recall of Issa before he's elected governor. I'm not saying Issa is a clear favorite, but as the backer of the recall, this would be the most ironic strategy to thwart his campaign.

Imagine if democrats got 900,000 signatures to Recall Issa if he were to be elected governor. Even if it weren't valid, the prospect of enduring another recall election would cause most voters to shy away from him.

The potential for lunacy in this "election" is staggering!

Also, does anyone know if the ballot is going to be constructed in such a way that someone can vote against the recall, but still select a candidate in case the recall goes through or do only recall supporters get their selection counted?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    california is slipping into an ocean, however it's not the pacific.it's the ocean of idiocy. this is going to be the biggest freak show ever in state politics. and i oughta know i'm from illinois.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

Ok, I'm an independent who doesn't live in California, but I love irony. I'm wondering if by California law people could actually prepare a recall of Issa before he's elected governor. I'm not saying Issa is a clear favorite, but as the backer of the recall, this would be the most ironic strategy to thwart his campaign.

Imagine if democrats got 900,000 signatures to Recall Issa if he were to be elected governor. Even if it weren't valid, the prospect of enduring another recall election would cause most voters to shy away from him.

The potential for lunacy in this "election" is staggering!

Also, does anyone know if the ballot is going to be constructed in such a way that someone can vote against the recall, but still select a candidate in case the recall goes through or do only recall supporters get their selection counted?

Except in the Issa case we don't have to imagine it. The signatures were there and not just 900,000 over 1.6 million were turned in.

As for thwarting a campaign, wouldn't it just be easier not to vote for the guy?

The recall isn't just about Republicans. It is about a governor who sold out the entire state, takes loads of cash and then mysteriously has legislation related to it sign, go through, etc. It is also about a man who has lied about the deficit while continuing to drive it up. He even dumped 10 million dollars of negative ads into the REPUBLICAN primary to defeat Riordan by outright lying about his record. (Riordan is clearly pro-choice Davis lied and said he is pro-life)

The guy is a scumbag and Democrats should write him off.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Except in the Issa case we don't have to imagine it. The signatures were there and not just 900,000 over 1.6 million were turned in.

As for thwarting a campaign, wouldn't it just be easier not to vote for the guy?

I'm pretty sure there are more than 1.6 million democrats in California, correct me if I'm wrong. Regardless, your missing the point that this is not about justification it's about tactics. By all justification Gore should be president (bottom line, more people voted for him), but Bush won based on tactics in exploiting the system (thwarting recounts, including uncertified military absentee ballots, etc). I'm not arguing justification, I'm talking tactics!

If the simple rule is 900K + signatures and you can remove a governor, then why not start a recall on Issa if your a Davis supporter or simply don't like Issa? The big question here is whether you can do it pre-emporily.

Actually, on some level I like the notion of an anti-vote. It's not as good as a ranking system (pick your first choice, your second choice, your third...) or an instant run-off, but it has an appeal. I, for instance, never vote pro-democrat, just anti-republican.

But back to the point... If you could pre-recall Issa with 900,000 signatures you would virtually garauntee his defeat in an election. Even if you legally couldn't, just the demonstration of enough people willing to mount a recall against him would doom his campaign. In the current politcal climate, turn-a-bout is fair play.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    The recall is the dumbest thing to ever happen in California.

1) Lazy bastards who didn't vote in the last election shouldn't be able to undo the decisions of those that actually voted.

2) I see the potential of a recall election every year. How hard is it to get 900,000 signatures?
  • Reply 5 of 32
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

The recall is the dumbest thing to ever happen in California.

1) Lazy bastards who didn't vote in the last election shouldn't be able to undo the decisions of those that actually voted.

2) I see the potential of a recall election every year. How hard is it to get 900,000 signatures?

I completely, wholeheartedly, 100% agree with everything you just said in this post.

I guarantee that if the recall is successfull, then there will be another recall drive next summer. But hey, I can pay for it with increased fees that the University of California is charging me. Woohoo!
  • Reply 6 of 32
    longhornlonghorn Posts: 147member
    It's not so much as hard to get 900,000 votes as it is expensive.

Then to top that off the sitting govenor would have to have really poor ratings to make it worthwhile. After all that's done, recalling to often will just get the voters to resent you. Nobody likes listening to stupid campaigns, (unless it's the terminator)
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:

But back to the point... If you could pre-recall Issa with 900,000 signatures you would virtually garauntee his defeat in an election. Even if you legally couldn't, just the demonstration of enough people willing to mount a recall against him would doom his campaign. In the current politcal climate, turn-a-bout is fair play.

900,000 signatures from his district would do that but that's an awfully high hurdle. It would never happen. And 900,000 signatures from across the state would probably create a backlash within his district against the vindictive outsiders. It would strengthen his support.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

900,000 signatures from his district would do that but that's an awfully high hurdle. It would never happen. And 900,000 signatures from across the state would probably create a backlash within his district against the vindictive outsiders. It would strengthen his support.

