Indesign 2.0 or newer

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm new to this forum so forgive me

if this has been discussed already.

I have to stragetically plan purchases of Indesign

2.0 because we aren't ready to change our group up to MAC OSX yet. I heard Indesign's new version would not be compatible with OS 9.2.2.

Is anyone aware of the release date of the new Indesign version?

I am the tech support person in my group of seven Mac users. I'm also a Graphic Designer so I function in two jobs. I'm pretty overwhelmed with the new software

versions coming out and I'm never certain when

versions will be obsolete.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by flemcam

Is anyone aware of the release date of the new Indesign version?

I am the tech support person in my group of seven Mac users. I'm also a Graphic Designer so I function in two jobs. I'm pretty overwhelmed with the new software

versions coming out and I'm never certain when

versions will be obsolete.

Thanks.

we should definitely get in touch, tech support/graphic designer is my exact field. I'm a technical manager for systems at an educational institution with a graphic design degree freelancing the night away.

please do drop me a msg!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dark Seraph

we should definitely get in touch, tech support/graphic designer is my exact field. I'm a technical manager for systems at an educational institution with a graphic design degree freelancing the night away.

please do drop me a msg!

I don't have much to say at this time. I'm in the through's of my busy season. Like I mentioned all the changes and MacOSX are really taxing my brain and my department.

Is there anything specific you would like to discuss?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    If I remember correctly, it seems Adobe released a statement recently about, from this point on, developing only for OS X. I suppose you could take that to mean that the next version of InDesign (major version, as in InDesign 3.0) will be OS X only.

That's what I'd assume. Did I imagine that statement or was it on Maccentral a while back?

I could've sworn I read that, within the past couple of months. I believe the upcoming Photoshop 8 might be OS X-only.

It'll take big, strong steps like this to move things forward. It's akin to Apple saying - with the original iMac - "bye bye floppy drive and hello USB...". Imagine, if you will, how different things would be had Apple took a timid, piecemeal approach to phasing out the floppy and adopting USB and FireWire as nice, modern, hassle-free, hot-swappable I/O.

No, I don't want a floppy drive, SCSI and ADB on my iMac, thank you. But that's exactly what we'd still have today had Apple not thrown down the gauntlet and made a clear, clean break and said "THIS is where we're going...". And one-by-one, all the other hardware followed its lead.

Same with Adobe and others. At some point, you gotta say "okay, we're supporting the Mac...and by that, we mean OS X".

Diehard Macheads will go with the platform, and if all the major apps are OS X-only, then they'll have to go with OS X themselves. Circle of life.

• Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

If I remember correctly, it seems Adobe released a statement recently about, from this point on, developing only for OS X. I suppose you could take that to mean that the next version of InDesign (major version, as in InDesign 3.0) will be OS X only.

That's what I'd assume. Did I imagine that statement or was it on Maccentral a while back?

I could've sworn I read that, within the past couple of months. I believe the upcoming Photoshop 8 might be OS X-only.

It'll take big, strong steps like this to move things forward. It's akin to Apple saying - with the original iMac - "bye bye floppy drive and hello USB...". Imagine, if you will, how different things would be had Apple took a timid, piecemeal approach to phasing out the floppy and adopting USB and FireWire as nice, modern, hassle-free, hot-swappable I/O.

No, I don't want a floppy drive, SCSI and ADB on my iMac, thank you. But that's exactly what we'd still have today had Apple not thrown down the gauntlet and made a clear, clean break and said "THIS is where we're going...". And one-by-one, all the other hardware followed its lead.

Same with Adobe and others. At some point, you gotta say "okay, we're supporting the Mac...and by that, we mean OS X".

Diehard Macheads will go with the platform, and if all the major apps are OS X-only, then they'll have to go with OS X themselves. Circle of life.

Thanks for your feedback. If I implied I didn't approve of the Mac OSX transition- this is not true.

It's difficult in a business environment to plan when the big wigs of the company (mine) don't want to give you the money or understand why you have to re-purchase software for a new operating system. Not to mention the continual diatribe about - 'why does your department need Macs anyway" comments.

This is my reality and I know this is the reality for many other designers like me within companies.

If you recall when Apple eliminated the floppy they replaced it with a internal Zip drive. This change was about storage space and disk stability. So the floppy drive eliminiation didn't incapacitate the user - it forced the user to buy $20 zip disks for storage. I think we all were very happy about this change.

For the record, I am a diehard Machead. I will always love the Mac. I don't always agree with the Marketing strageties and I don't always purchase the first version of a software package or an operating system. I like to wait until others work out the bugs etc.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    You, my friend, need to do the following...

Purchase Indesign 2 - You will need it and it's not worth it to wait. It's like people waiting for new mac 6 months from release. InDesign 2 recently came out and its the best design app on the market, no doubt. It kicks Quarks buttocks. OSX only though, but it will import Quark files from previous versiona dna does a good job of converting them.

Get NetOctopus - It will allow you to take updates and distribute them to other machines, once they restart the app they will be fully updated. Very easy to use and a great tool to make your job easier. Consider getting Timbuktu as well if you need more management options.

Thats all you need.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shanksta

You, my friend, need to do the following...

Purchase Indesign 2 - You will need it and it's not worth it to wait. It's like people waiting for new mac 6 months from release. InDesign 2 recently came out and its the best design app on the market, no doubt. It kicks Quarks buttocks. OSX only though, but it will import Quark files from previous versiona dna does a good job of converting them.

Get NetOctopus - It will allow you to take updates and distribute them to other machines, once they restart the app they will be fully updated. Very easy to use and a great tool to make your job easier. Consider getting Timbuktu as well if you need more management options.

Thats all you need.

