Where did Apple's "jungle" theme come from?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
First there was Jaguar, then Safari, and now Panther. Even Rendevous has a bit of an adventure Indiana Jones ring to it.

Don't get me wrong, it's okay (I'm tired of "i" named apps), but was there some reason behind this direction in theming? Did Jobs' just come back from the Serengeti?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Yeah who thinks up this stuff. I love it. But more importantly, who came up with the idea for the iPod, the new iMac, the G5. The iPod...so simple, yet so amazing...and so popular. Where did Jon Ive an Steve Jobs come up with this stuff, what inspires them to make the things they make, and name the things the name? It's truly amazing if you think about it.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Jungle theme must have come from, the jungle, J/K. That's a really good question. Did any off the Board go on a vacation to a jungle or rainforest.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Well what about Cheetah, and Puma (10 and 10.1) you forgot those
  • Reply 4 of 17
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    No he didn't. Those are not jungle cats.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

No he didn't. Those are not jungle cats.

neither is panther... so who's counting?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    It isn't a jungle theme, it is Apple's wild side
  • Reply 7 of 17
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i look forward to the day when they run out of names for the big cats and have to name os 10.7 "fluffy the housecat"
  • Reply 8 of 17
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    "Ah the stately puma, principle of the hills"
  • Reply 9 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Safaris generally take place in eastern sub-Saharan Africa, where there aren't much in the way of jungles. Mostly tall grass and desert.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i look forward to the day when they run out of names for the big cats and have to name os 10.7 "fluffy the housecat"

I'm still waiting for "Bill," and the bugfix update, "Hairball."

Ack thbtt!

(Pointless trivia: I've met the guy who inspired Bill the Cat. He liked the band I was in at the time.)
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Safaris generally take place in eastern sub-Saharan Africa, where there aren't much in the way of jungles. Mostly tall grass and desert.

Someone looked safari up in a dictionary as well
  • Reply 12 of 17
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Jungle is better than Microsoft's theme of barnyard animals (Longhorn). Cows just stand there chewing cud waiting to be slaughtered. Pretty boring.

Safari doesn't make sense in way for Apple because it is very un-vegan. One of the main points of a safari (at least it use to be) is to use high powered rifles to blast defenseless animals to smithereens. Then make your native servants clean up what ever mess you make, skin the animal and turn it into a rug to be displayed in your English country estate.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Not really. I grew up in Africa, Angola (when it was a portuguese colony). Many took place in dense wild jungle. I miss Africa.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    1. An overland expedition, especially one for hunting or exploring in eastern Africa.

2. A journey or trip: a sightseeing safari.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

1. An overland expedition, especially one for hunting or exploring in eastern Africa.

Hmm, actually that's right. There's lots of jungle around that region. Congo's mostly jungle. It is near the equator after all. I guess the Serengetti is farther south.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Hmm, actually that's right. There's lots of jungle around that region. Congo's mostly jungle. It is near the equator after all. I guess the Serengetti is farther south.

I would hope the dictionary is correct.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    I believe the music is from Massive Attack... the second album.