Making /usr/local/ visible ?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Im making applications in Tomcat, and have placed all my files inside the usr/local/*tomcat_home*/webapps/myApp folder, but is there anyway to make that directory visible in OS X ? I'd like to have an alias on the desktop/dock that lets me open the folder and browse it.

Is this possible with Jaguar v. 10.2.6 ?

Thanks,

.:BoeManE:.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    You can always just type /usr/local/ into the Go to Folder dialog in the Finder" If you want an alias of the "myApp" folder, just type "usr/local/*tomcat_home*/webapps" in the Go to Folder dialog, and command+option drag the folder to the desktop.

You can also just make invisible files visible using TinkerTool or Cocktail, but that isn't specific to /usr/local/.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    In the top level of your hard drive (where that folder is located), there is an invisible file names ".hidden" which is literally just a list of the files and folders in that directory that will not be visible. Open this file (using the terminal or similar means to access invisible files) in TextEdit or pico or vi or some other simple text editor. Remove the line for "usr", save, logout, and login.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

You can always just type /usr/local/ into the Go to Folder dialog in the Finder" If you want an alias of the "myApp" folder, just type "usr/local/*tomcat_home*/webapps" in the Go to Folder dialog, and command+option drag the folder to the desktop.

Thanks! That did the trick.

.:BoeManE:.