No, no. I don't mean to recall him as a Congressman. I mean what if you recalled him as a governor BEFORE he became the governor.

I imagine a petition that says "Do you support a recall election of Darrell Issa if he is voted to replace Gray Davis as governor" or maybe simply "Do you support a recall election of Governor Darrell Issa during the year of 2003" or something like that.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:

No, no. I don't mean to recall him as a Congressman. I mean what if you recalled him as a governor BEFORE he became the governor...

Issa won't win the governor's race. Even if he did, you'd still look vindictive. Gray Davis at least had a chance to turn the state around.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    Here's the thing I don't understand:

1. There's little chance Davis will survive the recall

2. He must know this.

3. He's a democrat. Hence, he should want

a democrat to replace him.

4. The Lieutenant Gov. is a democrat (Right?).

Knowing nothing about California law, wouldn't it be better for Davis to resign, thus mooting the recall and making Cruz Bustamonte Governor? Does resignation of the governor make the Lt. Governor acting Governor only?

Anybody have the answer?

Thoth
  • Reply 11 of 32
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thoth2

Here's the thing I don't understand:

1. There's little chance Davis will survive the recall

2. He must know this.

3. He's a democrat. Hence, he should want

a democrat to replace him.

4. The Lieutenant Gov. is a democrat (Right?).

Knowing nothing about California law, wouldn't it be better for Davis to resign, thus mooting the recall and making Cruz Bustamonte Governor? Does resignation of the governor make the Lt. Governor acting Governor only?

Anybody have the answer?

Thoth

That is correct on all counts. But there are mitagating factors or should I say litagating:

1. They are hoping the courts will provide them relief that will buy them time to try to win the hearts of the electorate.

2. Davis and Bustamente hate each other. I would imagine Davis would rather eat glass then give the position to Cruz.

3. The backlash for playing tricks might hurt the Dems in the long run. That kinda poison pill is of the atom bomb variety. The Repellentcans did not win one major office last election. The Dems are in fair shape to fight this battle. Maybe as we get closer to the recall date the landscape could change greatly.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Issa won't win the governor's race. Even if he did, you'd still look vindictive. Gray Davis at least had a chance to turn the state around.

Hilarious I saw him weeping on CNN. All that car alarm money up in smoke. Heh heh.

I'm not a Democrat, but I lurv when egotistical gits crumble by their own weight or actions.

Screed ...Governor Schwarzenegger... hoo-boy, buckle up!
  • Reply 13 of 32
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Well seems like some of you got your wish..

SAN DIEGO - The millionaire congressman who largely funded the effort to recall Gov. Gray Davis abruptly pulled out of the race to replace him Thursday, a day after actor Arnold Schwarzenegger jumped in.

\t

Republican Rep. Darrell Issa, who made his fortune selling car alarms and pumped $1.7 million of his own money into the recall effort, announced he would not run in a tearful news conference.

© 2003

$1.7 million, I'd be tearful too.

Nick
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

$1.7 million, I'd be tearful too.

He's made history though.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

He's made history though.

you would make history if you blew yourself up with 1.7 million as well...
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

you would make history if you blew yourself up with 1.7 million as well...

Plenty of lottery winners have done that and you never heard of them.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Plenty of lottery winners have done that and you never heard of them.

and somehow you have? ;-)
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

and somehow you have? ;-)

Stories pop up in the news from time to time. I don't remember any names and neither does anyone else.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

I imagine a petition that says "Do you support a recall election of Darrell Issa if he is voted to replace Gray Davis as governor" or maybe simply "Do you support a recall election of Governor Darrell Issa during the year of 2003" or something like that.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. IT would take 900,000 signatures, plus 50% of the vote to have him recalled... why not spend that money trying to get another candidate to win.... surely the 20-30% that will be required to win this election would be much easier to come by.

By the way - you would be able to file the petition against someone who isn't already the governor... the CA constitution doesn't provide for that idiocy
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

That is correct on all counts. But there are mitagating factors or should I say litagating:

1. They are hoping the courts will provide them relief that will buy them time to try to win the hearts of the electorate.

2. Davis and Bustamente hate each other. I would imagine Davis would rather eat glass then give the position to Cruz.

3. The backlash for playing tricks might hurt the Dems in the long run. That kinda poison pill is of the atom bomb variety. The Repellentcans did not win one major office last election. The Dems are in fair shape to fight this battle. Maybe as we get closer to the recall date the landscape could change greatly.

It's even simpler than that... there is "technically" no need for the replacement vote since according to the constitution of CA, if Davis is removed, the LT Gov would automatically become governor should he decide the election not be needed. He's already decided against that option