Netgear Router Help Needed

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I have a Netgear RP114 four port Router/Switch. I have been experiencing an annoying problem as of late. In the middle of surfing the web I am interrupted. Specifically, I am no longer able to surf the web or load any webpages. Furthermore, I can't receive e-mail or ping other computers. The only fix I have thus far is powering off the router and plugging it back in. This problem is specific to all web browsers on my system. It also affects all of my other computers on my home network. I don't believe it a problem with my cable access, since I don't have to power down my modem or get a new IP address.

I upgraded the router firmware a while back (to current version 3.26) and was fine for quite some time with the firmware upgrade. Netgear support site sucks. So I couldn't find any good info there.

Is my router shot? Has anyone else ran into this?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I use the identical router, but have never had any problems.

Here's what I would do to trouble shoot it:

1. When your router is working, go to http://192.168.0.1 to get to the admin page of the router. If you need, PM me and I can give you the default password and user.

2. Click MAINTENANCE on the left side bar

3. Select FILE on the left side bar

4. Click the Backup button to make a backup of the current router settings on your computer.

5. Once the Router stops working, repeat steps 1-3, and now restore the backup you made earlier.

If that doesn't work, I would:

6. Go to the SYSTEM STATUS (still under MAINTENANCE)

7. Click Show Statistics

8. Make sure that your WAN connection is active, and that there haven't been a slew of collisions.

Hopefully that will give you a better idea of what's happening... if the router settings are changing on the fly, or whatever.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    well since no one is helping me with my router prob in my thread, maybe u could tell me how to set it up. i have no idea how to get it to work.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

I use the identical router, but have never had any problems.

Here's what I would do to trouble shoot it:

1. When your router is working, go to http://192.168.0.1 to get to the admin page of the router. If you need, PM me and I can give you the default password and user.

2. Click MAINTENANCE on the left side bar

3. Select FILE on the left side bar

4. Click the Backup button to make a backup of the current router settings on your computer.

5. Once the Router stops working, repeat steps 1-3, and now restore the backup you made earlier.

If that doesn't work, I would:

6. Go to the SYSTEM STATUS (still under MAINTENANCE)

7. Click Show Statistics

8. Make sure that your WAN connection is active, and that there haven't been a slew of collisions.

Hopefully that will give you a better idea of what's happening... if the router settings are changing on the fly, or whatever.

Thanks for your reply. Question. How can I tell if my WAN connection is active??
  • Reply 4 of 13
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    I got this from my isp adelphia.net in a bullitin about that worm here it is i'm not sure if this is yourissue but when i saw "netgear" it triggered my memory

2. NETGEAR 4-port Home Networking Router Information:

Product Information: Model RP614 4-Port Cable/DSL Router with 10/100 Mbps Switch

An issue has been identified with NETGEAR routers and integrated cable modem/routers. The NETGEAR equipment generates IP broadcasts to other Internet users, which causes a degraded Internet experience.

The NETGEAR web site offers a solution for customers that have this product:

http://www.netgear.com/support/suppo...sp?dnldID=377#

Please Note:

Adelphia is providing this information to help you protect yourself from the MSBlast.exe virus and to prevent any NETGEAR equipment you may own from impacting other Internet users. Adelphia is not responsible for any damage to your computer from any source used to protect against this virus.

Thank you,
  • Reply 5 of 13
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Did you get to the statistics table?

Once there, you should see something like this:

Code:

Port Status ....

WAN [Name of Provider] ....

LAN 100M/Full ....

If your WAN port is active, you should see the name of your provider there... at least thats what mine does.

If the connection has been dropped for inactivity or whatever, it shows "idle".
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

I got this from my isp adelphia.net in a bullitin about that worm here it is i'm not sure if this is yourissue but when i saw "netgear" it triggered my memory

2. NETGEAR 4-port Home Networking Router Information:

Product Information: Model RP614 4-Port Cable/DSL Router with 10/100 Mbps Switch

An issue has been identified with NETGEAR routers and integrated cable modem/routers. The NETGEAR equipment generates IP broadcasts to other Internet users, which causes a degraded Internet experience.

The NETGEAR web site offers a solution for customers that have this product:

http://www.netgear.com/support/suppo...sp?dnldID=377#

Please Note:

Adelphia is providing this information to help you protect yourself from the MSBlast.exe virus and to prevent any NETGEAR equipment you may own from impacting other Internet users. Adelphia is not responsible for any damage to your computer from any source used to protect against this virus.

Thank you,

Thanks. My ISP is also Adelphia.net. My particular router has the most current firmware update. Can you provide a link on where you saw it on Adelphia's site?

Thanks
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Code:

Port Status ....

LAN 100M/Full ....

If your WAN port is active, you should see the name of your provider there... at least thats what mine does.

Thanks.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Code:

Port Status ....

LAN 100M/Full ....

Connection was dead. My WAN port is active. Any other suggestions.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Your connection might not actually be dead. Next time this happens, before unplugging your router, open up a Terminal window and type: ping 209.6.169.189

This is the IP address of my router, and if you can ping it, your connection is not down, only your ability to resolve domain names.

The theory is that your router is having a problem resolving domain names. Usually, in your computer's TCP/IP preferences, the DNS servers are set to your router, or 192.168.0.1. Well, if you can get the actual IP addresses for your ISP's name servers, input those in place of the router address. I had a Netgear RT314 router that had this issue. This was my workaround.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Your connection might not actually be dead. Next time this happens, before unplugging your router, open up a Terminal window and type: ping 209.6.169.189

This is the IP address of my router, and if you can ping it, your connection is not down, only your ability to resolve domain names.

The theory is that your router is having a problem resolving domain names. Usually, in your computer's TCP/IP preferences, the DNS servers are set to your router, or 192.168.0.1. Well, if you can get the actual IP addresses for your ISP's name servers, input those in place of the router address. I had a Netgear RT314 router that had this issue. This was my workaround.

Thanks.

But I am unable to ping other computers or IP addresses. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Dave
  • Reply 11 of 13
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Wow, I just picked up the same router a week ago and had the very same problem last night, and the same solution of powering the router down and turning it back on was the only thing we could figure out. I'll keep you guys poste
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Wow, I just picked up the same router a week ago and had the very same problem last night, and the same solution of powering the router down and turning it back on was the only thing we could figure out. I'll keep you guys poste

Who is your ISP? My is Adelphia.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    I believe it is RoadRunner from TimeWarner... I'll have to check on that, I let my roommate make the arrangements.