Thanks! This is the kind of info I am looking for.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Whoa. Microsoft-Watch.com has just posted a story on the upcoming InDesign 3.0, and it certainly looks like a must have upgrade.

Here's the link.

My personal favorites: As a Pagemaker vet, I applaud the return of the Story Editor and the Control Palette, and the Package-for-GoLive feature sounds incredibly cool!

I still say they need to release an InDesign Elements package in the $99-$149 category to fully "own" the DTP market, but I think ID3 makes a lot of headway in this regard.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I would purchase at least one copy of InDesign 2 and familiarize yourself with the application. (You can also download and test-drive from Adobe's website a fully operational Indy that runs for 30 days.) If you can wait and/or you're looking to save money, hold off until InDesign 3 is released this fall.

I've also heard rumors that all of Adobe's next major upgrades (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) will run on OS X only -- though it's not impossible that Adobe will keep InDesign 3 running on OS 9 to make it as easy as possible to lure over dissatisfied Quark users.

Guess we'll see.

p.s. InDesign 3 looks great. Can't wait.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

I would purchase at least one copy of InDesign 2 and familiarize yourself with the application. (You can also download and test-drive from Adobe's website a fully operational Indy that runs for 30 days.) If you can wait and/or you're looking to save money, hold off until InDesign 3 is released this fall.

I've also heard rumors that all of Adobe's next major upgrades (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) will run on OS X only -- though it's not impossible that Adobe will keep InDesign 3 running on OS 9 to make it as easy as possible to lure over dissatisfied Quark users.

Guess we'll see.

p.s. InDesign 3 looks great. Can't wait.

Thanks to you. Thanks to all the comments I've received so far. I know InDesign will be great. We will be moving from Pagemaker 7.0 (I'm a thirteen year veteran of Pagemaker) . I'm not worried about InDesign 2.0 or 3.0.

I'm planning for the department to remain on 9.2 for at least one more year. Our group of 9 users- aren't all OSX compatible at this time. We have to purchase a few new Macs etc. If I could jump up to MacOSX in a snap I would. I was hoping there would be others out there who are in a similar predicament. Apparently, there are not that many. Once again feeling as though I am behind the technology times.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by flemcam

I'm planning for the department to remain on 9.2 for at least one more year. Our group of 9 users- aren't all OSX compatible at this time. We have to purchase a few new Macs etc. If I could jump up to MacOSX in a snap I would. I was hoping there would be others out there who are in a similar predicament. Apparently, there are not that many. Once again feeling as though I am behind the technology times.

People at these forums tend to be a bit ahead of the curve (or just up to speed). I'm sure there a large number of people in your position. I think it's definitely smart to wait until your machines can handle OS X before making the switch. You may wish to reevaluate when 10.3 (Panther) is released this fall, which supposedly speeds up OS X considerably on older machines.

InDesign is excellent, but it's feature set makes it more demanding than Pagemaker or Quark, so it's definitely a good idea test it out before deploying. Personally, I'd recommend a G4 and/or a good amount of RAM for comfortable use.

You may find more people still using OS 9 at the MacFixit forums. There's also this thread.

Good luck!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    If you decided to make the switch to InDesign 2 now it would work in Classic. Adobe has a Adobe InDesign 2.0 PageMaker upgrade for $299.00. I too remember a statement or rumor that Adobe's next version of their applications would be OS X only. You could continue to operate Mac OS 9.2 and PageMaker 7, making the switch to InDesign 3 when you make the switch to Mac OS X 10.3. If your department is producing your product fine with PageMaker and you see no advantage to InDesign other than OS X compatibility the I see no reason to upgrade now.

You have two options:

Option 1: Stay with Mac OS 9.2.X and continue using PageMaker 7. Followed by switching to Mac OS X 10.3 and also switching to InDesign 3 in the future. Imediate Cost: Cost: $0.00. Future Cost $3,010. Total Cost: $3,010.

Option 2: Stay with Mac OS 9.2.X, but switch to InDesign 2 now. Followed by upgrading to Mac OS X 10.3 and upgrading to InDesign 3 in the future. Imediate Cost: $2,100. Future Cost: $1960. Total Cost: $4060.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Thanks for the link on ID3. I've been advising our in-house designer to stick with OS 9 until 10.3 is out. I think OS10.3 and (ID3 or Quark6) will finally be a good combination on his QS 800.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

If you decided to make the switch to InDesign 2 now it would work in Classic. Adobe has a Adobe InDesign 2.0 PageMaker upgrade for $299.00. I too remember a statement or rumor that Adobe's next version of their applications would be OS X only. You could continue to operate Mac OS 9.2 and PageMaker 7, making the switch to InDesign 3 when you make the switch to Mac OS X 10.3. If your department is producing your product fine with PageMaker and you see no advantage to InDesign other than OS X compatibility the I see no reason to upgrade now.

Thanks very much. There is one other reason I am looking to purchase ID 2.0 now instead of waiting until we upgrade to OSX we'll be paying the upgrade from PGM7.0 price as opposed to the full version price.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Flemcam,

Does your company have a relationship with an Apple Consultant currently?

There are a couple in the Tallahassee area and the value of their planning expertise would be worth it to calm the effects of planning a move to OS X/ID 3. ID 3 is alleged to be shipping within 6 months, but who knows.

If you don't have a local consultant (or not one you like), I'd be glad to visit. Tallahassee is only 2-3 hours away from me.

I've been on the prepress side of things since 1994, and have done design in Quark, ID, Illustrator, PS, etc for a living in the newspaper business. I'm also one of the most experienced in the southeast at creating PDF workflows (from Quark and/or ID). Been doing that since 1996.

Check the consultants.apple.com website for a local person, or email me: johncorbin at mac dot com

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Internal Zip drives never came in anything other than some G4 towers...