CRT or Flat Panel?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hi everybody

i'm just about to buy a G4 dual 1.25. I can't make up my mind between a 19" CRT or a Formac 17" flat panel. I've never owned a flat panel before, and work mostly in photoshop. Any advice?

thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    flat panel. flat panel.. IBM ??? (in before move... har har)
  • Reply 2 of 48
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Right, this should be in GD...

But, as far as monitors go, I'm a bit of a resolution hog. Anything under 1600x1200 doesn't cut it for me, and any FP in that range is wicked expensive. So, my monitor of choice (for now) is the LaCie 19"CRT.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    ah, 709. sorry - you're absolutely right. I wasn't thinking there. but, since i don't actually own the monitor yet, maybe it counts as future hardware

no seriously, you're right.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    LCD

More expensive than CRT

Wastes a lot less electricity (in long term you save money)

Not as hot as CRT (imagine in summer time)

No flickers (You won't have eye strains and even headaches)

Takes lots less desk space (So you can have both your tower and display on the desk and even still have some space left for your other stuff )

Oh...make sure the response time is fast otherwise you will see ghosting a lot when playing video or games
  • Reply 5 of 48
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    you also have to realize that the refresh rate of the flat screen is often a lot slower than that of an lcd which might not mean anything to you but when doing 3-D work matters a lot...
  • Reply 6 of 48
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    If you spend a lot of time staring at the computer get an LCD, otherwise, for short-term viewing I'd stick to a CRT if price was a consideration.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Hmm complicated question :

Assuming that your main problem is photoshop, your main concern will be the respect of the colors. The remanency of the screen won't be a big deal for you : it's important for 3D gamers or DVD video player, but not for photoshop. LCD screen have a better luminosity than CRT, but the contrast is lower.

The 19 inch CRT from the company is certainly good, but i wonder how perform the photovision 18 inch. I have ordered a photovision 20 inch, but i will not recieve it until september. I will compare it with my sony F500, and i will be able to talk about his quality.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    For pro graphics, a CRT is definitely best. LCDs have a way to go before they offer the color depth and fidelity of a good CRT. For general use, an LCD is fine and Apple's 20" Cinema is about the best.

BTW, my consulting company has been helping pro graphics artists since 1987 and just about all of my clients use CRTs for Photoshop and for pro video work. An LCD is OK as a second display for all the palettes.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

For pro graphics, a CRT is definitely best. LCDs have a way to go before they offer the color depth and fidelity of a good CRT. For general use, an LCD is fine and Apple's 20" Cinema is about the best.

BTW, my consulting company has been helping pro graphics artists since 1987 and just about all of my clients use CRTs for Photoshop and for pro video work. An LCD is OK as a second display for all the palettes.

What Rolo said. (ie: I make my living off print & video design)
  • Reply 10 of 48
    matt31matt31 Posts: 14member
    Hi!

What kind of work do you do in PSD? If you do hi-end color correction, desing books, photoretoching and this kind of work were color is very important I will choose a CRT. If you create and desing web pages were color is almost predected by HEX color values it will be find to buy a LCD.

Good Luck

Matt
  • Reply 11 of 48
    thanks folks. really useful information
  • Reply 12 of 48
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    What I'm going to do with my G5 is use my 17" Applevision CRT for color, and my main LCD for everything else.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

What I'm going to do with my G5 is use my 17" Applevision CRT for color, and my main LCD for everything else.

Good idea. If I get a G5, I'll use it with my 21" ASD but may also get a new 20" Cinema if a new one comes out that goes with the G5. What's the best color for a desk chair? I was looking at some today and I'm thinking black would go well with the new equipment.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I have a 17" flat panel at work and it really makes me miss my 19" LaCie monitor at home. Best computer upgrade I've made. Software development on a 17" monitor of any kind isn't fun. \
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Games, Graphics CRT,

Office, home internet, LCD
  • Reply 16 of 48
    I say if money is not an issue, go for the LCD. If it is an issue, go for the CRT. You can get some of the BEST CRTs that have ever been made now for the money of a midrange LCD.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Why is this in Future Hardware?
  • Reply 18 of 48
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Right, this should be in GD...

But, as far as monitors go, I'm a bit of a resolution hog. Anything under 1600x1200 doesn't cut it for me, and any FP in that range is wicked expensive. So, my monitor of choice (for now) is the LaCie 19"CRT.

I agree completely. I too am a 1600 x 1200 kind of guy. These days even a brand X flat CRT for $149 is better than the over priced flat panels with lower resolution.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    ... that's interesting, in my old age and after having an LCD for a couple of years I find looking at a CRT hurts my eyes after a couple of hours. To me it all depends how many hours a day you look at the screen. 8 to 12 hours a day in AI/PS/PovRay/Excel/Word/etc kills me on a CRT anymore.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Why is this in Future Hardware?

Wow. That was just really helpful. Maybe if you read some of the above posts as well as the original poster read the posting guide lines I would not be pointing out how much of an idiot you are. Thanks for wasting our time.

Now, on to the topic at hand. I strongly prefer CRT displays. Don`t listen to that nonsense about getting a headache. With the radeon 9800 running at a refresh rate of 200Hz a second I do not believe thats going to be a problem. An LCD is only going to run at 60Hz but that tends not to be a problem because it refreshes each pixel individually instead of one LPI at a time.

I say go with the CRT. I love em. And in your case your getting a couple more inches too.